The online racing simulator
24mbit Broadband for £24/month! I want it!
Shame i cant get it, as im currrently paying £30 a month for my 2mb line.

We have our own telephone company, which owns the lines, and are not allowing anyone else to use them (ie - BT, ntl ect), forcing us to use them, or have no internet.

Basically, they have a monopoly here, so they can charge wtf they want. :mad:
Grrrr, that sucks. Was the same situation with me too in my area up until 2005.
I too pay £30 for a 2mb line, I would be VERY warey of this new service as

a) it isnt actually up and running yet

b) it isnt going to be nationwide

c) they are going to have "fair usage limits", which ALWAYS means you will be using to much bandwidth unless you are a very light user.

The good news is that the monopoly will be no more as soon as more and more local exchanges are "unbundled" and ISP's can offer a "complete" service without using any of BT's lines.

Dan.
Just to let you know, Be isnt the only people doing this.

I believe Pipex have something like this going on, Telewest are upgrading their entire system (those on the elite will soon get 10Mbit/sec down, but all plans will still have a shitty upload).

Also I believe Be were naught - stealing Bulldog's TOS. Norteh.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Just to let you know, Be isnt the only people doing this.

I believe Pipex have something like this going on, Telewest are upgrading their entire system (those on the elite will soon get 10Mbit/sec down, but all plans will still have a shitty upload).

Also I believe Be were naught - stealing Bulldog's TOS. Norteh.

Yes, there are lots of things going on right now, 8mb on normal ADSL will be standard very soon, also uploads will become 768k as opposed to the 256k we now have, and as you say the cable companies have already started rolling out 10mb, I wonder how much extra bandwidth our already choked telecoms system can take.

LLU is going to do great things .
I know for a fact that the telewest system can sustain 10Mbit/sec up and down per street/main fibre in my area. God knows what the exchange gets hammered with.

As for anything over copper - not sure. It really cant be much more But then it is a ludicriously outdated system.
It is, not to mention some of the god-awfull aluminium wiring that some households have, which in some case won't sustain broadband at all.

I doubt we will see a big overhaul from BT for a while yet, although I did hear of them doing some fibre-optic re-cabling recently.

Trouble with cable is its not that widely available, outside of Norwich I know that pretty much the whole county of Norfolk cant get cable.

Dan.
#9 - AndyC
Ye, knew about this site a while ago but it isn't going to get going until 06. Might be worth a look then. But like its been said many other companies are going in the same direction. I believe plus.net are going the same way (without looking).

Hopefully they'll come soon but I still think the upload speed will be limited to a poor speed, no more than 1 mb/s I guess.

Andy.
i pay £25 for 8mb maybe ill upgrade as i live in uk.... :P
Freedom2surf are rolling out both 8Mbit and 24Mbit services in the near future. 8Mbit is active (depending on your exchange, obviously), and 24 is trialling in certain areas (which ones, I don't know).
Yeah I read about ADSL2+ a few weeks ago. The 24Mbit is the line limit, I read that 18Mbit was typically the sort of speeds you could expect. IIRC there are two companies doing trial runs of the product at the moment.
They have the same here in Holland, 20mbit for 20 euro's / month, but i can't get it either, about 90% of holland cant get it, and plus i heard some rumours about it that it won't even reach it's full 20mbit. some people say you get about 10mbit in with it.
Well i didn't test it yet, so i have no proof of that. And it could only be in Holland
i'm confused...

i have a 2MB (MegaByte) connection. If there are 8 bits in a byte does that mean i have 16MBit line?
could anyone clear this up for me?
20 mbit 20 euros! Im paying 33 € for 1/512 line...oh well, long distances and small amount of people on large area makes it expensive

and 24£ is only 35 € :Eyecrazy: I would like to have that 24 line too...
Quote from nikimere :i'm confused...

i have a 2MB (MegaByte) connection. If there are 8 bits in a byte does that mean i have 16MBit line?

No, a 2MB line is 2048k, therefore download speebs of 256kb/s, a 24MB line would be 24,576k, therefore download at 3,072kb/s.

I wish they would'nt use all these differing bits, bytes rubbish and standardize the way speed is described, its almost as confusing for people as HDD size, if I had a £1 for everytime someone asked why a 100GB HDD isnt really 100GB's I would be a very rich man.

Dan.

If you can download with 2000kb/s, then yes

Man, why do all guys who are not from Germany have like 1000kTMb line and pay even less for it :faint2:
Quote from danowat :No, a 2MB line is 2048k, therefore download speebs of 256kb/s, a 24MB line would be 24,576k, therefore download at 3,072kb/s.

I wish they would'nt use all these differing bits, bytes rubbish and standardize the way speed is described, its almost as confusing for people as HDD size, if I had a £1 for everytime someone asked why a 100GB HDD isnt really 100GB's I would be a very rich man.

Dan.

so there is no difference between 2 MegaByte and 2 MegaBit??
Quote from nikimere :so there is no difference between 2 MegaByte and 2 MegaBit??

ADSL is always measured in bits and not bytes.

you dont have a 2mbyte line, you have a 2mbit line
I'd rather have better upstream speeds, 24Mbps download with 1Mbps upload is quite ridiculous...

Quote :so there is no difference between 2 MegaByte and 2 MegaBit??

One byte (B) is eight bits (b).
Quote from dUmAsS :you dont have a 2mbyte line, you have a 2mbit line

cool, thanks for clearing that one up
My ISP are going to be opening a few more plans to.

Just noticed prices have dropped can't wait to renew and pay £13 a month for 1mb can't get 2mb where I live Pitty as it's only an extra £2 a month.

Keiran
@ Kegetys:

Quote from nikimere :...If there are 8 bits in a byte...

got that one earlier
But the problem is that most people dont care if it's B or b
many write "kb" when they mean kilobyte, simply because they are too lazy to press Shift just for one Character :P

To test your connection speed it's always a goos idea to download a file from a fast server and see what you got. Maybe you have paid for more than you actually have.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG