The online racing simulator
Vista Nov 30th 2006. LFS Ready?
(46 posts, started )
Vista Nov 30th 2006. LFS Ready?
hey guys. microsoft announced Vista will be out on Nov 30th 2006. The question is, you guys going to be upgrading for LFS? I will be moving my OS over from Windows XP Professional to Ultimate Edition. The box art is pretty cool too

box art
http://www.i4u.com/article6959.html

release date news
http://www.owsblog.com/softwar ... -dates-and-new-packaging/

I was currently running the Microsoft Vista RC2 candiate, and LFS ran for some reason very well, and looked great. The drivers for my Mo Mo we working ok, but no force feed back.
#2 - Jakg
why would upgrading "Help" LFS? al it will do is slow it down!
Quote from Jakg :why would upgrading "Help" LFS? al it will do is slow it down!

Broadens the userbase by having the new OS run the game. Only seems necessary since it is the latest one to come out. Software has to keep up with these monopoly operating system(s), no other choice for them really, other then to make sure it is works on Vista

They'd have to do it soon anyways (and we might have to upgrade soon too). Tis a shame, because the things the devs could be working on can be interupted by this, like you are saying. But people using the test versions of Vista have said LFS works ok on it so far (yeah?), so I don't think it will delay the devs as much as we think it will.
#4 - Woz
Quote from Tweaker :Broadens the userbase by having the new OS run the game. Only seems necessary since it is the latest one to come out. Software has to keep up with these monopoly operating system(s), no other choice for them really, other then to make sure it is works on Vista

They'd have to do it soon anyways (and we might have to upgrade soon too). Tis a shame, because the things the devs could be working on can be interupted by this, like you are saying. But people using the test versions of Vista have said LFS works ok on it so far (yeah?), so I don't think it will delay the devs as much as we think it will.

LFS is not even using full DX9 features and Vista has DX9 support.

Why would you want to upgrade to vista with its huge system demands? Just take a stick of RAM out your current system, it will have the same effect

Fine make sure it runs on Vista, which it already assume it does. What does Vista really offer apart from a bit of bling at the cost of core level DRM and the huge control over what you can do to make sure you can't get to the core level DRM.

I am sorry to say that Vista will NOT run games as fast as XP. XP is stable, fast and reliable and also runs all the software you can throw at it.

MS have already started to back down on some things like the nightmare licence details issues such transfer of licences but there are many more issues to go.

1) Trusted Computing - This means they do not trust YOU!
2) Anti Spy/Virus - Dont expect the kernal issue to be resolved until SP1. Oh and someone has already bypassed Patchguard and Vista is not even released. But who wants a safe system.
3) DRM - Nothing to add apart from you will NOT be able to bypass this puppy. But then we all love to rent music etc and not own it.

But go ahead, sounds a great OS.
Vista compatiibility was one of the important reasons for the recent series of test patches.

The U version has sound problems and can't unlock on Vista.

Test Patch U28 is fully Vista compatible. We're working towards compatible version V which will be released this year and has many improvements while remaining compatible (online and replays) with version U.
It's the corporate edition only that'll ship in late November. Are you sure? *click* The personal editions do not ship until 2007 so Are you sure? *click* and you'd be nuts to Are you sure? *click* 'upgrade' right away as it's bound to have truckloads of Are you sure? *click* bugs, security flaws and annoying Are you sure? *click* features such as Are you sure? *click* the UAC and silly hardware requirements Are you sure? *click* - and it's still sloooooo Are you sure? *click* oooooooow.
LOL ROFL.

Is there still the feature in Vista that you have to click the "Start"-Button to END your windows session?
I've got the release candidate here on disc, I'll install it in a week or so when I get really bored but I can't see myself switching from XP as my main Windoze OS for a while yet. LFS with FFB? Not a chance.
Quote from VipeNess :hey guys. microsoft announced Vista will be out on Nov 30th 2006. The question is, you guys going to be upgrading for LFS?

Nov. 30 is the date for business customers and

January 30, 2007 for consumers.

It's pretty much time for LFS to be ready for vista and the majority (I think they are normal consumers) here in the forum, to think about it.

I for myself didn't get anything special with vista except that it's fun to install / work with a new OS. So I'll wait with a change of all my private PCs till it's cheaper
Quote from VipeNess :hey guys. microsoft announced Vista will be out on Nov 30th 2006.

I heard from some reliable sources that vista would be out at Q1/Q2 2007 ....

And no, I wont be upgrading till I get my Conroe at least ... but I tried the Beta RC2 and I found it lacking, it looked nice but nothing new of substance
Quote from BBO@BSR :Nov. 30 is the date for business customers and

January 30, 2007 for consumers.

[O/T]Yeey!

that's my birthday
[/O/T]
Quote from Woz :LFS is not even using full DX9 features and Vista has DX9 support.

Why would you want to upgrade to vista with its huge system demands? Just take a stick of RAM out your current system, it will have the same effect

Fine make sure it runs on Vista, which it already assume it does. What does Vista really offer apart from a bit of bling at the cost of core level DRM and the huge control over what you can do to make sure you can't get to the core level DRM.

I am sorry to say that Vista will NOT run games as fast as XP. XP is stable, fast and reliable and also runs all the software you can throw at it.

MS have already started to back down on some things like the nightmare licence details issues such transfer of licences but there are many more issues to go.

1) Trusted Computing - This means they do not trust YOU!
2) Anti Spy/Virus - Dont expect the kernal issue to be resolved until SP1. Oh and someone has already bypassed Patchguard and Vista is not even released. But who wants a safe system.
3) DRM - Nothing to add apart from you will NOT be able to bypass this puppy. But then we all love to rent music etc and not own it.

But go ahead, sounds a great OS.

+99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Concerning vista,both you and me think the same.
Quote from Thunderhead :+99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Concerning vista,both you and me think the same.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
I suppose you will dual boot it, then at least you can go back to XP if you have any problems. I tried a Vista RC a while ago, and it was interesting to try it.

It looks lovely, as does the box art, but it doesn't mean it's any good. Don't we know that from somewhere?

How much does it cost?
For Vista, I'm guessing LFS will have to change to OpenAL at some point since Vista no longer has DirectSound hardware acceleration (source, and another). That is, if LFS will ever get some more advanced sound engine.
vista confirmation boxes could drive mother teresa insane, other than that, lfs rans fine and speedy on vista.
By box art you mean the "art" on the retail boxes? I really couldn't care less if there was naked LFS spectators photographed on those boxes. I mean, it is just the box. Most will buy the OEM version anyways.

Box art pffft
On January 29th I will be putting my computer's clock back, just incase. Microsoft have hinted that they will be locking out pirated copies of Windows. I dont mind this, but my problem is they did that with the xbox 360 by locking out users who had changed their CD drive to read pirated disks, the problem is, users who had their CD drive replaced by repair centres or bought refurbished machines where also left high and dry. It seems most likely that users will be locked out of their dodgy, or miss-identified as dodgy, XP installs and the recommendation will be to buy your DRM riddled copy of Vista.

The release of Vista is the worst thing to happen to computing since the lenselock anti-piracy system (You can play a legal computer game provided you dont wear glasses).
#19 - Jakg
Vista? Not likely on my PC. XP + Ububtu will do me fine!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#20 - JTbo
Quote from spankmeyer :It's the corporate edition only that'll ship in late November. Are you sure? *click* The personal editions do not ship until 2007 so Are you sure? *click* and you'd be nuts to Are you sure? *click* 'upgrade' right away as it's bound to have truckloads of Are you sure? *click* bugs, security flaws and annoying Are you sure? *click* features such as Are you sure? *click* the UAC and silly hardware requirements Are you sure? *click* - and it's still sloooooo Are you sure? *click* oooooooow.

That post looks like Vista ready

I can't do damn thing with it, popup after popup question after question and it is very bad memory hog too, just surfing on internet takes all my computers power, playing some game causes swapping already, yes in latest RC. Also I hate DRM things, I will move over to Linux before Vista, but because of my future job I need Vista too, really frustrating.

If LFS devs are going to look into future from their crystal ball, they see that Linux port will have more and more users in few years, I'm one of them naturally
The baggage and overhead that comes with Vista is not worth the improvments in my opinion.
Quote from Gimpster :The baggage and overhead that comes with Vista is not worth the improvments in my opinion.

Sounds like my ex-girlfriend.
Its nice enough to play with and has some features that are alright but on the whole i was left very flat with Vista,for the amount of money and time invested in its got a bad dose of same old same old..

And that uac thingy is annoying as clippy, ok not quite but its a close race
#25 - Gunn
I'm planning on never using Vista.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG