The online racing simulator
So who uses left foot braking?
(115 posts, started )

Poll : Do you left or right foot brake?

Left foot braking is the only way
Right foot is what I use, why any other?
Quote from george_tsiros :I only said that it is not a very good idea to simultaneously brake and downshift.

No disrespect intended: but IRL I allways downshift when I am braking (RFB Manual shift car) as I see no need to lift off the brakes for a downshift and use engine braking and wheel brakes simultaneously also

Maybe I am not understanding you correctly?

SD.
george_tsiros, So what do you do when you downshift, let off the brakes? Must be pretty scary driving behind you at times. Unless I've misread what you put.

I agree though downshifting isn't 99% of the time while braking. My parents Citroen C4 auto is forced to downshift to crawl up most hills, one particular hill on the way back from town is only a 11% incline and yet when you hit it at 50mph in 4th, it has to come down into 2nd to avoid dropping below 40mph. Then it'll jump between 2nd and 3rd a few times unless you put sport on to keep it in 2nd longer. Stupid car.
LFB on lfs, RFB on real cars... i should start using LFB on real cars mm maybe it has some benefit like faster reactions
Quote from tristancliffe :Advanced Drivers are generally the worst, least safe drivers on the road

That is utter rubbish. What grounds do you have to say that? I can prove advanced driving (ie. with RoadCraft - the same technique the police use) is statistically safer.

I've been in the IAM for 11 years - fair enough I've 'tweaked' my driving style to suit me (ie. heel & toe etc...) but it taught me on hell of a lot about observation and anticipation, I can cover more ground faster than most other drivers and a considerable amount safer.

Sorry man, that statement is utter bollox.

PS I'm also a Qualified Observer for the IAM.
Quote from Jakg :erm - sorry for being a noob, but what IS Left Foot Braking? just using the left foot?

Yah. There's a number of reasons why. First, you save a little time because you don't have to move your feet to get from the gas to the brake pedal. Rally drivers use it a lot because they spend so much time quickly jumping betwen braking and accelerating, in track racing this is less critical. Second, you can press both gas and brake at the same time, which can be advantageous in certain circumstances, especially in FWD cars..

What's fun is watching someone who uses both heel-and-toe and LFB. Someone once said, "It's like he's playing DDR down there"
The police driving record is at an all time low. They have SO MANY accidents it's untrue. Saying "I'm as good as shit drivers" isn't really self promotion
Saying that Roadcraft trained drivers are less safe than non-Roadcraft trained drivers is still rubbish.
I don't quite get "Saying "I'm as good as shit drivers" isn't really self promotion"
#83 - Nard
I started playing racing games on my Momo racing RFB, but pretty quickly I found out LFB was more precise. I guess when most road cars have automatic clutch/sequential transmissions, LFB will become a more valid technique for racers, but having to use 3 pedals on a manual, it feels a lot more natural (and well, when you're pressing the brakes, you don't want to release it to clutch in, lol) to RFB.

I guess it's just an adaptation...
there is no need to use rgiht to brake
Quote from TyresHot :there is no need to use rgiht to brake

Err what about when you left is on the clutch?

SD.
I started to race in LFS about the same time that i started driving in real life and in LFS I use LFB and IRL RFB, damn that was too many abreviations for once sencente lol
Mixed in LfS, RFB in RL...

I tried LFB in real-life once, but my left foot isn't sensitive enough... Although I consider spending a sunday in an empty shopping car park to train LFB...
Quote from RiGun :I started to race in LFS about the same time that i started driving in real life and in LFS I use LFB and IRL RFB, damn that was too many abreviations for once sencente lol

Nope, you missed the first IRL abbreviation, hehe .

I think alot of it for us has to do with IRL, you are pushing a pressure sensitive pedal where with a PC controller, you are pushing a rotating axis. It is a big difference and hinderance to the current consumer PC wheel controler.
#89 - Goop
LFB in open wheelers, RFB with heel-toeing (G25) in tin-tops.

I'm experimenting with some left-foot braking in corners where there's no need to change gears, but so far not much success... shit I'm un-co with the heel-toeing caper
i left foot brake for the raceabout it helps settle the car
Well in LFS I always LFB because it is faster, and it's like using cart pedals (Black momo).
In real life, just casual driving I right foot brake, but when I autocross I use my left foot sometimes for certain corners.
I use right foot braking in both Real Life and LFS, LFB just seems so unnatural for me, as well as being far less comfortable. I'm reasonably quick with RFB, and I don't really run across many situations where I feel LFB is needed, although I do on occasion stabilize the car with my left foot.

While karting, though, LFB feels very natural.

Edit: I use a two pedal setup in LFS, just a stock DFP, and I drive an automatic in real life (unfortunately )
Right foot for the win!
#94 - Davo
IRL it's RFB unless I'm driving and old wonr out hunk of junk car that stalls when the revs drop, then I'llLFB and I got pretty good at it by driving dogy cars in the mornings.

When I had my momo many moons ago LFB was very natural and easy to do. It just felt right and I noticed it was faster as well. Now witht he G25 unfortunately I just can't do it, not bcause I use the clutch, its because I'm suddenyl unco and can't use the left and right at the same time anymore. I don't even use the clutch so I really have no excuse. It just takes too much effort to train myself in LFB now I tihnk it's too late
Both! normally my right foot is taking care of braking and throttle duties. while my left is busy with the clutch. sometimes I use a bit of left foot braking in fast bends when i want to slow the car a little without upsetting the balance too much.
Unlike you chaps i have done both gas and brake on left foot only and well it takes a little practice and a little finesse, also i get bored using the right foot so i switch to all left for both gas and brake in real life , not in lfs, in lfs i use left for brake and rgiht for gas, but i guess iam special, even though iam a righty i can switch at any time, even playing soccer i can use the other leg to do the same task.
#97 - Woz
I voted LFB but tend to LFB or RFB depending on the situation, car and current car state/balance, what is easier or required at the time.

LFB is just a tool and not required. I know that some of the top drivers in the Aussie V8 series RFB only.
I left foot brake because I raced go karts for a long time before I drove a car and it feels more natural to me. When I drive an automatic in real life I LFB, I had a big argument with my driving instructor about this and apparently it's dangerous It all depends on the user though and what feels comfortable and this thread definately proves that, so up yours driving instructor man dude.
Quote from stjuart :Unlike you chaps i have done both gas and brake on left foot only and well it takes a little practice and a little finesse, also i get bored using the right foot so i switch to all left for both gas and brake in real life , not in lfs, in lfs i use left for brake and rgiht for gas, but i guess iam special, even though iam a righty i can switch at any time, even playing soccer i can use the other leg to do the same task.

I do believe you have your right and left mixed up. Either that, or due to the bolded quote, you sir, should not be on the road. Please do not come where I am and drive. It is nearly impossible to use the left foot for throttle and definitely unsafe to use it.

I of course just assume that you have left/right mixed up .
Quote from Gentlefoot :It does depend on driving style - you are right. At turn in I am always off throttle so to use throttle to turn better is not an option for me. I am still needing to scrub off speed between the turn in point and the apex. I guess you must have a completely different approach to the first part of the corner.

You are right, I brake before corner and acclerate trought the corner, I have found out that this way I get much better exit speed and control.
Of course sometimes there is other cars and some battles going on, then nothing of this applies as typically you can't make optimal cornering when fighting from position, lines are different and braking points varies a lot.

So who uses left foot braking?
(115 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG