The online racing simulator
Forum Posts
(67 posts, started )
Forum Posts
Hey i have a suggestion.

I think it's briliant,

How about deleting the post count from the forum ?

That would avoid stupid post's and worthless answers `?

-Shag
#2 - Vain
+1
Also I wouldn't be ashamed of being on the unhappyness-list anymore.

Vain
#3 - ZORER
yes!

good idea

that will stop useless posts.
Do people really get a kick out of having a high post count?

ZORER - you are forgetting, this forum has an auto inline post merging function, called Bob Smith.
It's so hard to tell who has been around then, anyone who posts just to build up their post count should get a short ban, let's not get in to names but I'm sure we could name a few rookies who do that with post per day ratio around 10...
#6 - ZORER
Quote from Bob Smith :Do people really get a kick out of having a high post count?

ZORER - you are forgetting, this forum has an auto inline post merging function, called Bob Smith.

i did it in purpose to show that i agree with the idea.
Quote from Bob Smith :Do people really get a kick out of having a high post count?

Some do, dunno why.
But some time's i get very anoyed by post's that have no other purpose than bringing them closer to tristan.

Post rate is useful to see how active they are in the LFS community.
Yeah I know, and I did it just to show I try to cut 'em back down again.

Frankly I'm horrified to have hit 3k already, I think that's what I was at on RSC when they removed post counts.

AFAIK vBulletin doesn't have a post per day limitation, if it did I'd slap it on a good few individuals. Would hopefully make them think to make their posts useful. /me sighs
Quote from duke_toaster :Post rate is useful to see how active they are in the LFS community.

I agree they are usefull, But people are spamming everyones thread just to get more post's, and that suck !

EDIT: And i think we would kill the spammer syndrome, if we removed post count.
#11 - JTbo
What is postcount?

Now if someone posts to increase some number under his name, isn't it quite sad? Really there can't be so big losers without life?

But for some this little number seem to be still very important, it is same with every forum actually, I guess there is actually such losers that keep that number so important that they posts only to increase it, ridiculous

My little number can be set 0 permanently, it has no any meaning to me, but if there is some silly persons who think that I would be posting to increase that number, it would be perhaps relief to them if my postcount would stay in 0 all the time, so to make everyone happy let's put number to 0
+1, it would cause things tobe rated more on how long you've been around not having a 100000000 posts. And since the spam will stop, it cant be bad.

edit: my number was all i cared about for a while, all i wanted to do was get to a thousand, when i got there i was like "eh, it's the same as having zero posts". I noticed how stupid the post count was around 500 posts, i dunno why i kept posting.
Quote from Rappa Z :And since the spam will stop, it cant be bad.

Well, I'd agree it would probably reduce, but some people do it just for the love of doing it (even sadder?)

Just had a thought, would mean a fair bit of work for me, but when posts are merged your post count goes back down, I could move all the spam posts to a single hidden thread and merge them all. :mischievo Wouldn't teach them why what they're doing isn't accepted but would at least keep the forum clear. Would probably piss them all of though and I can't see the idea get the blessings of the other mods/admins.
Quote from Bob Smith :Frankly I'm horrified to have hit 3k already, I think that's what I was at on RSC when they removed post counts.

They removed them from under avatars, but not from profiles.

Quote :AFAIK vBulletin doesn't have a post per day limitation, if it did I'd slap it on a good few individuals. Would hopefully make them think to make their posts useful. /me sighs

Would I be one of them by any chance, or would that just be Jakg and Tristan. You must be wanting to infuence my competition, eh
The post count has its good and bad aspect. Its bad because there are some people who seem to spam here there and everywhere to just gain number of posts. Yet it is also a rough indication of peoples dedication to lfs almost - as the majority of people with high post counts are the people who have been round a long time, who are helpful etc and its easy for a newbie to see.

But i do think removing the post count would have benificial effects so +1.
you guys say that if we remove post counts, we wont see whos active or not. I think alot of ppl here go through alot of threads on a day, and i think you'll see whos active or not when you go through alot of threads.
But if post counts gets to stay, nothing will change. We'll still get spammers with useless posts and off-topic answers or questions.
I don't know? I'm not one to believe that folks spam strictly for upping their post count. It is a interesting thing to joke around with folks for ridiculously high postcounts, but as I look at the list, I only see well respected folks at the top who contribute good posts to the forums. It just so happens that those people are more conversive with the forum.

I took a bit of a break from LFS a bit ago for a few months and didn't even visit the forum. I am still sitting in number 22 spot. Unfortunately, right below me is Scawen, which even with all the U test patches, he hasn't passed me up yet. Come on guys, just find 12 more small bugs to report on U30 and he'll have to pass me up, LOL. Er, I guess after this post, I need 13 bugs found, hehe.

I was going to joke around with this and make each statement a new post, but thought better of it, hehe.

But really, it is rare that you see the top 10 folks make complete off-topic posts here. You do see some off-topic threads pop up with these folks posting in, but I don't consider them spam posts for upping the count, just some fun talking some off-topic.
Not that it should count for anything, but my view is that post counts are unnecessary. Advice should be judged on its usefulness, not on any perceived community standing of the person offering it.
now that i have seen Jakgs(or Jakqs) post count, i say remove post counts and posts per day forever. Do it imedialty
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#20 - Jakg
Go for it - most of my posts aren't spam, but people seem to think they are!
It's rarely the guys in the thousands who cause the problem, it's the newbies who quickly rocket into the high hundreds.
Quote from Bob Smith :It's rarely the guys in the thousands who cause the problem, it's the newbies who quickly rocket into the high hundreds.

Yep and if peeps like jakg doesnt mind the post counting to stop, then why keep it going ?
Quote from shaGuar :Hey i have a suggestion.

I think it's briliant,

How about deleting the post count from the forum ?

That would avoid stupid post's and worthless answers `?

-Shag

First off I'd like to comment on several things about post count. For one, I could care less about post count, so yes removing it would be fine. But also I'd like to mention that I don't understand why someone with a high post count automatically makes them someone that has 'stupid posts' or 'worthless answers'. Secondly, I don't spam, nor even care about my post count, so any posts I have on this forum are from pure discussion and wanting to talk.... not about raising post count :rolleyes:. I really don't understand why some people think post count is so valuable, and the fact that you should look at the count in their profile to see if they are a spammer.

Rarely would I go and 'spam' a short message or two. But you can be someone of a few words (like Tristan), or a lot like me. I tend to get a lot of my posts from trying to help people, and when talking about things that drag on and on here.

If you think post count is the source of stupid spam posts, then that is your view on it. People trying to get their post count up by spamming is so old, and for kids that think it is valuable. The only forums that make post count valuable is when you have usergroups named based on post count (like New Member, Medium Member, Premium Member, Godlike Member, etc). But the LFS Forum isn't like that, and there are only a few people that spam pointless posts here, but it is rare.

Don't start saying that a place to talk is full of useless dicussions/posts, a forum is a forum, live with it.
Where did the OP say that everyone with a high post count was a spammer, or made useless posts?
Quote from Serpentine :Where did the OP say that everyone with a high post count was a spammer, or made useless posts?

What else is post count relative too in this thread then? What are the reasons for getting rid of post count?

Winning a cookie? Popping 10 balloons in 3 seconds? New PB?

Forum Posts
(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG