The online racing simulator
Custom resolutions list
(11 posts, started )
Custom resolutions list
OK, this is my last hoping of finding out how to do this.

What I'm aiming to achieve is simple... you all know when you right click on the desktop, go to properties, then settings, there's a wonderful slider that lets you change the resolution. Having upgraded to new a graphic card/ drivers, I've more options in this last than before (but still with the same monitor). Certain games that query DirectX also use this list (such as LFS).

Crunch time:
How can I edit this list?

There has to be a way, this data must be stored somwhere. The nVidia drivers let you add to this list, but not remove resolutions (as far as I can tell) - but I'm using an ATI card anyway.

I've tried ATI Tray Tools / PowerStrip, and not had much luck with either (but then PowerStrip does have the most awkward interface in the world).

Any suggestions?

Cheers
I found that with the NVIDIA 84.21 drivers, I could add resolutions that I could then use for the desktop, but not in any games. With the new 91.47 drivers, adding a resolution also makes it available in games.

Since you're using ATI, this doesn't really help you much, but it should prove useful for others.
Before nvidia added the functionality in the driver menus, you could add new resolutions by modifying the driver inf files.
Quote from Kegetys :Before nvidia added the functionality in the driver menus, you could add new resolutions by modifying the driver inf files.

Amongst my 2+ hours of googling, I came across that suggestion.
However, I've yet to find an explanation as to how to edit it (perhaps that is obvious once the file is opened), and how to know which of the hundreds of .inf files is the one to edit.
PowerStrip reportedly allows you to create custom resolutions; although this is payware.

You can also do it by editing the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\VIDEO\{Hexadecimal number for your primary video card}\0000, and change the keys DefaultSettings.XResolution and DefaultSettings.YResolution. Unfortunately this is a one time thing - if I remember correctly.
Yep, found all that, but thanks anyway TAA.

My main issue is that my monitor support so many resolutions, I'd actually like to remove some from the list (i.e. all the non-4:3 resolutions) so that if I use the right-click facility to change resolution I don't have a list that fills the screen.

So I'm looking at either removing resolutions from the list, or if that's not possible, limiting the list to my own list of custom resolutions, so I can just add the useful resolutions.

Kegetys - I found the .inf file that I installed for my monitor but that only to limit the maximum resolution, rather than offering a complete listing?
Quote from Bob Smith :Yep, found all that, but thanks anyway TAA.

It's worth a try

Do you really change resolution that often? Surely once its set, thats it?
It can be a bit annoying to scroll through masses of display options in a game if the resolution selection is not done right, some freeware for instance just lists modes and asks you to type a number, but sometimes the list goes off the screen! Having said that, LFS isn't too bad. I'd preffer all the options to be there tbh as I never know when i'm going to take my computer somewhere else and plug it into a different monitor (I dont travel with my flatscreen).
Quote from the_angry_angel :Do you really change resolution that often? Surely once its set, thats it?

No, not that often, but by the sound of things, more regularly than you.

It's by no means a pain in the ass, but I'd prefer to edit the list than leave it like it is... and I like a challenge. But progress is stalled atm.
u can add custom res for AGES on nv drivers. not only from 90 series onwards.
all custom res added on windows are shown on lfs for years.
i play on them...
prior to having them on drivermenu u could even create them by hand editing a bit or using external apps to do it.
so easy...but nowadays even easier.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :u could even create them by hand editing a bit or using external apps to do it.

Either of those methods work for ATI users? If so, care to share any more info?

Custom resolutions list
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG