The online racing simulator
Vista Nov 30th 2006. LFS Ready?
(46 posts, started )
Quote from Gunn :I'm planning on never using Vista.

Me niether, been reading and It just a fancy version of XP with a CPU + Memory usage guage and some fancy layout

Windows Blind thingys FTW ...
Quote from Michael Denham :Sounds like my ex-girlfriend.

Quote : Its nice enough to play with and has some features that are alright but on the whole i was left very flat

Does this sounds like Michaels Ex-Girlfriend too?

I think Vista is just another attempt at a monopoly. DRM is there to appease the dvd and music sellers, like I hardly use the computer to play music or DVDs.

I have seperate dedicated equipment for that, and think in the home most other do also?

I guess if Vista was to be used as the media centre replacement OS I could understand the use of DRM etc

From a LFS user point of view, (with respect to Scawen and the need to create a working solution to run on it and keep the Sim compatible), given the very few users here that admit they will upgrade to Vista.

Is now the right time to make LFS Vista compatible?

Like there are many things listed for development/improvement before LFS goes to S2 ( Beta & Full)

I'd have thought the development timeline would have been more towards a S3 Beta stage before Vista compatibility would be implemented at which stage LFS itself would be more mature and feature rich and closer to a final product, that theoritically, would take little conversion?

Just guess like all I would love to see S2 running well on my XP system first Shannon
I agree, i see no reason for Scawen to waste time on making LFS vista compatible. It will be a long period till majority swithes to Vista, and if LFS doesn't run on Vista, they can always have XP on other partition.
#29 - Gunn
Quote from ShannonN :

Is now the right time to make LFS Vista compatible?

Unfortunately, yes. Millions of new computers will be sold with evil Vista and unwitting owners of these computers may wish to try LFS. By not making the software compatible LFS would be putting itself on the sideline for Vista users. Ok, it's Microsoft's stupid fault, but developers have little choice if they want to continue up the Windows compatibility path.
#30 - Tick
Quote from VipeNess :The box art is pretty cool!

http://www.i4u.com/article6959.html

Yup, Thats why I buy an new OS! Its the box art!illepall

I mean really give it a few years to work out the bugs, then I might upgrade. Not enough support for items that work well in XP!

Tick
Hello? Didn't Scawen just say that the lastest version of LFS is ALREADY Vista compatible?
Quote from Gunn :Unfortunately, yes. Millions of new computers will be sold with evil Vista and unwitting owners of these computers may wish to try LFS. By not making the software compatible LFS would be putting itself on the sideline for Vista users. Ok, it's Microsoft's stupid fault, but developers have little choice if they want to continue up the Windows compatibility path.

I do see your point, but I really think the audience from these millions will not be LFS users, most will be sold to mums and dads who will only write an email to their grown up kids interstate and research their geneology etc.

companies and such wouldn't dare upgrade to Vista, heck most are still screaming that NT4 support stopped

And they cost of a new machine with the huge amt of memory and drive space Vista will need not to mention high end video cards etc will prolly keep most kids away.

so i see the target for these machines as propessionals in the animation, art, rendering professions who, while thay may have kids or even play LFS

I think they'll have an XP system they rather use, so the miliions may be a slight exaggeration, a couple of thousand perhaps and I think 10 % of that figure my be interested in LFS.

just my thoughts
Shannon
Quote from Scawen :Test Patch U28 is fully Vista compatible.

!
2k is looking better and better all the time,
#35 - Tick
Quote from richo :2k is looking better and better all the time,

2000 is a step above ME in my opinion. Dont waste your time with it.

Tick
#36 - JTbo
Quote from Tick :2000 is a step above ME in my opinion. Dont waste your time with it.

Tick

ME is worst OS MS ever put out, 2000 is pretty much like XP, just without eye candy and few not so important bits.
You really can't say that ME and 2000 would share anything but Windows name.
#37 - Woz
Quote from ShannonN :companies and such wouldn't dare upgrade to Vista, heck most are still screaming that NT4 support stopped

And they cost of a new machine with the huge amt of memory and drive space Vista will need not to mention high end video cards etc will prolly keep most kids away.

Yep, I have seen many a server room with NT4 and Win2K server as the main OS.

Many of the companies wil probably have recently upgraded to XP on desktops when NT4 support died, they just bypassed 2K. If they follow suit then they will skip Vista and go with what follows.

Lets face it, A big company is NEVER going to buy 1000+ new desktops that can deal with Vista when XP runs Office fine. Will the £1,000,000.00 make their staff more productive and that is before the training and support costs etc etc.

The release of Vista in 2006 is only to companies, who are not going to pick it up anyway. Even companies that might consider will probably wait untiil SP1, why risk your companies productivity with an OS change when it is not required. Let others find the holes that will bee fixed in the first SP.

All they are trying to do is get the end of support pegged for XP which is linked to the release of Vista.

That only leaves home users and will they buy in floods? Only time will tell but I can see Ubuntu becomming more popular. I am goling to switch but keep an XP partition for games. Just have to decide when to make the leap because I know it means hours of progress bars so I am not in a rush I have a Unbunto 64bit distro sat on my desk so at least I have done the 3.6Gb download part
Quote from Tick :2000 is a step above ME in my opinion. Dont waste your time with it.

Tick

2k isnt a step away from ME its a giant leap away from that steaming pile of shite,they look similar i guess but it ends there...
#39 - FL!P
I won't buy Vista either! My Mac already offers the best of both world by running XP Pro for LFS and Mac OS X for everything else! That's all I need.

Tick

lol
2000 is NT 5
ME is like some later version of Windows 95

Yeah i'm still running win2k because XP is too blingy for me and each OS does exactly the same thing in the end. Vista itself is very unimpressive, although I may be lured into buying it for the box art. May never install it but I can admire that lovely box.
#41 - Tick
Quote from JTbo :ME is worst OS MS ever put out, 2000 is pretty much like XP, just without eye candy and few not so important bits.
You really can't say that ME and 2000 would share anything but Windows name.

Thats why I compared 2k with ME In my opinion 2k is crap I have used 3.1, 95, 98, ME, 2k, and XP. Every 2k pc I have seen sucks just like ME.

Quote from richo :2k isnt a step away from ME its a giant leap away from that steaming pile of shite,they look similar i guess but it ends there...

ME is crap and 2k in my opinion is not much better. Ill stick with XP for a few more years.

Quote from Bugle :lol
2000 is NT 5
ME is like some later version of Windows 95

Yeah i'm still running win2k because XP is too blingy for me and each OS does exactly the same thing in the end. Vista itself is very unimpressive, although I may be lured into buying it for the box art. May never install it but I can admire that lovely box.

My XP desktop looks like 2k. Its as simple as a tic box. I have no need for the "Fisher Price" look myself. Who keeps the box anyways?

Please keep in mind I always use "In my opinion" when talking about 2k.
Every OS has there fan boys. Mine is XP. I can get the same look for Vista with the Stardock Suite. Ill own Vista when like XP it has been out for a while and it can handle the apps and games without having to hassle with lack of FFB or compatibility issues that people are complaining about now.

Peace Tick
#42 - Woz
Why are people bashing 2K.

NT4, 2K and XP are all based on the NT core which is solid and on the whole stable. Each upgrade has only added more functionality to that core and only improved the OS. 2K is a great OS but more aimed at Business users than XP.

ME was the MS attempt to bring NT class drivers to the 9X range which failed. It is know to be rubbish but linking that to 2K is just stupid and shows no knowledge of the different OSs. Also the 9X range is really just DOS with a graphics front end. The old DOS 64K limit and paging requirements are all through the OS.
I hope Scawen do a version or let lfs XP compatible, at least until most of us can buy a 20 ghz 128bits cpu with 20gb of ram to run the ****ing vista smothly, i think XP user don't will have problems with vista until Scawen wants to switch to DirectX 10.

I prefer use a unix like os , but i think the original choice of Scawen to develop Lfs in windows is the best.
The sloooooowly development of opengl , the nearly inexistent force feedback librarys on linux and no sense support of companies to unix like os. kill hopes
#44 - Jakg
LFS will be XP compatible for a while, as he will loose a large amount of customers by cutting it out.

LFS is DX8, i hope that soon it will go DX9 as pretty much all hardware supports it, and XP would still run it, however DX10 needs Vista and Cards that aren't even out yet!
I dunno, At work I was givein a computer running XP64. it had that athlon dual core processer in it... lol it was the fastest piece a crap since projectile diarreah. I figure Vista will be along the same lines.
Makin an OS that's so advanced that you pretty much have to start over buying software and losing all the older more incompatable stuff is just stupid. just how important is it to have an OS that supports DX10 (?) when there's not really anything out there that uses it?
ANd I dunno, you'd figure that a company that makes operating systems would try to streamline successive models to take up less resources
instead of the other way around. All that other crap can be put in by the individual user to suit his or tastes.
Better yet, if they just gotta put all that crap in there, instead of "trusted" computing, why don't they put in self updating anti-virus & spyware?
Quote from AlfaLover :The sloooooowly development of opengl

What do you mean? OpenGL offers everything DX10 offers, with extensions like EXT_geometry_shader4, EXT_gpu_shader4, EXT_bindable_uniform, EXT_draw_instanced, and few more, which are adopted by all major vendors, and available now on all platforms, not only Vista. There are also many vendor specific extensions if you need some specific hardware feature.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG