The online racing simulator
So who uses left foot braking?
(115 posts, started )

Poll : Do you left or right foot brake?

Left foot braking is the only way
Right foot is what I use, why any other?
left foot, but then again, apart from a few lessons, ive never really driven a real car. just go karts and motorbikes.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#52 - Jakg
Quote from horrgakx :Yeh exactly. It is quite complex and requires some time to master, especially on the road/track.

ah, i can see how you want to have (irl) one foot on the clutch, and then hve the other between brakes and acelerator, but in LFS auto-clutch is quickest, so the clutch can be forgotten, leaving you with 1 foot per pedal

LFB for me then, clutch is for when i need to spool the turbo!
Left hand brake
Quote from JTbo :Maybe some cars then gain some advantage from that, but I have not needed that in RWD, in FWD and AWD I use LFB to get them turn better, in RWD I do that with throttle completely. Maybe depends also from driving style.

It does depend on driving style - you are right. At turn in I am always off throttle so to use throttle to turn better is not an option for me. I am still needing to scrub off speed between the turn in point and the apex. I guess you must have a completely different approach to the first part of the corner.
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :You might have a different definition of "smooth" to me anyway - you're a bit quicker than I am.

Maybe I'm quicker with auto clutch but you would probably destroy me with manual from what I've seen
#56 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :Let's drag.

fine - ill use a manual for it, although it will probably slow me down!

Auto-clutch out weighs shifting, because you can get on the power earlier
If I'm using all 3 pedals I RFB almost always. If I just need to dab the brakes I'll LFB to save time but thats the only time I really use it. Started doing this almost a year ago, now RFB feels as natural as LFB does. It has affected my driving style though, I don't trail brake as much and always have my foot back on the throttle just before the apex, my laptimes have only improved since going to 3 pedals though.

If I'm in a single seater I switch to the paddles and auto clutch, and thus always LFB. For road cars/GTR's though 3 pedals, H shifter & RFB is always used. IRL its rare I LFB, normally end up stabbing it a bit too hard.
What i have understood it is only really necessary in *race* cars... almost any production car even "sports" cars will not benefit much from it. In this context.

i mean, it is necessary to do it in BF1/FO8/FOX/XRR otherwise the car won't behave as it is supposed to.
In RAC/LX you can do it, but you won't benefit very much from it, you can still get within one second or less of WR without doing leftfoot braking.

have i understood it correctly?
LFB in LFS, only when I had home-made clutch for a while I used RFB when needed to brake and shift down simulatenously.

IRL I always RFB(thats how you are taught to do it and IRL you often need to brake+downshift), I havent find a time and empty road yet to try LFB.....
-
Quote from MadCatX :and IRL you often need to brake+downshift

I am not very sure about this, but from what i learned it is not a very good idea to brake while downshifting. Someone who has taken safety courses etc could enlighten me, but something tells me that this is a bad habit that most of us have.
Umm... what? 99% of the time, the only time you'll need to downshift is whilst braking. Or are you one of these 'modern' airy fairy drivers that say you mustn't change gear until you've stopped, or never use the gears for slowing down.

Advanced Drivers are generally the worst, least safe drivers on the road. Do not learn their bad and ill-thought habits, for you will surely die on the roads someday. Maybe not surely, but it'll increase your chances.
I use LTB.

*Left Thumb Braking*

Damn keyboard, getting a wheel soon tho
Quote from george_tsiros :I am not very sure about this, but from what i learned it is not a very good idea to brake while downshifting. Someone who has taken safety courses etc could enlighten me, but something tells me that this is a bad habit that most of us have.

LMOA - I'm glad you're not very sure about it. Tell whoever told you that to take their head out of their backside.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I meant with each of us using our preferred methods, and you're quite comfortably quicker as I observed in the ESL races earlier this year.

Why sir, your words flatter me
i use my right foot for throttle, right foot for brakes, and left foot for, scratching my right leg
Always a bit amusing when someone doesn't downshift during braking, and ends up trying to take a roundabout at 20mph in 4th gear because they forgot to when they let off the brakes.
Quote from Rtsbasic :Always a bit amusing when someone doesn't downshift during braking, and ends up trying to take a roundabout at 20mph in 4th gear because they forgot to when they let off the brakes.

Yeah - they are usually about 85 years old
Quote from george_tsiros :I am not very sure about this, but from what i learned it is not a very good idea to brake while downshifting. Someone who has taken safety courses etc could enlighten me, but something tells me that this is a bad habit that most of us have.

down shifting when braking is the best idea m8, but there is a fine balance, do it too fast and you will probs lock up the driving wheels. do it too fast and to often and you will blow your engine. but do it just right and you can brake later and enter a corner faster (slightly). we call it engine braking

and i LFB always have, always will. i show my brother how to do this and he is much better on nfs carbon (but you don't need to brake much on that game)lol
i personally use engine breaking alot, as i do in real life. not sure if its tought in cars, but it is a part of even the CBT for motorcycles, 3 brakes. front, back and engine.
Quote from v4forlife :left foot, but then again, apart from a few lessons, ive never really driven a real car. just go karts and motorbikes.

So.... do you right hand brake or right foot brake or both? LOL
I can´t vote here because I do both. It depends on the Car, Situation and which Sim I use. In RBR i.e. I LFB.
In LFS it mainly depends on the Car. In the Single Seaters I only use the Clutch on the Start. Then my Left Foot is on the Brake. In the Cars with H-Shift I mainly use RFB, but there are some Situations where LFB is good to stabilize the car. And in RallyX it looks like dancing on the Pedals. It´s so much fun to mix LFB and RFB, shifting in between etc. The FZ5 on BL RallyX rocks

I have the G25 used just for a few days now but slowly I get used to it. Before I only used the Left Foot for braking. But now I mix it depending on what I mentioned above.
Rfb
My clutch is a seperate pedal set to my brake an throttle. just the way everthing is setup its near imposible for me to LFB with out causing some injury , clutch is just too far away from brake
-
roll on x-mas ;)
ATM I only use LFB in lfs it feels more like driving "kart style" and feels very natural and allowing huge throttle blips to help with rapid decelleration , however I will probably have to learn H+T all over again when the G25 eventually turns up (thats if I am a good boy)

So Santa if your reading this hurry up down my chimney with that wheel

SD.
LFB while on a DFP in front of a computer, mostly RFB in normal driving.
Used to experiment a bit with the "classic" rally LFB in my late Lada Samara on dirt roads - most regular "modern" cars cut the throttle when you press the brakes, so you can't get sideways with them.
That said I do occasionally feather the brakes with my left foot on longer turns when driving a bit more "spirited" - I own a Ford Focus now and it reacts very well to small brake input if I feel I'm going a bit too fast for my own good

Will be getting a G25 sometime - I wonder how "natural" it will feel to use clutch-H-shifter-RFB after doing something different for years..
Quote from tristancliffe :Umm... what? 99% of the time, the only time you'll need to downshift is whilst braking. Or are you one of these 'modern' airy fairy drivers that say you mustn't change gear until you've stopped, or never use the gears for slowing down.

Advanced Drivers are generally the worst, least safe drivers on the road. Do not learn their bad and ill-thought habits, for you will surely die on the roads someday. Maybe not surely, but it'll increase your chances.

i didn't expect you to reply in this manner to me, but what the hell. i'll bite.

99% of the time, it isn't. many, many more times than 1%, i downshift when i want to overtake someone. while cruising i keep the engine slightly lower than where the peak is (2K? 2.5?).

i am not "airy fairy" nor modern, and i can not comprehend how can someone slow down without changing gears.

I use engine braking.

i do not know who are these "Advanced Drivers" you speak of, but i certainly am not in their mailing list.

I only said that it is not a very good idea to simultaneously brake and downshift.

A minor detail: i was talking about everyday driving. I haven't yet done "racing".

So who uses left foot braking?
(115 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG