The online racing simulator
Having a Crew Chief
(11 posts, started )
Having a Crew Chief
Hello again

We know how it goes in real life, the driver goes out with some basic setup or the Setup from last year on this track and drives some laps.

Then he comes back and talk with his mechanics about the handling characteristics of the car, then he changes somethings, goes out and tries out, then comes back, change something again, goes out again and so on.

Now wouldnt it be cool to have an Mechanic working with you in Setting up the car?

Picture yoursef coming back to the pits, make some statements about the cars handling, then the Mechanic offers you a solution or to try something different, than you go out, come back and report on "how the car felt".

I'm sorry again I do have to bring up NASCAR RACING 2003 Season by Papyrus here...

There is a Setup Helper Program, where you can answer some questions specifically about the car handling.

Like how is the car when entering the corner?
How is the car in the cut zone?
How is the car in the Middle of the corner?
How is the car in the accelarating zone?
How is the car on corner exit?

Question like these you have to answer with "understeer", "oversteer", or "okay", and the Program throws out some solutions you should try with the setup.

Its a very nice and cool thing, it also can help you finding the right tyre Pressure as it can analyze your tyre temps and suggest changes or not.

The Crew Chief Program is a very nice tool for NASCAR RACING 2003 and can be found here http://www.keonsworld.com/scgi-bin/tutorial_main.htm
possible but perhaps better if you use a keypush to ask those sorts of questions...because getting it to recognise different voices is going to be VERY difficult from what i understand..

but +10 for the idea
+11111111111
Quote from bigj6230 :possible but perhaps better if you use a keypush to ask those sorts of questions...because getting it to recognise different voices is going to be VERY difficult from what i understand..

but +10 for the idea

I perhaps wasnt clear, but programming to have voice recognition and a "talking" Mechanic might be something very complicated to program and long to develop.

This would be something to add later perhaps.

But the basic idea is to only click manually with the mouse on some answers regarding the cars behaviour, and the LFS Mechanic would then show suggested changes for the setup.

This is what this Tool is doing basically.
I would use it if it was there, perhaps, i'm not overly fussed by it as I understond the majority of car setup parameters already - but I can see the merit to this. I just cant +1 it personally.

Quote :I perhaps wasnt clear, but programming to have voice recognition and a "talking" Mechanic might be something very complicated to program and long to develop.

Voice recognition in English isnt terribly hard, but it falls over with accents. I remember once speaking to a customer who was trying to get voice recognition working and he was really angry with it. I actually had trouble understanding him too - but just how do you tell a man with a thick Scottish accent that he needs to lay off the whiskey and stop slurring an already incomprehensible accent?
Without suddenly finding his fist stuck in your mouth, very difficult
Quote from Becky Rose :
Voice recognition in English isnt terribly hard, but it falls over with accents. I remember once speaking to a customer who was trying to get voice recognition working and he was really angry with it. I actually had trouble understanding him too - but just how do you tell a man with a thick Scottish accent that he needs to lay off the whiskey and stop slurring an already incomprehensible accent?

I remember when I was studying at Dublin Institute of Technology some years back and me and my friends made a trip to Northern Ireland. Would you think we were able to understand anything? It was like they werent talking the same english we had ZERO problems with up to that point lol.

Back on topic, I like the crew help idea, since I am pretty useless at making really good setups, for now.

+1
Not a +1 from me as though i think its a good idea it would be alot of work to implement.
i dont give +1 i give a whole +1111111111111 .
As for the voice of it, it would be great if LFS Companion was built in LFS (with Becky's permission, of course).

However, the better idea for setup making would be the option to have a system where you can - in game - download setups from setup stations. Someone made a PHP setup station, surely it would be possible to have a /setsearch command to bring up a list of setups for that combo on the station. Obviously stations should be passwordable.
well...as much as this sounds stupid, i have a crew chie in lfs, its my teammate, and he teaches me to drive fast...
when it comes to some event I am practicing for, he is there for me, lapping the track with me, giving tips, and when I say I dont like the behaviour of the car - he asks what is wrong, and gives tips what to change, at events, he joins as spectator (when permitted) and gives me advice on what to do and when, not only this makes job easier for me, but also - it got me a good friend...you should try that - it's great
you havent raced till you hear something like "this guy takes corners wide - that is your entry, brake late, go on the inside - block him, and then go like hell" in your headphones

Having a Crew Chief
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG