The online racing simulator
WE international + grass = unhappy me
why do i always find the grass i have about 1 good lap per every 10 laps not good. but the track is superb, loose the grass please. what do you lot think? have a vote or something.
Try to slow down more for the corners, that way you can decide where to put the car and avoid the grass.
or if you're like me, chuck it into the corners and hope you point the right way at the end of the corner sometimes works
#4 - SamH
Westhill! Love it! But I hated it at first! Almost every corner is blind.. grass on the edge, with no rumble strip where you need it. On the one hand, it's evil, but on the other hand it's just such a joy!

Keep at it.. embrace it, engage it, and one day you'll love it.
Quote from daveb948576 :why do i always find the grass i have about 1 good lap per every 10 laps not good. but the track is superb, loose the grass please. what do you lot think? have a vote or something.

Stop! :splando:
Dont Panic!:feathers:

Slow down .... dont race at 100% pace but 85%. Be consistant. Doing constant say 1:50 lap times as opposed to 1 1:48, 1:56, 1:53 1:49, is going to get you much faster (dont moan if those times are way off I havent played Lfs as you all know for ages , and for an age to come )
I think you allways find the grass is because it loves you

And dont lose the grass, grass owns. You need grass on a racetrack, it gives you the edge , and besides what racetrack DOESNT have grass, apart from the barhain one cos its too hot!
#6 - Woz
Sounds like a case of fast in grass out, you need to aim for slow in fast out
Or become very skilled at slick tire grass driving, its an art really :P

Yeah the grass can stay, but some brighter painted lines wouldnt hurt necessarily lol
I wouldn't object to some lines at Westhill, but then again I like that it's sort of an old-style club track in a paddock somewhere. Very GPL :up:

If you go wide, just try to put the clutch in, coast on the grass and gently try to get back on the track, it could save a reset...
The grass at Westhill is no different than the grass anywhere else. The difference is everywhere else there are giant brightly painted curbs (or kerbs) flashing in neon with big arrows pointing and yelling "GRASS STARTS BEYOND THIS POINT!" You need to train yourself to stay on the track and not hit the grass just as you train yourself to take the curbs and not hit the grass everywhere else.

The only difference between hitting the grass at Westhill compared to all others is the speed. All corners with the exception of 2 are practically no braking and flat out corners at high speeds (talkin GTRs here).

SamH, I am absolutely with you. I absolutely love Westhill. Yes at first the fact that every turn is a blind turn makes it very difficult to learn. But, wow, when you hit that tire chicane section in the FZR perfect for the first time where you're blasting through full throttle shifting up to 5th past the tires moving past 120 mph is such a rush. Almost as much as hitting the Aston corkscrew thingy on the downhill configs perfectly.

Oh yea, and thanks to [Fluid]Indie for that battle last night there. That was the best battle I had for quite a long while in LFS. We spent several corners side by side, him squeezing past, me squeezing past on the next one, just to have him squeak by again, then me again. I was holding my breath through many of the laps trying not to push out while still driving my arse off trying to gain some advantage on him. A great battle. No, scratch that, a fantastic battle.
westhill is a nice track.
actually the only one where i can get very close to the wrs with almost every car (within 0,5-1 sec).
there are just 3 heavy corners, the rest of the track is pretty easy once u drove some rounds.
keep going and u will enjoy this track as much as i do
westhill is probably one of the least stressfull tracks on lfs.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#12 - SamH
Hooooijaaaahhh! I'm well up for that!
Yeah, bring it! A jaunt in a jalopy. By gum it's been a while!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#14 - SamH
OMG I remember those things. We had an E reg, but it wasn't a Traveller. They were a good little car.. the suspension had a tendency to collapse on the exit from roundabouts as I recall. Wilson, Tim's neighbour on Home Improvement.. his first car was a Morris Minor. Now ya know!

I've got the picnic table.. bring your own sandwiches.
Attached images
westhill_picnic.jpg
I'm more of a Bentley kind of guy: linky
Quote from daveb948576 :why do i always find the grass i have about 1 good lap per every 10 laps not good. but the track is superb, loose the grass please. what do you lot think? have a vote or something.

If you have 10% success rate in having a grass free lap, then you need to start changing the way you drive.
Quote from Gabkicks :westhill is probably one of the least stressfull tracks on lfs.

Hey I thought that too. Until I tried going fast.
I was doing 40s with the FZR there, had never really tried.
But I've been lapping around it the whole week, hundreds of laps, looking at replays, at Analyze4speed, trying all kinds of approaches, but I can't go under high 32s, about 3 or 4 seconds off the WR, and 2 seconds off the fastest race lap of the typical fast guy in any pickup server.

The problem for me is the chicanes. Of course I can stuff a lot of laps and bleed quite a lot of time in the rest, for example in T4(5?), that evil right hander without any curbs on the exit, but I get that one right in at least some laps. But I'm always 20-30 Km/h too slow through both chicanes, and that's while seriously risking either a spin or understeering right onto the tyre wall.
Quote from jfgcatalan :Hey I thought that too. Until I tried going fast.
But I've been lapping around it the whole week, hundreds of laps, looking at replays, at Analyze4speed, trying all kinds of approaches, but I can't go under high 32s, about 3 or 4 seconds off the WR, and 2 seconds off the fastest race lap of the typical fast guy in any pickup server.

The problem for me is the chicanes. Of course I can stuff a lot of laps and bleed quite a lot of time in the rest, for example in T4(5?), that evil right hander without any curbs on the exit, but I get that one right in at least some laps. But I'm always 20-30 Km/h too slow through both chicanes, and that's while seriously risking either a spin or understeering right onto the tyre wall.

Just looked at LFsworld WRs and the FZR is almost 2 secs (1.72s) faster than the FXR and 1.41s faster than the XRR. FZR pwnage at purest form

Errr........you can't just remove the grass off a track just because you don't like it illepall

If we removed everything on a track we dont like, we'd all be driving around in barren swathes of tarmac.

The grass is there as a challenge, which is what racing is about, practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more, you'll get it pegged sooner or later

Dan,
I have a love hate relationship with Westhill.

On the one hand I love it, because it doesn't have nancy kerbs to save you, and it's very fast without being just left turns or easy flat.

But on the other hand I'm rubbish at it, so I hate it.

Having said that, driving an LX4 against a pack of FXO's right on the limit every lap just to keep a few behind is a stunningly awesome feeling!
Quote from Woz :Sounds like a case of fast in grass out, you need to aim for slow in fast out

lol or "slow in, grass nowt" as they say up here

soixante-neuf!!
slow in, sideways out, grass in my mouth.

That's almost a haiku...
Lx4 and 6 are so much fun right there, little skidding and trying to keep the tires out of the grass, fun
Quote from jfgcatalan :Hey I thought that too. Until I tried going fast.

compared to kyoto long, westhill is a cakewalk.

Yes it is annoying when you make a mistake at Westhill and completely lose it but it gives that extra excitement to the track

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG