The online racing simulator
Alex Zanardi doesn't use pedals either, would you ban him from racing because of his "input method"?
Quote from xapexcivicx : "Best Played with Wheel" screen.

Their already is.

This is an incredibly stupid idea to remove mouse and keyboard.
I know where this comes from

And really, there was that one fella on there *cough*palad..*cough* who supposedly has a wheel and he counldn't keep it on the track or away from other people either.

I've played with a joystick since DOS/NFS1 and finally broke down crying and begging for a split-axis wheel. It is what it is. Avoid the Noid(s).
What about a server-side option to only allow certain controllers?
I think that full (real life) international racing license, medical check and a proper personal insurance should be required for people wnting to drive the race cars (i.e. the ones on slicks).

This is an auto racing simulation after all and someone should program LFS to not allow the user to race without a license, medical check and perosnal insurance. *flame suit on*

illepall
We'll have people complaining soon that Linux users get an unfair advantage by having a more stable system, and that LFS should be made explicitly Windows only. Then the Linux crew will come along and mouth off, and stop LFS from working on Windows. So then only Mac gamers will be able to play the game, which will suck, because by definition there aren't any (Pong isn't a game, it's torture).
Quote from Revzalot :Come on guys. Why did you buy LFS in the place? Because you wanted to experience the closest thing being into a race car right. Do you see race cars equiped with a mouse? No. 'nuff said.

I own a wheel. I also live in a teensy dorm room and play LFS on a damn laptop. No room for a wheel here.

(6 seconds faster than you on WE Int'l with FV8...mouse and all. 4 seconds faster SO Town FOX...with mouse.)

Maybe you got rammed in the ass because you were in the damn way.
Ive been KB and Mouse racer since the S1 days, and I am able to keep up with the best of em with GTI's (used to anyway ), and i can have great races with other cars, so its stupid to ban KB and Mouse. Everyday i meet mouse users and keyboard players who own a wheel, but cant be bothered set it up. Now if you just wanna give the server Admin the 'option' to ban them, then ofcourse alot of them r gonna go for it thinking 'it'll give cleaner races on my server'. Sorry, thats just no LFS
Quote from Revzalot :I think wheels should be required to play LFS while other input devices should be banned such as the mouse, trackball, etc. This is an auto racing simulation after all and someone should program LFS to not allow the user to race with a mouse in MULTIPLAYER mode. *Flame suit on*

Simple answer:

The fact that LFS is a very real simulation when using a wheel but still very drivable with other control methods means LFS can and will attract a wider range of users, drawing in more users, which just gives us more people to race with and the developers more money to keep developing this sim we have all come to enjoy.

Wheel only means we loose many users and such a loss would kill LFS, plain and simple. Personaly I would like to see it stay around for awhile, wouldn't you?

See you didn't even need your flame suite.
#35 - J.B.
Quote from Revzalot :I think wheels should be required to play LFS while other input devices should be banned such as the mouse, trackball, etc. This is an auto racing simulation after all and someone should program LFS to not allow the user to race with a mouse in MULTIPLAYER mode. *Flame suit on*

You forgot to mention a reason. Will the expirience be more immersive to you when you know that your opponents are all using a wheel? I know the idea sounds silly but it is the only one I could come up with.
#36 - Woz
The change in the old KB control system caused massive fights in the community, can you imagine the chaos wheel only would cause.

For me I would NEVER have started playing LFS if it was wheel only as I didn't have a wheel when I found LFS. That said I ordered a wheel in double quick time shortly after finding LFS
A lot of racers with kb and mouse have bought S2(like me). If only wheel would be allowed, they are forced to spend ~50€(or more) on a wheel in order to play, but if they can't afford one, they wasted 24£. That's silly illepall
i can understand people without a wheel when they try the game, but to get any kind of enjoyment out of it you do really need a wheel. so it would seem logical to try it before you buy it, and when u do buy it, save some up for a wheel too.

you guys are going off in a slight tangent, making slightly absurd comparisons to forcing people to use wheels. its more about their enjoyment of the game than it is making a fair playing field!
Wish some wheel users would stop looking down their noses at others.

Is any other controller better than a wheel? No.
Is any other controller able to get you faster laptimes than a wheel? No.

Wheel users have the advantage. I suggest if you can't win against a racer who uses a mouse or a keyboard, you need practise.

People have their reasons for not being able to buy wheels, be it money reasons, space reasons or even physical disability. Why should you excluse these people? Netkar does it, and i believe it's quite sad indeed.

Take a good, long hard look at yourself. You own a wheel, you have the best controller. Everyone else is at a disadvantage. Deal with it.
Quote from vpr01 :i can understand people without a wheel when they try the game, but to get any kind of enjoyment out of it you do really need a wheel. so it would seem logical to try it before you buy it, and when u do buy it, save some up for a wheel too.

It's your opinion. Sure a wheel may yield more enjoyment, but not everyone can buy and sometimes even use a wheel.

I am not disabled but i recall a handicapped guy on the forum telling us how he used a mouse and device he pressed with his tongue to brake.

What are you gonna tell him?
This makes me really angry. It is not a problem of keyboard user if u got rammed. It is the problem in the user itself whether he drives wheel, mouse or whatever... I drive keyboard and I usually finish in top 4! My laptimes are slow compared to other racers (2-3 sec slower), but others loose out because they crash and spin all the time... and this is a real problem - people crashing/spinning into you and reversing into the racing line after a spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from vpr01 :but to get any kind of enjoyment out of it you do really need a wheel.

Why do you say this? It's quite obvious that many many people get a great deal of enjoyment out of playing LFS without owning a wheel. Good on them and thanks to the devs for having the foresight to allow anyone with a PC to play LFS.
sounds like a bad idea imo, that is, if you mean this should be an option for public servers
once again, you segregate the people that have money with the people that dont .. or just dont want to buy a wheel

either way, at first it may sound like a good idea, but what good is it really? the people with the wheels are usually the worst drivers quite honestly, i know cause when i hit N ingame and see everyone is using a wheel.. they are all over the place... while of course the WR holder uses a mouse..... lol i mean common, if your comfortable with what your using, why take it away from them? its not really a matter of real or not, rather what you are used to
I use a Playstation style joypad because disability prevents me from using a wheel & pedals, so I'll be off then shall I.
I see myself as a hardcore sim fan (or freak ). I used wheels since the good old Indycar Racing and Grand Prix 2 days. Lots of people i know also fought i was crazy to buy the red Momo force that in time wasn't the cheapest one. I also drive a lot of Karting in rl. But hey thats just me, and i think that all kind of driving inputs has to be allowed. There are lot of poeple that are faster with mouse ore keyboard then, well they practiced and earned it. If someone really wants to drive only against wheel users then drive in a league, like the ESL's leagues. They have rules to just drive with wheel. Although it wouldn't bother me if there where also mouse and keyboard users. You can't say that all the mouse/keyboards drivers are slow or are wreckers cause that definitly don't apply. There are the ones that drive alot and there the ones that drive perhaps once a week, no matter what input they have. And personally i would rather drive against a full grid of keyboard/mouse drivers that drive clean and perhaps fast than against 5 wheel wreckers.
Quote from Nighty :I use a Playstation style joypad because disability prevents me from using a wheel & pedals, so I'll be off then shall I.

I use a PS2 pad now aswell, because the the pedals for the wheel i bought, no longer work.

Until someone makes a decent wheel/pedal set, for less then £100, that doesnt break, then i wont be buying another wheel. And no, im not willing to buy a frex/other high end system, as their price's take the p!ss.

[sarcasm]You should remove me from the game i've played for three years, just because i cannot use my wheel anymore because he pedals are crap and no longer work. [/sarcasm]
Why stop at a wheel?

[Sarcasm] I don't think you should be able to play LFS unless you have a three monitor surround vision setup with a 6 speaker surrond sound system all housed in a $35,000.00 state of the art motion simulator [/Sarcasm]

I dunno... Wheels, Mouse K/board even tha ps2 controller is ok by me. But I draw the line with Xbox controllers. Just who do those people think they are anyways?

LOL my daughter has one a those dance pads for the Playstation....wonder
what THAT would be like to use?
Quote from Racer Y :I dunno... Wheels, Mouse K/board even tha ps2 controller is ok by me. But I draw the line with Xbox controllers. Just who do those people think they are anyways?

Dont mock my xbox controller!
#50 - Vain
Quote :Dont mock my xbox controller!

What do we have to fear? That it brakes our hands in revenge?

Vain

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG