The online racing simulator
Why not more tracks?
(79 posts, started )
Definitely a good point. In real life I would imagine that by the time cars are able to test the track properly at racing speeds the layout is pretty much decided (maybe save a few details). But then I guess the track designers are usually quite experienced and have quite a background in the area and a few consultants etc. That is not the case for Eric I suppose, but I'd guess driving the tracks with current physics would be fine because I'd imagine future changes won't be so big as to make a big difference to how tracks drive (*in most cases at least*).
There are still some thing with the physics that don't feel quite right, although it is quite close imho. But the content has some issues at., like the TBO/GTR class balances or clutch packs. One thing about the tracks is that they are very similar in some aspects. You always have to brake in straight line, only few corners are different and even fewer are hard to get right. The other thing is that on LFS tracks it is always a corner or a straight, never anything like Mosport, where the whole track is one big turn. The FE is a perfect example of this. Turn, straight, turn, straight... And that makes the LFS a lot less challenging, because putting your car into right position before entering a corner is a lot easier when you have to do it at the end of a straight and not in a long corner.

In short, LFS tracks lack balls, they are all like the current Imola without the Acque minerali section (http://www.formula1.sm/autodrome.htm). I want sections where I have to brake in steep downhill while the track goes slightly left tightening into a slow chicane, followed by steep uphill-flatout corner, then a bumpy off-camber 4th gear turn followed by short straight and a blind hairpin. I really suggest that you take a drive in some other sim and download few high rated circuits and compare them to LFS ones. I bet you can ignore the physics issues for a while because some of the tracks are really great. I'd suggest GPL

BTW. now that we are talking about tracks, why don't you try the old S1 Blackwood and then drive the S2 Blackwood. Graphics wise the S2 version is far better but I like the S1 version better because the corners are more steeper and it has more character. It is like the difference between the new and old Imola.
Now I'm getting what Hyper's saying. I agree in those things about the "spirit" of the tracks. I still keep my view concerning the honing of trackdetails.

Steep hills with turns are what I miss. Few weeks ago I was longboarding in Ahvenisto track and fell in love with the profile. Very steep up and downhills with nice, tight corners.

http://tak.tky.hut.fi/Motorsport/Ahvenisto/ahvenist.htm
(In Finnish, sorry. Pictures and vid are in English )
Quote from Julppu :Now I'm getting what Hyper's saying. I agree in those things about the "spirit" of the tracks. I still keep my view concerning the honing of trackdetails.

Steep hills with turns are what I miss. Few weeks ago I was longboarding in Ahvenisto track and fell in love with the profile. Very steep up and downhills with nice, tight corners.

http://tak.tky.hut.fi/Motorsport/Ahvenisto/ahvenist.htm
(In Finnish, sorry. Pictures and vid are in English )

One of my dreams would be to drive the XRR around Ahvenisto

Why not more tracks?
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG