The online racing simulator
Forum Posts
(67 posts, started )
Quote from Tweaker :What else is post count relative too in this thread then? What are the reasons for getting rid of post count?

Winning a cookie? Popping 10 balloons in 3 seconds? New PB?

Do I have to pick one of the three?

Sorry, but I repeat my original question: Where did the OP say that everyone with a high post count was a spammer, or made useless posts?

Please notice the emphasis on the word everyone.
Where in my post did I ever say everyone? What are you on about?
Quote from Tweaker :[...]But also I'd like to mention that I don't understand why someone with a high post count automatically makes them someone that has 'stupid posts' or 'worthless answers'.[...]

I hope the above helps.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident the loss of post counts (if it were to happen) won't make one less of a man (or woman), so no need for anyone to worry.
How does it help, I never said "everyone", nor is what you quoted targeted at a group of people that meets a benchmark of high posts. "Someone" doesn't mean I speak for everyone with a high post count. There are obviously quite a few people that have high post counts and are targeted as being spammers (people have told them this many times, nothing new).... but the people complaining of such users with high post count are a bit more anal about the count than the 'spammers' are!!!

Secondly, what even classifies as a 'high' post count. Should 1,000 or more posts be too much when this forum has been open for more than a year? Is it a crime to talk a lot and be expressive on a forum? Gimme a break.... leave or drop the post count, it makes no difference. It really is only used for post-count based usergroups on the forum, and we don't use that... and I am glad, because THAT is what causes spam. (eg, people post to be allowed to use avatars, to use a signature, to 'upgrade' their usergroup name etc etc -- but we don't have that thankfully)

If you want to cut down on spam, the moderators should keep an eye out for it more. But it isn't so bad on here compared to other forums I have seen, so we really should have nothing to worry about, and not even bring up a topic like this. If you want to bring up something to improve this forum, make a suggestion for stopping random / off topic threads.
I agree with the notion that removing post counts would serve to make everyone here 'equals'. For that matter I'd also suggest removing the Join Date display from the forum posts as well. You can still see it in a member's profile but by removing such 'status features' everyone around here would stand a better chance of getting an honest answer instead of a 'HAHA stoopid noob!!'

I'm not saying that that is common practice, but since RSC removed post counts and specifically cited that as the reason, it is obvious that there are some out in the big electronic void who let their post counts go to their head.

That, more than being a de-spaminator which it really won't, should be the reason for removing post counts.
i say we remove post priviliges for people who have posted over say.....1000, then delete the lfs accounts of those over 3000, and knee cap those over 6000
Quote from RacingSimFan :I agree with the notion that removing post counts would serve to make everyone here 'equals'. For that matter I'd also suggest removing the Join Date display from the forum posts as well. You can still see it in a member's profile but by removing such 'status features' everyone around here would stand a better chance of getting an honest answer instead of a 'HAHA stoopid noob!!

I - personally - don't look at join dates or post counts before answering questions.

I'm not saying that that is common practice, but since RSC removed post counts and specifically cited that as the reason, it is obvious that there are some out in the big electronic void who let their post counts go to their head.

That, more than being a de-spaminator which it really won't, should be the reason for removing post counts.[/QUOTE]

Quote from v4forlife :i say we remove post priviliges for people who have posted over say.....1000

futureproofing : 1,013rd post
Quote from duke_toaster :I - personally - don't look at join dates or post counts before answering questions.

I'll do the exact opposite, at least for join dates. I don't call anyone a noob, other than jacking around with one of the veterans when he pulls a newbie mistake spinning where his experience should keep him from spinning or something. The join date can tell you how you should answer a question from someone, as in how detailed you need to be with him. Someone who has been here for years may not need as much information to answer his question as someone who joined last month.
What about a simple option to hide the post count? Those who want to hide it could do it and those who not...?
Quote from Hyperactive :What about a simple option to hide the post count? Those who want to hide it could do it and those who not...?

People who post for posting's sake will just keep it visible.
Quote from duke_toaster :People who post for posting's sake will just keep it visible.

I guess some would hide it, some would not. Those who post for posting's sake don't usually stay here too long. Maybe it could even hide other people's post count too? So those who don't really care about post counts could totally ignore them. And maybe make the member list so that you couldn't sort member by their post count?
Perhaps if we had a ranking system based on LFS World times, and scrap the post count from normal posts, perhaps that would help reduce the problem.

Or maybe post counts should only be visible to members with a few hundred posts, that way the people who are generally around to help people are able to spot the newbies. Also, so long as the limit isn't advertised, idiots wouldn't spam like made to try and reach it.
I'm not sure if removing post count would make a difference or not. It hasn't at RSC afaik (although the GPL section was never that spammy anyway and that's really the only place I haunt since LFS moved here).

People who post just for the sake of it are usually easy to identify. Every forum seems to have its spammers/trolls who come and go. An invisible post count doesn't seem like it would be an effective deterrent to idiots because there usually seems to be a new fool to replace a past fool. I'm not a person concerned with peoples' post counts anyway, I prefer to go by the content of their posts (when online, that's all you have to go on). Every forum I've joined or visited seems to have spammers/trolls that pop in, act like gits and get banned or just leave by themselves regardless of whether post count is visible. Idiots will make trouble because that's what idiots do. If they're just trying to boost their post count then they're even sadder than someone who joins a forum just to be an idiot - in fact, they deserve your pity for being so utterly lame

So, campaign to remove the post count if you must, but don't expect to discourage idiots by doing so
I didnt know there was a problem with post counts bob. At the end of the day if you make a post. woo-pi-do you get an extra post count. Personally i quite like to see how many posts i have and some others. Normally amaze myself how many there are. But i dont see how making it visible or invisible is going to matter. 90% of the people around here make a propper comment on a post, the odd 10% that dont generally come and go and it just doesnt matter.

just my £0.01 (i lost a penny :O)
Quote from franky500 :I didnt know there was a problem with post counts bob. At the end of the day if you make a post. woo-pi-do you get an extra post count. Personally i quite like to see how many posts i have and some others. Normally amaze myself how many there are. But i dont see how making it visible or invisible is going to matter. 90% of the people around here make a propper comment on a post, the odd 10% that dont generally come and go and it just doesnt matter.

just my £0.01 (i lost a penny :O)

:iagree:
Exactly what I am saying. No difference if you take the count on or off, there is a very small percentage of users here that will spam. And if small 'useless' posts get on some people's nerves, then they haven't accustomed theirselves to a forum... or rather.... teh interNetZ!!`111112
LOL Tweaker!! Relax, chances are that they wont be removed anyway, It was a suggestion, and Im sure our moderators will move it to its correct home in due time when the newness of the main forums has lost its... pull.

Back in the cage now.. come on..
Oh I am relaxed alright, I'm just laughing at those who call a short post "spam", "spam this", or "spam that"... or rather just by high (or rapidly increasing) post count -- when it goes a whole lot deeper than that once you've seen the worst.. This forum hasn't seen the worst of spam, I can tell you that. It's really not all that bad if you see the kind of problems other large forums have. I've had to be a moderator and admin of so many forums in the past, and believe me, those little FPS kiddies are expecting some kind of treat for spamming on purpose... and they even say this theirself!! We have none of this. But if some people truly think we have users trying to accumulate a huge post count, oh well, those are part of the true Sadness Hall of Fame *cough*

So I end with these quotes:

Quote from Jakg :hmmmmm, what about i spam to put my post count up as well, so what about using the first corner and straight of BL1, and the first mud bit of BL2 together? and what about the other way round? Blackwood RallyX North/South Loop?

Quote from Jakg :
Quote from colcob :Well I've just nipped in from the garden to see if its out yet. No joy, but seriously gents, if you are in the UK at the moment (southern bit anyway) GO OUTSIDE, it really is the most fabulous day we've had for months and months.

Spring is here, now where's that damn patch?

meh. I feel like trebblimng me post count!
Quote from (SaM) :It's funny to see how everyone's postcount has doubled magically.

mine hasnt! Yet...

:ices_rofl
#43 - Gunn

Features like post counts help to improve member morale. You will find that the majority either like it or else don't mind it being there. We don't have a huge problem with post count-related spam honestly. It is not uncommon for a new or young member to go on an early rampage once they arrive, but if it continues we just slap them with a slippery fish and all is well.
A rollmop usually does the trick.
Quote from Gunn :-1
Features like post counts help to improve member morale.

I can't think why it should, but I'll take your word for it. (I have a very high post count on some music forums I belong to, and I can't say it's had any effect on my morale. BTW, post count was subsequently removed and so far I still feel fine )

Quote :You will find that the majority either like it or else don't mind it being there.

If 1% wanted to keep it, 50% couldn't care less, and 49% wanted to get rid of it, your statement would still be true.

Quote :We don't have a huge problem with post count-related spam honestly. It is not uncommon for a new or young member to go on an early rampage once they arrive, but if it continues we just slap them with a slippery fish and all is well.

I agree, this forum is comparitively spam-free. My reason for wanting rid of the count is that, IMO, it serves no purpose.
Quote from shaGuar :But some time's i get very anoyed by post's that have no other purpose than bringing them closer to tristan.

JACKPOT, BINGO, YAHTZEE, etc...

My thoughts exactly.

+3 million for this idea.

Edit:
Or even better:
Quote from Bob Smith :Perhaps if we had a ranking system based on LFS World times, and scrap the post count from normal posts, perhaps that would help reduce the problem.

That idea ^
actually Jakg is quite usefull leave him out of this.
How about making a poll for this thread?
Though I do not like the idea of removing post count, I agree that some of this forum members behaviour is annoying.

I seen a 'report bad post' link in many forums, we should have something like 'report spammer' link in each post. Once they go beyond a reasonable limit, their posting gets limited for some time.
We do have a reporting feature, just click this icon in the upper right of their post box:

Forum Posts
(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG