The online racing simulator
XNA/360 support/port?
(9 posts, started )
XNA/360 support/port?
#2 - wien
That would require a total rewrite of the entire game, so I'm going to take a gander at "ain't gonna happen".
Quote from wien :That would require a total rewrite of the entire game, so I'm going to take a gander at "ain't gonna happen".

It's already a DirectX game.... I assume it's in C or C++ and moving to managed code is a PITA sometimes, but I haven't seen the source so that's why I'm asking those who have.
#4 - wien
But if you want it on the 360 using XNA, it all has to be managed code as far as I've been able to tell. That would take some serious re-engineering, and is not really feasable for a tiny team like the LFS devs, never mind having to maintain two (though similar) codebases and test on two platforms.
And LFS gets many many updates. What are you going to do about that on a 360?
Both
XNA runs on both windows and on the 360. So basically like moving from DriectX7 -> DirectX8-> DirectX9 -> DirectX10/XNA you get additional generic functionality so you don't have to write specific shaders/hardware calls for graphics pipelines and input/etc, but can write to a standard and then the hardware folks meet in the middle with their drivers. This time around though you not only get Windows/PC functionality but Windows/360 support. So it would allow you to have a uber powerful dedicated/streamlined PC (360) for $400 running LFS that runs way better than any PC you can put together for $400.

I am just wondering with Vista compatibility issues being addressed and looked at if they're looking also at the DirectX10/XNA hurdles, and if they would entertain compiling for the 360 in addition to XP/Vista.

LFS is written to DirectX8, correct? Moving to 9 with 10 out would be potentially non worthwhile.

As for patches, Xbox Live Marketplace has patches for many games every day, turn on, auto connects, auto detects update, asks you do you want it, Hit X, downloads, installs, reruns, boom. 5 seconds and one button press is how patches are handled. PLus the built in Voice chat/Music Streaming from any network device and other built in features of Xbox Live are nice. and come for free with the 360 OSes built in overlay accessible with the Xbox button.
i'd be all for this personally - i already have the MS wheel for the 360 and i'm waiting for them to release the peripheral for the PC to connect to 360's wireless devices, but if it was feasible to port to the 360, i could save myself $20, play the game on a much better PC, and all on a high-def TV!
XNA requires code to be written in C#, though, while LFS is written in C++. Going for multiplatform support, as awesome as it would be, would certainly require a lot of work, and as C# is managed code, the performance on lower-end PCs would suffer if they decided to move to XNA completely.
As for playing on a HD TV, I don´t see where the problem is in doing so with the current version. I am playing it on an HD TV.
Quote from OutzoneDX :XNA requires code to be written in C#, though, while LFS is written in C++. Going for multiplatform support, as awesome as it would be, would certainly require a lot of work, and as C# is managed code, the performance on lower-end PCs would suffer if they decided to move to XNA completely.
As for playing on a HD TV, I don´t see where the problem is in doing so with the current version. I am playing it on an HD TV.

i play on a 2.5 year old laptop that doesn't output the correct resolution to correctly view it on my HDTV...

XNA/360 support/port?
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG