The online racing simulator
#51 - Mc21
Quote from L(Oo)ney :I think a motion simulator should be required to play LFS. If you dont have a motion simulator, you shouldnt be allowed to play LFS.

This is an auto racing simulation after all and someone should program LFS to not allow the user to race without a motion simulator. *flame suit on*

Buy everyone 1 on this forum then.
Quote from Racer Y :LOL my daughter has one a those dance pads for the Playstation....wonder
what THAT would be like to use?

a Dance Dance Revolution pad i love that game, its good when its cold outside and you want to get some excercising in
i played GT4 once using one lol it was quite hard
had to use hands and feet though lol 2 legs were good enough for gas, brake, and turning
Quote from Mc21 :Buy everyone 1 on this forum then.

Sure, no problem. Im a millionaire, didn't you know?

Pm me your bank detail's, and i'll transfer the funds into your account.
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Sure, no problem. Im a millionaire, didn't you know?

Pm me your bank detail's, and i'll transfer the funds into your account.

Im sure u'll need his pin details too, so u can check if the transactions went thru....you know just incase.
I can keep up with any wheeler with my mouse with FOX. And im 1 sec off WR on BL GP. Having a mouse or k/b doesnt make you slow or noobish.....
Quote from tailing :Why do you say this? It's quite obvious that many many people get a great deal of enjoyment out of playing LFS without owning a wheel. Good on them and thanks to the devs for having the foresight to allow anyone with a PC to play LFS.

i say it cos its true. before i got a wheel, i found racing games boring and missing something. i cant stand digital controls on games that need analogue for starters (racing genre a pure example), and keyboard users will be utterly useless in the more powerful cars.

ever since i got my wheel, ive rediscovered my love for racing games. keyboard just sucks, specially for sims. if you really cant afford a wheel, and still enjoy games like LFS, then fair enough. i just couldnt stand playing with the keyboard.
All these arguments about input devices makes me wonder why some people seem to be so interested in what everyone else is doing.

I drive sims because it gives me a kick to drive. To pretend, if you will, to drive fast cars in ways and surroundings I do not get to experience in real life. And obviously MY driving experience is not in any way affected by whatever input device someone else use.

Personally I can't fathom why anyone would WANT to drive a reasonably realistic racing game with anything other than a wheel and pedals, but that's their problem. People can drive by manipulating potentiometers with their teeth for all I care.

As far as unfair advantages goes, well, IF those who complain can beat all other wheel drivers yet get their butts kicked by keyboard drivers, then we can have a talk about fairness. Until then I would recommend everyone to worry more about their own driving experience and less about what other people do.
As a serious player, I never drive in LFS unless I have heated the room up to about 50 degrees C, got a burning pot of oil going in the corner for the smell, and then asked a friend to stand behind me with a baseball bat ready to whack the side of my helmet whenever I hit a wall. Now that's realism.
Another PSX fan here. Best controller ever. For those who care to actually
know the truth, it's analog, and not digital.

Since everyone has gone around it a few times, i might as well too
The fact that cars use wheels and pedal is not from divine intervention.
If cars started out using joysticks, we might still be using a joystick
today and you'd ridicule people who use those, eh, 'wheels'. There isn't
much holding this argument together. Ignorance brings prejudice.
Quote from Fonnybone :Another PSX fan here. Best controller ever. For those who care to actually
know the truth, it's analog, and not digital.

Since everyone has gone around it a few times, i might as well too
The fact that cars use wheels and pedal is not from divine intervention.
If cars started out using joysticks, we might still be using a joystick
today and you'd ridicule people who use those, eh, 'wheels'. There isn't
much holding this argument together. Ignorance brings prejudice.

Hold on a minute...

I agree that the steeringwheel wasn't chosen by merit but it did turn out to be the best solution. Joysticks and various fantastic devices have been tested but none does the job any better then the good old wheel and for obvious reasons.
- Wheels can give the driver support without false input. When you get thrown about in the cockpit you don't end up accidentaly steering into a ditch. Try using your mouse or joystick in a baja1000 race (IRL) and you'll know what I mean. A good motion simulator could render stick or mouse pritty much useless. I've been driving a forktruck with a joystick (for operating the column) for a year and the manual advised not to hold the stick while driving. I've tried it, unloaded of course, and a not anticipated bump would shift the column sideways, enough to topple a load with high CoG.
- Joys don't have seperate axis (duh) so you can accidentaly give steering input while accelerating or braking and vise versa. Wheels don't have that problem but the same goes for mouse or joypad.
- Needless to say that wheels initially allowed for purely muscle driven control. Allthough powersteering is widely used these days, the wheel is still directly connected to the front wheels giving us control regardless wether powersteering is in working order. That would not be the case with joystick, keyboard or any of the 'alternatives'.

We can use those controlers because we are not doing the real thing so I would have to agree that wheel & pedals is The Way to Go for a serious racingsim.

Nevertheless, games are for fun so I don't mind getting beaten by keyboard or mouse users. It hurts but I'm getting used to it
Quote from Revzalot :Come on guys. Why did you buy LFS in the place? Because you wanted to experience the closest thing being into a race car right. Do you see race cars equiped with a mouse? No. 'nuff said.

I can garantue that LFS will lose allot of potentional buyers if the team decided to make it wheel only. If it was wheel only, I wouldn't have bought S2, nor S1.
I don't think LFS should exclude non-wheel users.

But so long as this game does not have any assists such as Traction Control and Anti-lock Brakes, racers without analog throttle and brake input are going to suffer a lack of control in most of the cars in this game.

I believe that is the root of this whole debate.

It's not about branding certain devices 'good' or 'evil'.

It's about whether the inherent lack of car control that comes with non-analog input devices poses enough of a risk that some form of limit should be imposed by server admins on their particular server.

I know a lot of keyboard racers and can vouch for their skill and courtesy so I'm not going to alienate them by any means.

But I do believe that the original poster's question is legitimate if worded a little differently.

Please see this thread I started in the Suggestions forum that I believe is a solution amicable to all:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=2362
Thing is, I may have never played the game had keyboard etc been banned. And never known how good it was. Now I've seen it I've bought a wheel. All I need now is a PC that can keep up with the frame rate. Always good to increase the number of people joining the game I reckon.
Quote from MyBoss :I can garantue that LFS will lose allot of potentional buyers if the team decided to make it wheel only. If it was wheel only, I wouldn't have bought S2, nor S1.

Yeah, You, me and about 3/4 of the people that play it.
Up until the day I stumbled across the demo, I thought only an IDIOT would
buy something as ridiculous as a wheel. You know, something only
a loser wannabe type could ever even want to own. LOL that was
about 2 1/2 years ago.... I've had this "goofy toy" for about 2 years now

THere really isn't enough people online at any given moment for anyone to be too concerned with what they play with.
Heck it's so bad now, I'd be happy to play with 3 other people in a 400 ping server, with them all using Key boards and being on dial up.

Off topic: Y'all think when the weather cools off more and rFactor loses it's "new" factor, things will get better?
#65 - Vain
1. Yes, the LFS community needs growth, restriction on input type restricts growth. Thus it's not an option.
It's that simple.
2. I must be more lucky than you, Racer Y. Just an hour ago I only needed 10 minutes to start a 5-driver race with my favorite car/track-combo.
And that's realy not "main time".
Anyway, the further LFS goes the more attention it gets. So when we have some cool effects here and some physics-tuning there we'll also get more reviews in the media and also more players. Oh yeah, and once in a while creating a "What is your opinion on LFS"-topic in some game-related forum is also good .

Vain
Well I guess the "problem" now is, that there are not many reviews in magazines, web, tv, because S2 is still alpha... I think (hope) we will see more reviews and thus more players when S2 full comes...

And on topic: banning other devices is not the way to go, imo all other control methods are harder than the wheel so there is no point banning them...
Quote from Racer Y :THere really isn't enough people online at any given moment for anyone to be too concerned with what they play with.
Heck it's so bad now, I'd be happy to play with 3 other people in a 400 ping server, with them all using Key boards and being on dial up.

OFFTOPIC: That S****.

Here in Europe it's much better. At night I can choose between around 10 servers with players and a ping below 60. Living in The Americas apperantly isn't fun when you want to play LFS. It IS an online game afterall
I use a gamepad. I can't afford a decent wheel and I'm not going to waste my money on some cheap piece of garbage. Besides, it doesn't make things any harder for you, just for me.

And I don't know what you're talking about. I'm Stateside and I don't have any problem finding a server with good ping (I consider a good ping less than 150 ms) They're out there. Just look.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG