The online racing simulator
Do we need so many different cars in LFS
OK, the obvious answer to my own question is yes - the more the better! One of the most appealing reasons to hand over the £24 is to get access to a garage full of different cars and it's great fun trying them all out but my question really concerns online racing.

I've only been playing LFS for about a month and until last night had not raced online, preferring to hone my skill (if you can call it that) against computer cars. My car of choice has been the FOX and i'll admit I chose that because it has a fairly sweet nature and neutral handling. As I'm now reasonably confident at being able to stay on the track and post a decent time around the Aston Grand Prix circuit I thought I'd see if there was a game I could join. There wasn't as it happens (I'm guessing the Aston Grand Prix track is not too popular - lots of people seem to like the cadet track), so I thought I'd start my own race. I didn't want to restrict it to just FOX racers because I thought I'd probably never get a challenger so I opened it up to all single seaters and sure enough a couple of Saubers joined after about a lap. I had good fun for about a lap and a half trying to stay ahead of them but inevitably they reeled me in and although the first guy (Becu?) passed me on the straight when I was flying in sixth gear with foot to the floor he shot past me as If I was standing still. I had a bit of fun trying to keep up with them and found I could get closer approaching slow chicanes because of their need for greater braking distance but to be honest it was fairly hopeless and I parked my car on the side of the track after another couple of laps, fairly dispirited.

So, back to the question (I get there in the end - like my laps of Aston ) - Is there any point in continuing with the FOX or should I just jump in a Sauber? Do the majority of racers just choose the fastest cars in the class, in which case we probably just need the Sauber for single seaters and the FZ50 for tin tops?

Hopefully you guys will tell me there is plenty of support for all cars but if that's the case can someone tell me where all the FOX racers are?
#2 - bbman
Simple answer is: Given the choice, 95 % of the racers choose the fastest car available, in many cases even if the can't handle the power... You should have restricted your server to one class (UF1, XFG-XRG, FXO-RB4-XRT [-LX4], FZ5-LX6-RAC, UFR-XFR, MRT5, FOX, FO8, BF1, FXR-FZR-XRR)... You'd have had more fun and maybe even have attracted more races...
sweet nature? lol the FOX is one of the hardest openwheelers to control at the limit (atleast i think so)

imo, if you can handle the fox well, then there is no doubt you can handle the sauber, the sauber is way way way more responsive, you have way more control, and you have extremely little wheelspin thanks to the traction control
In the Sauber, the fact that stuff comes up at you so much faster means you have that much less time to get the perfect braking point, turn in point, or apex. It's also far more difficult to be precise with your line through chicanes and perhaps other turns.

Also, last time I checked, there were 2 FOX servers that were practically full. Granted, this was a week or 2 ago.

You might want to check out the OWRL (http://www.owrl.de/) but be warned, there are rules to be followed and the average skill of the drivers in any league is generally much higher than on public servers.
Lately I have been driving the FZR. Before that, I went through a period of only driving the FO8. And, for a few days I went back to the good ole XFG, which is quite tricky to drive at the limit!
#6 - SamH
At the moment, I'm enjoying the LRF class, most particularly the LX6. When I want to go GTR, I head for the FZR. I love driving the XFR against the UFR, even though I seem to win more races with the UFR using Race_S. The BF1 I love, because it's a different challenge. To drive it quickly, you really need your wits about you. And it screams.. and I like that.

The FOX, though.. ugh. It's vanilla. It's okay for an easy race, but it's far too easy to drive, to keep my attention for more than a race or two. I'm fast enough in it.. pretty competitive, in fact, but I don't have any affection for it at all.

There's no point in driving a BMW Sauber against a Formula XR in a race. They're not in the same class at all. If you drive the BMW properly, you don't need much, if any, more breaking distance than you do in a FOX, but you can get out of the corner faster, and of course your top speed is over the hills and far away from the FOX's.

Different tracks obviously suit different cars. Kyoto GP Long is great for the BF1, but I can't begin to imagine the mind-numbingness of driving a UF1 around it. Aston GP is great for the GTRs and the Formula One, and it also has something for an LRF driver, but I don't find any pleasure in driving a FOX around it.

There definitely aren't too many cars in LFS. Each one is driven enthusiastically by some group of drivers on LFS.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I would like to have more cars with the same specs. I would like to see 5 different shapes of cars racing together.

OT. What I really want to have is a bigger car limit. 43 or so
Quote from thisnameistaken : or one of these weird "roleplaying" servers that have started turning up lately, where everybody drives around at 30mph using their indicators. illepall

LOL you've gotta be sh$#$#* me, mate...
I still want a Nissan Skyline with Nos Or maybe a Skoda ? Would be great

NoT!
#10 - Gunn
I'd be more inclined to join a FOX-only server (on any track, even GP tracks) than I would be inclined to join a mixed car server, especially if the BF1 is one of those cars. The FOX is a great car that promotes close racing. It's a car that you can really take to the limit and it is fun to race.

If there were more servers with only one car type I reckon better racing could be found on public servers. Mixed car servers don't race well. Even the cars from the "TBO class" are not evenly matched and are better on some tracks than others.
I'd like to see ONE car whell done instead of a lot with so many things to do yet.

I'd rather prefer to drive ONE with no aero issues, but complete, with oil heating, brake waste, and etc.

Schummaker was a F1 driver for so many years. I don't think he would change a perfect car for a dozen of Minis, Karts and F3.

There are so many things to do until LFS reach the final S2 stage, and I really don't believe that a lot of half-made cars is a need.

But, once that Scawen doesn't model the cars, but Erik, in my vision I consider that it would be very more interesting and important to improve the tracks, specially with more tracks , and if has free time, a more detailed landscape and trackside objects.

Of course everybody has a wish list, and this is the most reviewed topic in this forum, but this is not a wish list, it is just a priority over the car's quantity question.
If I join a race I'm in it to win it and I'm going to grab the fastest car possible, I'm overjoyed if there's a race for the win but I'm not going to cripple myself just to get a race.
So if you're on a server where most people are running the FOX or FO8, you'd go for the BF1? illepall
Quote from Forbin :So if you're on a server where most people are running the FOX or FO8, you'd go for the BF1? illepall

When did that ever happen?
happens more often than you would think... (as me too)

[maybe the english version of this post has been translated a bit crappy in my mind...]

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG