The online racing simulator
AI drifting?
(36 posts, started )
AI drifting?
I dont know if any one has already suggested this, but how about AI drifting? instead of normal racing, Giving you something to practice on as well as learning the tracks too with out goin online.
That suggestion isnt a bad idea.. Maybe I could start drifting then
But imho drifting is very hard to implement for AIs...
yea, your right.
Drift requires alots more skill compared to racing and all so to program an AI to drift would be a fair effort. But im all for it
they "do" drift with a proper setup, well not as good as "the pros" under us, but they can already
#6 - Fetzo
give the AI a very weird setup and it drifts like it never done anything else.....

this feature is already implemented .
#7 - bbman
Yes, please let AI drift and let them do it flawlessly... Maybe then such ideas would be kept to self, where they belong... illepall
#8 - w126
AI could at least drive sideways (on purpose) when cornering on dirt parts of rallycross tracks. That would make them quicker.

LFS is not a Drifting Sim, it is a Racing Sim. The Developers have more important things to do; they haven't even given a decent racing AI, I severely doubt that they will spend time on drifting AI.
For rallyX, +1.
#11 - Woz
Quote from DRFT KING :yea, your right.
Drift requires alots more skill compared to racing and all so to program an AI to drift would be a fair effort. But im all for it

Sorry but what utter utter shite.

Are you saying that pushing a car to the edge of grip and holding it there so you get the absolute most out of the car on a lap does not take a huge amount of skill?

You must have ALL the world record lap times on LFS World by now. Being a drift king must mean you have mastered grip racing as that takes no skill compared to the demands of drifting. illepall

All AI programming is hard work as shown by the fact that even the Pro AI are well off the pace at the moment. Its just a different set of skills.
er.. dont bash Woz, drifting has its fair side of skills it requires, and WAY more in life where you can't just go around and hope not to hit a wall; while racing has its required skills to so you can't say anything about either, its just a different type of skill thats all

why do people hate others that think/act/are 'different' than themselves? i dont understand the whole reasoning behind that
#13 - JJ72
the current AI can drift as good as they can drive fast, i'll put it this way.

if you ask me whether we should improve their ability to drift or ability to drive fast, or course the latter.
Quote from Woz :Sorry but what utter utter shite.

Are you saying that pushing a car to the edge of grip and holding it there so you get the absolute most out of the car on a lap does not take a huge amount of skill?

You must have ALL the world record lap times on LFS World by now. Being a drift king must mean you have mastered grip racing as that takes no skill compared to the demands of drifting. illepall

racing and drifting are 2 very different skills, both of wich are very hard to do at a high lvl

as for the AI, i think they need to get it a bit better befor they can even think about making the AI drift
#15 - Woz
Quote from XCNuse :er.. dont bash Woz, drifting has its fair side of skills it requires, and WAY more in life where you can't just go around and hope not to hit a wall; while racing has its required skills to so you can't say anything about either, its just a different type of skill thats all

why do people hate others that think/act/are 'different' than themselves? i dont understand the whole reasoning behind that

So you didnt pick up on his original post that stated that compared to drifting racing is childs play, is that not bashing?

Quote from DRFT KING :yea, your right.

YES I KNOW that drifting takes a lot of skill to do WELL BUT a post that states that drifting is hard and compared to drifting racing is easy is utter shite and hence my post. I would love to see a good drifter put in a competitive lap in a full grid race at Bathurst in a race spec V8.
How about making the AI try to copy the player(s). This would enable you to decide how the AIs drive. Drifters could teach the AI to drift and racers could teach them to race. I don't know how hard it would be to code, but it would be nice
Quote from geeman1 :How about making the AI try to copy the player(s). This would enable you to decide how the AIs drive. Drifters could teach the AI to drift and racers could teach them to race. I don't know how hard it would be to code, but it would be nice

although LFS kicks GTR in many ways, AI is not one of them. the GTR AIs are quite fast, and also learn to copy the driving style of the human player. that would be a nice feature for LFS. but if we are talking about improving the LFS AIs, i'd really like it if they were taught one simple lesson: how to avoid rear ending the cars in front of them!
im pretty sure he was being slightly sarcastic; i wasn't being totally oh you sob you freaking hate drifting blah blah tangent, just stating that both sides have its equal share of skills required
#19 - Woz
Quote from evilgeek :although LFS kicks GTR in many ways, AI is not one of them. the GTR AIs are quite fast, and also learn to copy the driving style of the human player. that would be a nice feature for LFS. but if we are talking about improving the LFS AIs, i'd really like it if they were taught one simple lesson: how to avoid rear ending the cars in front of them!

The main difference between the AI in ISI sims and LFS is that ISI sims cheat and just make the cars go the speed they need to while the LFS AI drives the car using the same controls as the player.

It should not be that bad to make the AI understand how to drift as in reality you are only pushing the tires further into slip angle than in grip racing and also the balance between front and rear slip angles are shifted in that the rear is well into slip while the front far less. The angle of attack can then be controlled using the balance between front and rear.

The main issue with the AI at present is that they still think the cars are to S1 spec in that they know nothing about pit stops and more key the effects of damage and tire heat on grip. So there is a lot of work required on them before anything thing else.

If anything I think pushing the AI control through an in/out sim like interface would be a good move as this would allow 3rd party development of AI cars.
AI Drifting is not a realy good idea. Just go online and have fun with other drifters.
I must admit i was looking for a reaction, lol. Being in a mostly grip style racing community.

Quote from Woz :Are you saying that pushing a car to the edge of grip and holding it there so you get the absolute most out of the car on a lap does not take a huge amount of skill?

Nope

Quote from Woz :You must have ALL the world record lap times on LFS World by now. Being a drift king must mean you have mastered grip racing as that takes no skill compared to the demands of drifting. illepall

Does my name say grip king, no. So why should i have all the world record times? If you know anything about drifting you'll know its got nothing to do with times. illepall
"Grip style" racing
Most people would just call it "racing" Grip isn't a "style" illepall In actual racing, it's not optional...
@Hankstar
Quote from Woz :... Being a drift king must mean you have mastered grip racing as that takes no skill compared to the demands of drifting. illepall

He said it first
I think he heard it first from a drifter, or he was being ironic. Or something
#25 - Woz
Quote from Hankstar :I think he heard it first from a drifter, or he was being ironic. Or something

Yep, heard a few drifters call it grip racing or other variations.

AI drifting?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG