The online racing simulator
Software controlled AA&AF
(26 posts, started )
Ability to control AA and AF from within LFS, instead of having to rely on forcing them on in drivers.

ps. A quick search didn't bring up anything under the subject, although I suspect it may be suggested before.
#2 - ORION
I dont know any game where this works REALLY with all drivers and cards, so I think it would be quite impossible to make this 100% working.
Use some tool instead that sets the stuff in the cp before you launch it

But IF Scawen has an idea how to get this working, I will not say no
Same, i find it quite teh pain to have to change my nview settings all the time...
Most modern games do have the ability to choose AA level at least, some automatically selects aniso level, some allow manual select.

Personally I find it quite a hassle when having to open up the cp to select them.
I dont know about ATI (but im guessing its similiar), With Nvdia drivers you can set a Profile that relates to a particular .exe (lfs.exe). So every time you start that .exe your gfx settings are changed automatically for that game, when you exit the game your default settings are reverted.

The only reason i would like AA + AF supported in game is that some times when i Shift-F4, to check a website or somthing, and then go back to the game my AA + AF turn off and i have to restart the game.
If you buy a fast enough graphics card you can run every game with max FSAA and AF anyways.
#7 - ORION
6800GT here, and Im not using it at all. Today's GFX cards are simply too slow to use it. When I play FEAR for example, I get very low fps already (like 30), and I dont want to decrease it even more...
Quote from Bob Smith :If you buy a fast enough graphics card you can run every game with max FSAA and AF anyways.

7800 GT here. But AA / FSAA screws with Java, ie Limewire so I cannot have it on when running limewire.
:revs:FX5200 here
Quote from seggons :7800 GT here. But AA / FSAA screws with Java, ie Limewire so I cannot have it on when running limewire.

You have too much money. Or too little sense. Or both. While I've no problem with the card, it's ridiculously far from being value for money.
That said I want Lamborghini. But hey at least you can pull women with a flash car.
What, and you're telling me the line "hey, lets come back to my place - i'll show you my 7800GT" wont work on the ladies? If so is that why my "hey lets come back to my place and I'l show you a perfectly streamlined debian server" doesnt work on the missus?
I just use RadLinker.
I woudl love to see this. I get fed up of putting 4AA and 4AF on to run LFS, then when i go on counter stike source my PC runs badly because i forgot to turn it off again.
Jeez, just set up a profile in the driver settings to only turn on AA and AF when LFS is executed. That's what I did. I'm running the NVIDIA 78.01 drivers.

BTW, LFS looks incredible at 2048x1280 with 8x AA and 16x AF on my 6800GT.
#15 - jmkz
Quote from Bob Smith :You have too much money. Or too little sense. Or both. While I've no problem with the card, it's ridiculously far from being value for money.

actually, it's one the best values for money card at this moment; the 7800GT lets you run every game at 1600x1200 with 4x AA en 16x AF (except for F.E.A.R. )

the 6800GT is already on the "slow" side of the scale, and it's price is still too high, while the 7800GT can be found for ~€400, and is more than double the speed of the 6800GT.

there are enough games which use in-game AA&AF settings which work perfectly (Half Life2 / Doom3), but I much prefer the nVidia game profile manager to hook a certain IQ setting to an .exe
Quote from Bob Smith :
That said I want Lamborghini. But hey at least you can pull women with a flash car.

Hey baby! Wanna ride home with me and see my sweeeeet 7800 GT?

(they might mistake it for sum hot expensive car)
Quote from Forbin :Jeez, just set up a profile in the driver settings to only turn on AA and AF when LFS is executed. That's what I did. I'm running the NVIDIA 78.01 drivers.

Stupid question. How?

Ive spent ages trying to do it and i just cant get it to play ball. Make a profile for LFS, edit it and it edits every other game too to match the settings.
You have to return the menus at the top under "Application profiles" to read:

Application: Using global driver settings
Active Profile: - Global driver settings

Do this after you create and setup the profile for LFS and it will only set the settings in LFS. Also make sure the "- Global driver settings" profile has the options turned off.
Got it, cheers
Quote from DratsaB :I dont know about ATI (but im guessing its similiar), With Nvdia drivers you can set a Profile that relates to a particular .exe (lfs.exe). So every time you start that .exe your gfx settings are changed automatically for that game, when you exit the game your default settings are reverted.

It's not the same for ATI. I have to manually change the settings everytime I start the game. You can setup profiles, and the profiles can run a exe, but the settings remain until you change the profile, even after exiting the game. I'll be investing in a nVidia card soon, don't know why I ever changed to ATI

It would be alot easier if AA & AF were included ingame

(Sorry, I know this is an old thread)
hm, does anyone realize that the higher the resolution u use the smaler the pixels per inch get, and therfore the less visible stair effects on uneven lines get.
so use the upmost res and youre fine unless you play lfs @ 10cm from your screen
Micha, even on my Sony FW900 24" widescreen CRT with a max res of 2048x1280 (limited by my video card, the monitor itself can go higher), aliasing is very noticeable.
well i doubt that, but if u say so.
indeed you can see the difference between 1600x1200 and higher res.
but when i'm playing relaxed with a good meter space between my eyes and the screen even on 16x12 i have to look hard to see artifacts.
but mostly that doesn't concern me in the heat of a race...
Quote from Bob Smith :You have too much money. Or too little sense. Or both.

The 7800GT is a very good card considering its pricetag, especially when you think i spent £220 on a 6800 last year. if you want ripped off then get a 7800GTX 512mb, as thats expensive.
Quote from Forbin :Micha, even on my Sony FW900 24" widescreen CRT with a max res of 2048x1280 (limited by my video card, the monitor itself can go higher), aliasing is very noticeable.

Exactly, 1600x1200 with 8xAA looks better than 2048x1536 with noAA on my monitor.

AA does have a downside though, at low resolutions (less than 1024) it just makes thingy a bit blurry, particularly text, and your screen resembles a console game on a TV (i.e. horrible).

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG