The online racing simulator
The Formula V8 - why not?
(139 posts, started )
The FO8 is one of the easiest cars to drive in LFS, harder than the FOX/BF1 sure but nothing compared to the XRR/LX6/RAC etc. (none of which are that hard cars to drive either). I love the FO8 because it detracts people who drive the FOX like touring cars because of the fairly non-exsistant damage model. It requires some discipline but is easier to get into a rythm and be consistant with than the BF1 IMO and provides much better racing than the other open wheelers, more passing/proper racing than the BF1, less stupid driving/wrecking/blocking and generally free of the stupid noobends found in a FOX server.

This is so simple.
Its not the fastest, and its not the easiest to drive. There you have it.
#53 - MR_B
Maybe using FE4R on our numberplates to show our support for the f08 would be a good thing? :P Then we'll see who loves this forgotton beast *little nod*
The FO8 dosen't have plates
#55 - joen
really?
I think you missed his point
Quote from ajp71 :The FO8 is one of the easiest cars to drive in LFS, harder than the FOX/BF1 sure but nothing compared to the XRR/LX6/RAC etc. (none of which are that hard cars to drive either). I love the FO8 because it detracts people who drive the FOX like touring cars because of the fairly non-exsistant damage model. It requires some discipline but is easier to get into a rythm and be consistant with than the BF1 IMO and provides much better racing than the other open wheelers, more passing/proper racing than the BF1, less stupid driving/wrecking/blocking and generally free of the stupid noobends found in a FOX server.

I wouldn't say that it is one of the easiest. Getting a good exit in FO8 is a lot harder than in any other than BF1. Even in the GTRs the rear end comes back quite easily compared to FO8. Though in higher speeds the FO8 is like on rails, but still requires some smoothness to hold the grip. The LRF class cars don't have high speed stability The LRF cars are hard to drive fast but usually losing control means just long (long long) slides, while in FO8 you spin
I saw it was already mentioned, but I'd like to give a bit more details

For any of you wishing to race the FO8 in a league, visit owrl.de. Next saturday, 20:00 CEST we'll race at Kyoto GP Long. Together with the next pre-season race, 5 spots in div A are to be earned for S2 Season 5, which will be using the FO8, starting in September. More info on that later this week.
I dont bother with BF1 cuz the netcode cant take the speed. Its so warpy. But love the V8 but its same bad warp on starts also.
Im still waiting for the day when they will boost the 20 car limit and make a better netcode.
It's not the netcodes fault per se, it's the start method. At the moment the cars are locked (and the position packets are not sent afaik, unless you reset, althouhg the steering position obviously is etc).

At the start the cars are unlocked, and all the cars move at once, and the netcode (which is usually fine) can't cope with this sudden burst.

As soon as the starts are changed to more human controlled starts (rather than computer locked), and the netcode is working as normal even at this point, then the starts will be lag free. Imagine doing a drag race on Blackwood - every starts at the same time, and there is no lag, thus the net code isn't the problem as such.

The warpy Saubers are partly caused by poor individual connections (incl. the server itself), and partly because LFS doesn't guess where the car will be in between packets. In a way this is good - what you see is what your computer is told, but in a way it's bad because cars can 'jump' 20ft to the left all of a sudden. Maybe an error check can be used at this point, so that the cars can't just jump.

Anyway, I'm sure all these things will get improved in time, and I bet Scawen is aware of the shortcomings.
#60 - VIP
Quote from ZORER :I think FO8 is very similar to the GP2 car.

I disagree, because I don't believe the real GP2 car itself is so difficult to drive.

I think LFS is a serious simulator and I like it, but I too think they exaggerated a bit with the Formula V8. It should be one of the most played cars on pickup races, but it's not easy to see a server running this car, because it is unrealistic difficult to drive, sometimes frustrating since you can't run 10 laps with it without a spin. That's why people prefer the the FOX - slower, uglier, worse engine sound, but you can race wheel to wheel, you can have fun races with it.

I think the game developers should pay attention to this issue. They have an almost dead car in the game, and exactly the car that was probably thought to be the most popular between online racers.
#61 - aoun
In the FO8, some tracks im super fast, others im super slow... still.. when the FO8 is an option, i always pick it.. its my fav in LFS!! .
Quote from VIP :I disagree, because I don't believe the real GP2 car itself is so difficult to drive.

I think LFS is a serious simulator and I like it, but I too think they exaggerated a bit with the Formula V8. It should be one of the most played cars on pickup races, but it's not easy to see a server running this car, because it is unrealistic difficult to drive, sometimes frustrating since you can't run 10 laps with it without a spin. That's why people prefer the the FOX - slower, uglier, worse engine sound, but you can race wheel to wheel, you can have fun races with it.

I think the game developers should pay attention to this issue. They have an almost dead car in the game, and exactly the car that was probably thought to be the most popular between online racers.

The F08 is not difficult at all. There are much harder cars to drive than that in LFS. F08 is just a more powerful FOX in my books, just a bit more interesting since it is not so much `on rails`. I just think you are stepping over the limit of grip too often

You'd think you were talking about the F08 before we had a physics update...

Keiran
#63 - VIP
I disagree that "F08 is just a more powerful FOX". It's not about power, but the way the car reacts.
#64 - aoun
I know it sounds like im boasting, but its a pretty easy car to drive.. once you get the feeling and all, you know what the car can and cant do.. so how could it be so hard?

But with VIP, i guess he could be right.. none of us really know what a GP2 car handles like.. but the thing is.. it isnt a GP2 car exact.. it could be BASED on it or SELECTED as a GP2 car (because its 1 below the BF1) but that doesnt mean its a GP2 car..
Quote from aoun :I know it sounds like im boasting, but its a pretty easy car to drive.. once you get the feeling and all, you know what the car can and cant do.. so how could it be so hard?

But with VIP, i guess he could be right.. none of us really know what a GP2 car handles like.. but the thing is.. it isnt a GP2 car exact.. it could be BASED on it or SELECTED as a GP2 car (because its 1 below the BF1) but that doesnt mean its a GP2 car..

The FO8 is based on an F3000 car.

http://www.liquimoly.de/web/lm ... d002b148b/$FILE/F3000.JPG
Quote from VIP :I disagree that "F08 is just a more powerful FOX". It's not about power, but the way the car reacts.

The car to me reacts in what I feel is a realistic manner. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. I don't know what you really excpect the car to do? Its easy to correct when you step slightly over the limit, it's fairly easy to feel when your close to the limit... I just can't see what is wrong with it in a such a manner that you call it unrealistic.
#67 - VIP
So if the car is so easy to drive as you are saying, tell me why people do not use it online. Give me a reason for this.

A F3000 car should be very popular in a racing game. It's not in LFS, so something might be wrong with it. The last patch made it easier to drive but not enough to make people change their minds, I suppose. I almost never see servers racing the FV8, and when I see it there are only two or three players.

In my opinion the risk of spinning when reaccelerating is exaggerated and unrealistic. I'm not a professional driver, and who am I to tell the developers how the game cars should behave, but I don't think we have something similar to what happens with F-3, GP2, F-Renault, F-Vauxhall, whatever cars. We don't see those guys spinning that much although they are inexperienced rookies driving low tech cars.

I repeat: Formula V8 is practically dead to online races. And it's a real shame. The car is fun for driving some slow laps in single mode but too difficult and "sensitive" for wheel to wheel battles online.
This past thursday the League of the Americas did a full 22 laps at FE Black in the FO8. I made only one mistake involving getting a wheel off into the grass. This was entirely my fault, not the car's, and completely avoidable if I'd simply backed off a little bit. This was on lap 20. The rest of the race I made no major mistakes.

Is the FO8 too hard to drive? Hell no. It just takes practice.

IMO, the LX6 is much more difficult, but I enjoy both.
#69 - JCTK
Quote from VIP :So if the car is so easy to drive as you are saying, tell me why people do not use it online. Give me a reason for this.

A F3000 car should be very popular in a racing game. It's not in LFS, so something might be wrong with it. The last patch made it easier to drive but not enough to make people change their minds, I suppose. I almost never see servers racing the FV8, and when I see it there are only two or three players.

In my opinion the risk of spinning when reaccelerating is exaggerated and unrealistic. I'm not a professional driver, and who am I to tell the developers how the game cars should behave, but I don't think we have something similar to what happens with F-3, GP2, F-Renault, F-Vauxhall, whatever cars. We don't see those guys spinning that much although they are inexperienced rookies driving low tech cars.

I repeat: Formula V8 is practically dead to online races. And it's a real shame. The car is fun for driving some slow laps in single mode but too difficult and "sensitive" for wheel to wheel battles online.

nothing is wrong with the F08, it's just brainless drivers putting the foot down too early in the corners, spun it, and then go label it as too hard to drive...illepall

you don't see those people spinning out because they, as professional racing drivers, know not to floor it when coming out of a slow corner...
Quote from Forbin :This past thursday the League of the Americas did a full 22 laps at FE Black in the FO8. I made only one mistake involving getting a wheel off into the grass. This was entirely my fault, not the car's, and completely avoidable if I'd simply backed off a little bit. This was on lap 20. The rest of the race I made no major mistakes.

Is the FO8 too hard to drive? Hell no. It just takes practice.

IMO, the LX6 is much more difficult, but I enjoy both.

Pimpage - http://lfs-lota.net/smf/index.php
Series only has 3 races left, but we're racing ~50 minute races with a 1/4 length sprint race beforehand in the fo8 and there are still a few slots open. Have to live in north/south america though to sign up.

I too was looking for a formula v8 fix before this series popped up. Fun car to race around in and not as harsh as the bf1 so average people can actually have a decent race in it but not as n00bish as the fox. (I'm tired of the relative lack of car control necessary to drive the fox )
Quote from VIP :

In real life it is WAY easier to feel the car and as you put your foot down you can exactly tell how much it is left to the limit. Yesterday i've participated in a karting event. Everything was quite fine until the rain started and it didn't stop untill the end of the event. It was extremely slippery and it was vital to be progressive with the throttle to not to let the back step out too much or even spin (by the way thx to wet and changing conditions i managed to overtake 4 guys). In LFS there are ways to know and feel your car. Listen to the tyres and try to feel the control you still have. You just need more practice with that setup/car combo. So you can exactly tell if your car will spin if you put it down or will it not and you'll make it through the corner
I just had a few fun races in the F08 at SO4 (I think it was SO4 :P) tonight with a nice bunch of guys. I'll be looking out for more F08 servers in the future, because it was the most fun I've had on LFS in a while! If only I still had the throttle modulation skills I had back in my GPL days
Quote from VIP :So if the car is so easy to drive as you are saying, tell me why people do not use it online. Give me a reason for this.

No, what you want is a car with traction control.

The reason you don't see many people (although people do) spinning out in F3, GP2 etc is because they don't just stamp on the throttle. It's called throttle control. They are also classed as rookies in that series but 99% of them will have raced other forms before reaching that stage to develop there driving ability.

The reason the car isn't used much in public servers is because people like you who obviously don't want to work the right foot and mainly because of how it drove before the physics update. There are so many cars in LFS that people usually stick to the car/tracks they know best, rather than venture off and try something new for a change.

I had many brilliant public races in the F08 and I hadn't used the thing in ages.
#74 - JJ72
Quote from VIP :but I don't think we have something similar to what happens with F-3, GP2, F-Renault, F-Vauxhall, whatever cars. We don't see those guys spinning that much although they are inexperienced rookies driving low tech cars.

All of these are purpose built race machines,do you know how much a brand new formula renault cost?? even in this "low" formulas you are looking at about 70000 euro for a car that only has less than 200bhp. The technology in it is no way low tech, it's still made with most up to date manufacturing technic.

I don't think you have any idea how demanding these single seater racers are, phew...if you think GP2 drivers are rookies...try entering a regional kart race, you will be surprised by how much you missed when understanding race driving.
Quote from JJ72 :I don't think you have any idea how demanding these single seater racers are, phew...if you think GP2 drivers are rookies...try entering a regional kart race, you will be surprised by how much you missed when understanding race driving.

A very good point

(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG