The online racing simulator
The Formula V8 - why not?
(139 posts, started )
There are servers running F08 combos but it seems they are empty most of the time except for those 3 racers who join them from time to time..

I mean, c'mon this car is fun to drive. I like it's raw power, no traction control or anything. But since there isn't any populated F08 server i have to stay offline and have fun alone... which isn't that fun after all

so is there an answer to the question why it isn't popular?
too difficult to drive i suppose...
#3 - joen
Most people seem to only like easy.
Not that the FO8 is that hard though, that's such a misconception.
how can people expect racing to be easy?illepall

no challange - no fun
#5 - joen
Quote from marsaz :how can people expect racing to be easy?illepall

no challange - no fun

dunno but that's how it seems to me.
Same for the tracks, a lot of people mostly drive the short, easy tracks.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and I think the FO8 is great.
Maybe the unpopularity of the FO8 stems from the pre-patch U era, when the tyre physics were a lot more slippery and regaining grip was a bit of a lottery. I know back then I wasn't too interested in driving it myself, as it took so much time and effort to master, and all the other cars were more accessible and more fun.

Which is a shame, because with the improved tyre physics I've had some good fun pushing the FO8 hard, albeit either offline, or alone on a server somewhere. I still prefer tin-tops with slicks, but now I'll happily have a go in the FO8 whereas in the past I used to avoid it.
#7 - Honey
Quote from joen : dunno but that's how it seems to me.
Same for the tracks, a lot of people mostly drive the short, easy tracks.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and I think the FO8 is great.

partially it's because "people like it easy" (for quick fun races), but also for another reason: some servers are always there with the same combo...for example take drt at aston national with gtr, or redline racing with fox on blackwood, you knwo they are always there and there are always some skilled racers in...and that virtuos circle make them always full.
knowing that a combo is always there and always full, give you the guarrantee that anytime you can join and time by time you will improve and be competitive...so in few words i think that most people don't want to "waste" their time on a combo that they hardly will find again, so that efforts in learning the circuit and making the setup (or more probably getting from someone else) are lost.

cars like fo8 and tracks like fern black are put in the corner also because of that reason imo...and it's a real shame! especially for fern black: whenever i find a server with it, i join and it's a pure blast whatever car is for.
#8 - majik
Yeah I really enjoy it also. Another forum I am on had a hotlap contest with the FO8 at SO Town. That was a fun combo. I agree that it was very very hard to drive in the old version, but now you can even slide the car if you want.
I drove the FO8 a few days ago, and for the first time I actually stuck with it.
I found it very rewarding and most enjoyable.
I think I'll set my server for FO8 from now on.
I love this car and Im saddened like you. Maybe we could arrange meets or something?
i think mibi the fo8 is overshadowed by the bf1. i think the fo8 looks alot nice than the bf1, and is more fun to drive too. i only use bf1 on ovals.
it's too obvious for me, more power, so it's bf1 these days, or sth better comes around and bf1 will be aside f08 in the dark corner.
sad but look at the oval racers for example, in an instant, the old f08 was gone...
But it's pretty funny to hunt them noob's wrestling the bf1in you "old" f08
(no offense)

regards
fox isn't really powerful but still it's a very popular car. It's fun on tracks with tight corners. F08 is kind of similar thing, you just need to find the right combo... which isn't hard at all. I enjoyed it on bl gp, i found it fun on so town long, tryed the ky gplong today which was interesting too. Maybe that's just because i love that car
If the F08 had a Le-mans prototype body everyone would race it.
I think I'll go find some FO8 action right now
I don`t like the Fo8 car.
I mean, the speed and power you get from the BF1, and the grip, close racing is with FXO

Fo8 is just... not fun to drive. It`s not that hard to drive, just not as fun as the FXO and BF1 car.
Maybe I just have gotten wrong combos with it, but I do not think that can change that much, the car.. acts strange lol :P
I mean, the grip is just strange, because I get used to only drive FXO and BF1, does not look like I can manage to drive something in between :S

But sure, put up a Fo8 server some time, and I will check it out, since I do not got very much experience with that car. Most experience with that car is on oval, but that`s not counting :/
I'm a FOX racer.

I used to suck with the F08.

But I started driving it again the other day, and I love that car now. I don't drive it as much as the FOX still, but I like how the F08 has all this power, and how YOU have to drive it. Great stuff.

At Westhill as well, it is a great track for it. Fast yet partly technical. I guess that's also because I haven't tried many other tracks with it. But it's cool. And I'm starting to like the look of it too

People definately need to race it more.
I like the FO8 too. BTW, I hate how everyone drag races BF1s with traction control on. Anywho, the FO8 is a really fun car to drive. Just don't floor it going out of tight corners...
#19 - joen
I think the BF1 is fun too, but it basically shares the same problem as the FO8. A lot of people can't drive it properly. Although in the case of the BF1 people seem to think they can, which is primarily because the TC will keep it from spinning.
The BF1 is easier but I have yet to have some really good races in it.
The last time I drove the BF1 online was quite some time ago. It was on a full Blackwood server where just three people could drive it under a minute :S
The standard of driving was so incredibly horrible I haven't bothered with it since.
In the beginning I thought it was just because the car was new to everybody , but it actually got worse
Some time ago I did some races with the FO8 on Westhill rev. Those were my first races with that combo, so I wasn't really fast, but I had great fun.
#20 - Smax
Patch U physics make the Forumula V8 much more like a big Fox than the slightly schizo beast it was before. The BF1 is just too fast for my taste and its huuuuge brakes and TC make it too easy to keep on the track, even if you make a mistake. I far prefer the V8, although having just struggled like mad to drive it around FE Green Rev and discovered that I'm 3 seconds slower with a steering wheel than I used to be with a gamepad, I suspect I need to start driving it more often.
Heh, I'm currently at -> (iB) ukct Odd Combo Club server with bbman and some more racers wouldn't hurt

If you join you get my (actually it's made by Honey) super set

FO8 racing at Fe2R now!
#22 - joen
Quote from Hyperactive :Heh, I'm currently at -> (iB) ukct Odd Combo Club server with bbman and some more racers wouldn't hurt

If you join you get my (actually it's made by Honey) super set

FO8 racing at Fe2R now!

:sadbananaI'd love to, but my pedals are broken :cry:

edit: I just tried if I could do some laps on FE using kb/mouse. I am definitely not a trained mouse driver, but I can drive most other cars reasonably using a mouse/kb, although much slower.
I can't keep the FO8 on track with kb/mouse though. Which led me to think that may also be a reason for people calling it hard to drive. Because I think there's quite a lot of people still using kb/mouse out there.
Quote from Smax :Patch U physics make the Forumula V8 much more like a big Fox than the slightly schizo beast it was before. The BF1 is just too fast for my taste and its huuuuge brakes and TC make it too easy to keep on the track, even if you make a mistake. I far prefer the V8, although having just struggled like mad to drive it around FE Green Rev and discovered that I'm 3 seconds slower with a steering wheel than I used to be with a gamepad, I suspect I need to start driving it more often.

i was there too...fern bay green rev and fo8: what a blast! luckingly i made quickly a setup quite stable and shared with others so we could race without too much spins...it's a shame i missed to share it with you i thought i gave it to everyone (big thanks to Hyperactive for final huge improvements ).
fo8 is a raw beast, but i always managed to handle it (and i use mouse) it's all a matter of a stable setup, it's just that everyone go with inferno setup and mybe it's not the best thing to start a new combo with fo8 .
Yes, it is a bit of a shame that people gave up on the FO8 like that!! I mean, SimFIA tried to do something like a "GP2" league with the FO8...but it never got one interest!

unfortunate
Quote :If the F08 had a Le-mans prototype body everyone would race it.

Hell yeah, but i'd preffer a classic Group C body kit.

I tried the FO8 the other day around FEG, in the right direction, and it was pretty good fun to drive. I didnt worry about a set or anything like that - there where only two of us on the server - but it did strike me as a very unforgiving car. The FOX I can sling sideways and powerslide if I get an entry wrong, the FO8 I just crashed when I got it wrong. Granted some of it was experience because I know the FOX so well, but I can't help but think that the car was something to do with it too.

Now that the BF1 eclipses the FO8 for speed, does it really serve a purpose anymore? Sure for fun racing and stuff it's ok, but I can see why it's barely driven anymore.

(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG