The online racing simulator
Drifting in LFS
(8 posts, started )
Drifting in LFS
Hi.

I have discovered that drifting in LFS2 is quite fun. So have alot of others. I have seen some addon with a point system.

This work very good but its not official.

If anyone out there is thinking yeah that drifting need to be more serious heres a suggestion.

Rules are simple. Cars race against each other like in a normal LFS2 race. Only thing is that points are beeing collected for drifts. But the winner get his points doubled up. That is done so that noone can use 1½ hour per lap and collect 68745132184312 points per lap... That means that like in real d1 multicar races there is a winner of the race like in normal racing but here you need to mix good drifting with speed to get more points..

Just a suggestion guys..
#2 - Jakg
and how exactly are you suposed to assign points?
Quote from monzta :
Rules are simple. Cars race against each other like in a normal LFS2 race. Only thing is that points are beeing collected for drifts. But the winner get his points doubled up. That is done so that noone can use 1½ hour per lap and collect 68745132184312 points per lap.

This still doesn't work well if "looser" drives more that 2x more than "winner".
In LFSLapper this is solved in a way that speed influences on score more than angle (score = sum(angle*speed^2)). Cheating (turning car around) is (sort of) prevented by defining minimum speed to maintain, which is not so good, but it was the best solution I was able to found and it's easy to implement.

As I intend to rewrite LFSLapper, I am interested in better solution. However, since I am no a drifter nor I have any knowledge how RL scoring works, any suggestion is welcome .
Well, IRL, there are a couple of things that are unmeasurable, like 'amount of smoke' and artistic appeal. So they're pretty subjective really. Other than that, its angle and speed, which are measurable, so i think you're on the right track with it, just gotta make sure your drifting when scoring, as opposed to having a long winded off (where most of my points come from.)
#5 - Panda
i honestly think the whole point system is rediculous, i see people spin and recover at 100 mph on a straight ending up with 10k or going off into the dirt, still sliding non the less. its not a real basis of good driving, (line, angle, etc) its just how much you can "slide" your car around any way with out going below 30 mph (or whatever the limit is). dont get me wrong, i can still get 30k in a lap, but it doesnt tell me if i had a good line or not.

real drifting competions, such as D1GP, are based out of 100 points, depending on your line, angle, speed, etc. you get XXX/100. spin (also going off the road) you get zero, understeer gets you zero.
Quote from Panda :i honestly think the whole point system is rediculous, i see people spin and recover at 100 mph on a straight ending up with 10k or going off into the dirt, still sliding non the less. its not a real basis of good driving, (line, angle, etc) its just how much you can "slide" your car around any way with out going below 30 mph (or whatever the limit is). dont get me wrong, i can still get 30k in a lap, but it doesnt tell me if i had a good line or not.

real drifting competions, such as D1GP, are based out of 100 points, depending on your line, angle, speed, etc. you get XXX/100. spin (also going off the road) you get zero, understeer gets you zero.

The scoring system is flawed of course, but it is still very well executed when the driver is performing properly on the track. And some drivers (like me) actually find it helpful and informative (on the drifts)

For some of the better drifters out there (LFS wise), the scoring system can actually be a pretty useful tool for them to evaluate their own drifts, and from there on, they can understand in which aspects they're lacking at the moment, speed? or angle?

I had fun in servers that uses this drift scoring system. I think it can be a pretty good tool for drift competitions too, with someone to monitor on of course.
once that thing (LFSLapper) gets on the server everyone turns in to a nervous point whore... sad...but true...
Or... you could do things just like in real life and have human judges judging competition =)

Drifting in LFS
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG