The online racing simulator
Guy shifting.... animations...
We need the guy takin his hand off the wheel and hitting that sequential gear box when were changing down for a big hairpin!!!

Really. tho... shud be simple for like sequential gearbox.. i mean.. just nothing fancy .. just the guy arm moving to where the gear stick is... no need for fingers grabbing round it and stuff.. and we could just make do with that for road cars with H shifters too... but yeah that would be awesome to see that!!!

dont you think???
i think the search button is a good idea on this one, many ideas have come and go, and there has always been a final answer to it: no

if you search, you can read tons and tons of threads on shifting animations, and why they wouldn't work to well sad to say
oh ok sorry.

DAM!!! that is dissapointing!!! Y wudnt it work tho???

awww... i think abotu that a lot when i play.. game really misses that.
I see my own hand moving when I shift... I can't even imagine driving with either the wheel or the driver visible in LFS - I already see one of each in front of the monitor
The animation would only begin when the gear button is pressed by the player, so it would lag by a tenth of a second, and look a bit silly.
#6 - Slopi
What about wearing a Wii like sensor on our shifting hand, and having it calibrated in the game for the distance from our wheels to our shifter, and it would scale the animation accodingly?

No?

Why not?!?!

I can still dream though :haha:
Actually I'm not convinced it'd look all that silly. NFS:Porsche managed it just fine. Oh no, flames incoming!

For anyone using a manual clutch, the arm could start moving as the clutch is pressed, then rest on the stick until the shift happens. No problem at all.
And for those using auto clutch, the arm movement would be a quick swing on the shift press as if it's happening in one smooth sweeping motion. The delay wouldn't be noticable at all.
Quote from Dajmin :
For anyone using a manual clutch, the arm could start moving as the clutch is pressed, then rest on the stick until the shift happens. No problem at all.

+1, sounds really great! Once again I got that "why haven't i thought this before" -feeling

Quote from Dajmin :
And for those using auto clutch, the arm movement would be a quick swing on the shift press as if it's happening in one smooth sweeping motion. The delay wouldn't be noticable at all.

Isn't this somewhat similar to GTR2's system? If so, it looks quite stupid imo..
Plus One.
We already got 'guy shifting... animations...'

Granted only in cars with flappy paddles.
it could move its hand to the shifter when it comes close the the shift point or so...
u understand?
There is no reason why the actual shift should be delayed because the animation can't keep up. Just shift gears as the player does, if the in-game driver can't keep up, crash the car. Should speed up thing eventually . As said, the in-game driver could move the hand on the shifter when the estimated shift time is closer. Same with handbrake
Quote from Hyperactive :As said, the in-game driver could move the hand on the shifter when the estimated shift time is closer. Same with handbrake

+1
Quote from Hyperactive :There is no reason why the actual shift should be delayed because the animation can't keep up. Just shift gears as the player does, if the in-game driver can't keep up, crash the car. Should speed up thing eventually . As said, the in-game driver could move the hand on the shifter when the estimated shift time is closer. Same with handbrake

Perhaps LFS could also learn when you shift, saving the RPM you usually hit the shifter at, and base it on that.
You guys have fun with your animations. As Batterypark said, I don't know how you all can race while seeing the wheel and driver's hands showing. At 60 or better FOV, you wouldn't see any "shift" animations anyways .
#16 - wark
Well, if all else fails, at least paddle-shifting in the BF1 should be easy to animate. Surely Eric has at least put some thought into this. I would not be surprised if something's already in the works.

P.S. (mrodgers) some of us drive with mice.
Quote from kiss me :it could move its hand to the shifter when it comes close the the shift point or so...
u understand?

Thats alrite for upshifts but when yur braking and shifting down quickly for engine braking how would lfs know where the shift point is?

Edit: -1 from me, in the games ive seen it in the small lag makes it look weird.
+1

It would look better with little lag than with magic gear changes. In NFS Porsche and Race:WTCC it is with lag. You don't notice lag while racing but you notice that there really IS gear change.

On some racing videos drivers are putting their hand on the stick about 1-2 sec before changing, and just moment after that both hands are on the wheel. It could look simillar in lfs.
They made the shifting work really well in GPL, so I am pretty sure they could do it on this magnificent game.
GTR2 has it and it does lag. what they could do is at a certan point the driver puts his hand on top of the lever and waits for the player to shift
When I showed LFS to a guy in a suit with money and an interest in sponsoring my league, the first thing he said was something about money, the second thing he said - whilst watching me drive - was how rigid the drivers arm looked.
Ive been asking for this for a long time so please add it soon with or without lag it will still make the game look more realistic than having the guys hands glued to the wheel

Guy shifting.... animations...
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG