The online racing simulator
Question about Heel-toe
(87 posts, started )
For those who are having trouble with the fluidity of your heel+toe techniques, this may be slightly more comfortable (don't know, this is just how I do it).

Usually I keep my right foot for the accelerator, and the left heel on the brake, and the left toes on the clutch. May be a little unorthodox, but it's worked for me for several years now. (Just make sure that you have good control over the muscles in your shin/calf/ankle, so that you don't press the brake harder than you intend, wouldn't want to cause any accidents out there on the road/track).

It may or may not help, but then again, it's all about what feels more natural, and is more flowing.
Never seen that before, would be fun if you maked a video of it.

What also helps heel and toe is having the thottle pedal further away, and the brake pedal closer (towards you), so when you look from the side you can see a difference of at least 1 cm between the pedals. I modded my g25 pedals like this and I'm only 2 tenths slower then my pb (which I did with the sequential setup).
The only problem I have is the speed of my downshifts, so most of the time I'm downshifting more then 1 gear (like going from 6th to 4th). Threshold breaking is also a big problem
I thought they tapped the brakes to make sure they still worked, which would especially make sense for the 24 hour races... But on the whole heel toe thing I have heard of either bending the brake closer to the throttle or to like install metal petals with slightly wider surfaces...notice I have only heard of this for regular cars not sure how it would work with the G25
Quote from mikey_G :
What also helps heel and toe is having the thottle pedal further away, and the brake pedal closer (towards you), so when you look from the side you can see a difference of at least 1 cm between the pedals. I modded my g25 pedals like this and I'm only 2 tenths slower then my pb (which I did with the sequential setup).
The only problem I have is the speed of my downshifts, so most of the time I'm downshifting more then 1 gear (like going from 6th to 4th). Threshold breaking is also a big problem

You are exactly correct. The idea is that when you have pressed the brake, the go and stop pedal will be on the same plane. That is the ideal. In reality, the gas should be slightly lower, just to make sure that you can slide your foot over if you have worn the brake pads or otherwise caused the brake pedal to overtravel.

Quote from Sidewayzmaster :I thought they tapped the brakes to make sure they still worked, which would especially make sense for the 24 hour races... But on the whole heel toe thing I have heard of either bending the brake closer to the throttle or to like install metal petals with slightly wider surfaces...notice I have only heard of this for regular cars not sure how it would work with the G25

I also do the brake check. I should get over it because by the time I realize that I have no brakes, the car will be quickly approaching my usual braking point. Just enough time to wave goodbye to the corner workers as I flash past.

Adding pedal pads should be fine on a G25 as long as there is enough support in the pedal hinge to take the offset load. I say this having not seen the setup in person. Anyway, the same issue is true for adding pads to a street car. You could always add a button to the shifter to provide a throttle blip. People have adapted this to actual racecars, so I would allow it.
Quote from mikey_G :Never seen that before, would be fun if you maked a video of it.

haha, as soon as christmas is over, I'll see what I can do about getting a decent enough camera to set up in my car, and I'll see if I can get it positioned correctly to show my feet on the pedals.
i have a ford ranger pick up truck with a 4 banger . It has a 5 speed and i heel toe it everywhere. when i first started i thought it would be impossible to do w/oi bending my pedals. but i adapted and just learned how to place my feet. i use the ball of my foot on the throttle and the just the right side of my foot to blip the throttle. I push the clutch in down shift and blip the throttle at the same time kinda as one movement.
Quote from Hatemaker :For those who are having trouble with the fluidity of your heel+toe techniques, this may be slightly more comfortable (don't know, this is just how I do it).

Usually I keep my right foot for the accelerator, and the left heel on the brake, and the left toes on the clutch. May be a little unorthodox, but it's worked for me for several years now. (Just make sure that you have good control over the muscles in your shin/calf/ankle, so that you don't press the brake harder than you intend, wouldn't want to cause any accidents out there on the road/track).

It may or may not help, but then again, it's all about what feels more natural, and is more flowing.

Mentioned that like 1 page ago as a suggestion, guess people do already use it. :P
Hmm, I guess you're right. Thought it was pretty uncommon as I've never known anyone else who does it that way.
You never know, maybe it was just us who thought of it at some point. How likely is that though? ;D
I have no problems with heel and toe, the only difference in the way I do it just like in my racing clutch is while braking I heel and toe almost at the same time.
the g25 is great, all pedals in line with each other.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Jertje :You never know, maybe it was just us who thought of it at some point. How likely is that though? ;D

Haha, pretty unlikely, but not impossible... I'd kinda like to know if anyone else here drives their real car that way?
Quote from Hatemaker :Haha, pretty unlikely, but not impossible... I'd kinda like to know if anyone else here drives their real car that way?

I heel toe all the time. Well anytime I'm braking heavily. I just can't stand the sound of the clutch wearing away without that blip. It is tricky however to get the blip delicate enough when you are doing normal road driving and not braking heavily. I find it much easier when I'm on track or slowing fast say on a motorway exit slip.
Quote from Gentlefoot :It is tricky however to get the blip delicate enough when you are doing normal road driving and not braking heavily. I find it much easier when I'm on track or slowing fast say on a motorway exit slip.

Other way around in my case. Maybe because I get too focused on the braking, even though I let the abs do its job. Not that it matters too much, but I often end up with more throttle than I really need.

Got my G25 yesterday, and doing it there is alot harder than in my real life BMW. Brake pedal should have been 3-4 cm higher, it hurts without shoes now!
Quote from hagenisse :Other way around in my case. Maybe because I get too focused on the braking, even though I let the abs do its job. Not that it matters too much, but I often end up with more throttle than I really need.

Got my G25 yesterday, and doing it there is alot harder than in my real life BMW. Brake pedal should have been 3-4 cm higher, it hurts without shoes now!

Heel toe in LFS is virtually impossible in some cars like the FOX because there are so many close gears and because they spin up so fast because they would have extremely light fly wheels.

When I'm on track IRL I heel toe perfect without even thinking about it. But then it's just maybe one downshift and not three in the space of 50 metres like in LFS
Quote :1. Brake.
2. Disengage clutch.
3. Blip throttle.
4. Shift down.
5. Engage (release) clutch.

Personally, 3 & 4 are basically simultaneous for me I think. It's hard to really picture it not being in my car atm, but I'm pretty sure I'm still moving the shifter while I blip the throttle.

As an aside, I drive a 92 Isuzu Amigo (compact 4x4 SUV kinda thing) so my pedals aren't exactly designed for racing, but it's easy enough for me to blip just by rolling my foot to the side a bit.
Quote from mikey_G :Never seen that before, would be fun if you maked a video of it.

Would you recommend doing that with the g25? Cause you mentioned threshold breaking is a problem.
For me, its more like

1. Brake

2. Disengage clutch, blip and shift down

3. Engage clutch

So I do it simultaneously. I'll record my feet and then play it in slow mo and get back to ya
well i'm sure it's been written before but this is the way i do it

coming up to a corner

1. Lift off accelerator
2. Braking hard
3. Clutch in
4. Into neutral
5. blip throttle
6. into gear
7. off clutch
8. All the while continueing to brake

Should be a real fast motion
1. Clutch (whether braking or not)
2. Blip + Shift
3. Release clutch

When the clutch is in, blipping and shifting do not interfere with each other anyway, so they can be done in any order or simultaneously. To save shifting time, of course you'd like to blip and shift simultaneously. The only important thing is that the moment you release the clutch, the revs are matched between the two sides of the clutch.
Quote from danben7 :well i'm sure it's been written before but this is the way i do it

coming up to a corner

1. Lift off accelerator
2. Braking hard
3. Clutch in
4. Into neutral
5. blip throttle
6. into gear
7. off clutch
8. All the while continueing to brake

Should be a real fast motion

Americans and Australians tend to have the weird opinion that double de-clutching is somehow a good thing in a modern racing car. Quite why I don't know, as all decent race cars and drivers have been heel&toeing for years now - double de-clutching only being used when absolutely necessary...
Quote from tristancliffe :Americans and Australians tend to have the weird opinion that double de-clutching is somehow a good thing in a modern racing car. Quite why I don't know, as all decent race cars and drivers have been heel&toeing for years now - double de-clutching only being used when absolutely necessary...

that's not double de clutching

3-7 was just step by step of what happens in 0.5 of a sec

for double de clutching i'd need to add another point after 4 of "let clutch out, then blip, then clutch back in again"
Oh yeah. Sorry. Skim reading, my bad I've just never seen gear changing require that many points!
urmmm

1)Clutch
2)Brake
3)blip
4)Shift down
5)Clutch out

thats how we do it anyhooo
Quote from =C.R= Boomshanka :urmmm

1)Clutch
2)Brake
3)blip
4)Shift down
5)Clutch out

thats how we do it anyhooo

Switch 1 and 2.

Leave it in gear while slowing. This is engine braking.
thats not engine braking thats using the tyers to brake the engine

clutch thern brake uses the grears to engine brake then when you shift down u blip works in the almera ?

(edit)

unles you meen left foot braking now thats a diffrent kettle of fish all together

Question about Heel-toe
(87 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG