The online racing simulator
Money No Object headphones with Mic
I want a new set and Santa is inbound, what pair do you recommened for LFS/Vent?
#2 - axus
I've got a pair of Sennheizer HD-595's (no Mic). In all honesty, LFS sounds better on my Creative 4400's. These Senn's are said to have a great sound-stage etc. (and for listening to music they really are on another level compared to most speakers). Maybe its something to do with having my Creatives' subwoofer on the floor behind my pedals and things like that that just make it feel that little bit more immersive with speakers. Having said that, I do hear tyre sounds much more accurately on my headphones so I drive better with them.
if money is no object.
nice lol
#6 - CSU1
The best mic I've used is a £1.99 clip-on tie mic.

I've tried desk-stand ones, headset+mic combos, webcams, etc. The cheapy mic gives the clearest sound, and will clip to the cable of any set of headphones, doesn't need batteries. Spend the money on a good set of headphones and get the cheapest clip on/tie mic you can find.

Ventrillo/TS/etc all compress your voice. The sound will be degraded, so you only need to have reasonably clear sound from your mic. The sound you'll listen to will most likely be generated by your computer (sound effects, music, etc) and you'll get the benefit of the better headphones.
Plantronics GameCom1 .... they are about £35. They have really good mic and really good sound quality
Stereo or mono? All the expensive ones seem to be stereo, which I don't want. Pump the game out the speakers, and the voice into your head (through the right ear). Mic is directional(ish) so only picks up your voice. Works for me.
Back when my Logitech headset broke, I was looking for a new headset. As previously mentioned in this thread, I eventually figured it was a much better idea to get a separate mic with a high quality set of headphones. I still haven't gotten a proper clip-on mic (I use the one on my old Logitech headset, little awkward but it works for now), but the headphones are amazing.

I'd planned on getting the Grado SR80's, but the place I went to didn't have them. They did however have a set of SR125's, as well as a demo set. I was sold on them immediately.

There was also a demo set of RS1's but I purposely avoided trying them. The basic rule of thumb is know how much you want to spend and don't listen to anything outside that price range. My father, however, was not planning on buying anything and listened to both the SR125's and RS1's. He's much more of an audiophile than me, but his hearing is rather poor these days. That said, he was still very impressed and noted the slight improvement in the RS1's.
Look to the Pro Audio/Tv Market if money is no object...
The Shure's listed earlier and some of the Sony broadcast MDR series (No, not their crappy walkman earbud series)

You'll find lots of high quality headphones with mics used it TV applications
The problem with studio monitor headphones is their response curve is dead flat. You'd think this would be desireable for general usage but it's not. The Grado's, on the other hand, make the high frequencies extremely clear, and are overall more musical.
OK, so there are two options then, broadcast ones with plugs that will need adaptors or quality headphones with a sepearate Mic.

For clarities sake - the headphones should cover the ear and be extremely comfortabl for long periods. The mic simply needs to do a decent job.

I though DJ ones might fit the bill?

Any further suggestions?
Forbin - I've read the 125s are very bright sounding and the worst of the Grado range. Do you find they have enough low end weight? The 80s are supposed to be the bassiest of the "cheap three" (60, 80, 125), and they weren't as weighty down there as I might have expected. I still like the sound though, clarity is great, if a bit sharp sounding (but never harsh).
Yeah, they can be a little bright, it's not bad though.
I have a mordaunt short surround sound system, with cambridge audio amplification, voice comes from a bluetooth headset for a mobile phone, paired as a normal headset via my bluetooth software, works a bloody treat, fits inside a helmet....

I can't believe I have publically confessed to playing lfs with a helmet on....
Quote from z3r0c00l :I have a mordaunt short surround sound system, with cambridge audio amplification

Sounds like you went shopping in the hateful hell-hole of Richer Sounds.
#20 - MR_B
Quote from z3r0c00l :I can't believe I have publically confessed to playing lfs with a helmet on....

I'll help share the shame - i've done that too. Quite fun really...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG