The online racing simulator
WANTED: Replay of XRT @ Blackwood with a 'smooth' long race driving technique.
I'm helpless when it comes to the RWD cars in the demo.

The XR GT is pretty tame and balanced even if I just nail the throttle out of every corner. The XRT however, is getting on my nerves.

I just can't get it to handle smoothly. Whether is locking the front wheels, fishtailing out of every corner or making a mess out of hitting the apexes, I flat out suck with it. And I swear I try to teach myself: Smooth on the gas out of that damn corner, easy on the brakes, etc... I fail anyway. I have some - alledged - long race setups that should last a lot, but even on practice I'll smoke them on no time.

So... does anyone have a replay of a proper racing lap on the XRT at Blackwood? I don't mean a WR hotlap, I mean the sort of lap somebody would do on a long race... the sort of lap that wouldn't shred your tyres if you did it 3 times, but that it's fast anyway. It would help me to sort out my approach, and solve a few questions.

Please? Thanks in advance.
#2 - cdub
Turn smoothly, use the whole width of the track, brake early and accelerate late.

When I was first teaching myself the FZR, I would spin on the exit of every corner until I realised that I was only thinking about getting power to the wheels rather than taking the car through the corner. Try counting to three when you'd normally accelerate, then put the power on slowly.

What sort of controller are you using?
#3 - Misko
We just had a XRT race, 35 laps in demo, although on BL rev. It requires even more smoothnes then in normal direction but more on corner entry rather on exit. Its not a common combo but its great.

Its a MPR so its bit harder to see driving inputs well but here it is anyway, hope you find it useful: http://ultrashare.net/hosting/fl/32ce24f155/

Setup I used (and others too) is the same as for standard, just with less brake force and balance. You just have to be calm and drive relaxed and good laptimes with come without trying. If you push hard... well you already saw whats that like.
cdub:

I'm using a cheap FF wheel. The pedals are have a very short ride, so I have to be very very careful with the input. I guess I have to keep working on improving... I'm seriously lacking some patience I think.

Misko:

Thanks for the replay file! I'm downloading it as I write this. It might not have the pedal input, but I'll get the idea anyway. I don't need the exact braking distances, I just need to sort out my approach. Maybe I'm just being too agressive.

Thanks for the tips, both of you.
I use a pretty cheap FF wheel as well, but I love driving the XRT.

The first thing to try to make your life a little easier is go to the Final Drive setting and drop the Power number. It means you'll be slightly slower, but allows more room for mistakes while you learn. I started at 25 and have worked my way up to 55 or 60 over the last couple of months.

Not sure I can help with setup though - I try to avoid BL GP since I played the demo for so long

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG