The online racing simulator
Editor Test Patch D50 (now D64)
(96 posts, closed, started )
Please try again. Should be fixed.
Quote from Victor :Please try again. Should be fixed.

Car uploading is fixed thank you!
Why can't pop up light subobjects have a flip function? E.g. if someone wanted to have a light just on one side and make it swap sides with the driver side, or to make something else moveable only on one side.
Attached images
lfs_00000448.jpg
Changes in D56

Skin mappings that move with driver side swaps no longer avoid flip
Transparency now works correctly with popup headlight objects
Popup headlights now support flip function

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/106004
Quote from Victor :Please try again. Should be fixed.

Now I'm attempting to upload a new mod, and the section for the 5 screenshots isn't working. I select the files and it still says no file choosen. Tried waiting a while and submitted with error "Provide screenshots of at least the front, rear and side views, an interior screenshot and at least one action screenshot."

Nevermind, it was just insanely slow. After I submitted this post I walked away on it again and came back to 3/5 uploaded and just waited for the other 2.
I really liked the ability to move nodes in editor when I had the suspension tab (Shift + L) open, it was a lot easier to dial in the caster and inclination quickly.

Also I am finding that for some specific offroad vehicles I want to be able to set the spring rate lower than the game allows, is it possible to change the lower limit for that?
Quote from RE Amemiya :I really liked the ability to move nodes in editor when I had the suspension tab (Shift + L) open, it was a lot easier to dial in the caster and inclination quickly.

I don't know about this. To save me trying to figure out, please can you explain in more detail?
Editor 0.7D58:

Moving subobjects:

Popup headlight system generalised for moving objects with switches
Subobjects can rotate a set angle, slide or spin at a given speed
This can be connected to switched lights / ignition / horn / siren
New test system in vehicle editor "Class / Inputs" tab (top left)

Download: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/106004
Quote from Scawen :I don't know about this. To save me trying to figure out, please can you explain in more detail?

For example on a McPherson suspension, you adjust the caster by moving the top thrust point forward and back. The only way right now to see the caster number is using the suspension diagram like he stated, but when you open the diagram the special draw submenu and points disappear. So you have to adjust the point, tab into the suspension diagram back and forth sometimes a dozen times before you nail the desired number.

It would be cool to have adjustable caster within reason as something we can enable on mods for adjustment in the pits. As well as adjustable rear trailing arm geometry for motorcycles specifically, move the pivot up and down and move the rear trail length as well at the rear axle.
Editor 0.7D58:

thank you for this nice update Omg omg omg hope you can sleep now haha
Quote from Slashpca :For example on a McPherson suspension, you adjust the caster by moving the top thrust point forward and back. The only way right now to see the caster number is using the suspension diagram like he stated, but when you open the diagram the special draw submenu and points disappear.

OK, so that is the point coordinates, of the selected point, in previous versions used to be visible but now it says "the selected point is not visible".

I've made a note to look at that. Thanks.
I found a bug in the new D58 patch, basicly when i merge the subobject (movable) the subobject dissapeared even tho i selected the option to let it stay empty.
Attached images
image.png
image.png
image.png
Thank you for the report, I confirm that function is wrongly controlled by the other option.

So, as a workaround for now, you can use the option:

"keep existing triangle layers"

That will correctly keep existing triangle layers but will also make the empty object remain.
Quote from Scawen :Thank you for the report, I confirm that function is wrongly controlled by the other option.

So, as a workaround for now, you can use the option:

"keep existing triangle layers"

That will correctly keep existing triangle layers but will also make the empty object remain.

thank you for the answer, i will do as you say.
Now that we can test the car lights live in the editor, could the dashboard be in sync with those switches just like light mappings? Right now all dashboard lights are on by default.
Attached images
lfs_00000475.jpg
Have tested realistic movable 1930s pop-up side indicators and it is perfect! The only trouble I had was that I had to pay attention to local axes (a part of the object was blinking when the opposite indicator was on, which was easily fixed), but that is a feature, not a bug Smile
Attached images
indicator_test.jpg
Mirrors doesn't seem to work on rotators. I've made wing mirrors but they just dark. I guess similar issue like mirrors on steering wheel.

Quote from stuchlo :Have tested realistic movable 1930s pop-up side indicators and it is perfect! The only trouble I had was that I had to pay attention to local axes (a part of the object was blinking when the opposite indicator was on, which was easily fixed), but that is a feature, not a bug Smile

Nice, I did think of this type of indicators. Smile

I understand that feature / issue you mentioned. A moving subobject indicator's triangles are designated "right" or "left" depending on their points' local X (relative to their subobject's centre rather than the main object's centre). I just tried a little code that adds the offset of the subobject itself, to get the total X (assuming the object is not rotated). It works well and I wonder if I should use this new version of the left/right detection (that is only used for indicators).

Quote from Drifteris :Mirrors doesn't seem to work on rotators. I've made wing mirrors but they just dark. I guess similar issue like mirrors on steering wheel.

Yes, it's way too difficult to make mirrors on subobjects work at this time. I can't begin to explain the complexity of the mirrors code right now, and it's not something I want to update in two separate versions of LFS. But I do want to do it in the future, maybe around at the same time I do the camera-based rear view displays.
I have some ideas for animations in my mods but I wanna ask about optimalization. How heavy is that stuff for CPU, especially on servers where are many cars with animated objects?
Do hidding triangles of animated parts change something?
For example if I make visible turbo with spinning rotor connected to crankshaft and make second body config where turbo rotor triangles are hidden.
There is a CPU and GPU cost but I hope not too bad. I don't know any specific figures, although it's always best not to show things if they aren't visible. One of these objects wouldn't be a significant cost like a spare wheel, which sends its tyre polygons to the GPU every frame.

To your last sentence, empty objects (with no triangles) are deleted and then have no cost at all, so it is worth making them invisible in configurations where they are covered.
Editor D59

Vehicle editor:

Selected suspension point can (again) be adjusted in SHIFT+L view
Subobject indicators left / right now relative to whole vehicle
FIX: Passengers were not updated when selecting a different setup

Modeller:

New flood select function to select all triangles by point sharing
- different from CTRL+SHIFT+LMB (select related triangles by edge)
- ALT+RMB selects all connected triangles regardless of properties
- triangles are considered connected if they share a single point
FIX: Keep merged subobject feature was controlled by wrong option

In order to keep the fps high, in the next major update, there may be a feature such as turning off the loading of the interior of vehicles other than our own vehicle.
Just tested a spinner object. I have mapped it to an ignition switch. Looks like a real toy car and I am having a lot of fun with it Big grin Have found only one small issue. When the ignition switch is turned off, the spinner smoothly stops a rotation and then it jumps abruptly back to a default position.
Attached images
spinner_test_toy_car.jpg
Quote from Scawen :Editor D59

Vehicle editor:

Selected suspension point can (again) be adjusted in SHIFT+L view
Subobject indicators left / right now relative to whole vehicle
FIX: Passengers were not updated when selecting a different setup

Modeller:

New flood select function to select all triangles by point sharing
- different from CTRL+SHIFT+LMB (select related triangles by edge)
- ALT+RMB selects all connected triangles regardless of properties
- triangles are considered connected if they share a single point
FIX: Keep merged subobject feature was controlled by wrong option

Thank you so much! I really like the new updates its a lot easier to work with.
Hey Scawen, I know you have been insanely busy with these last few patches, and I know that the stable branch release is this weekend, is there any chance that we can get (back) stretched tire support?

I'd even go for the points that we have to move ourselves on the tire side of the rim if we have to, many of our mods (20+) run a slight stretch as most drifters do. The best case would be the tire stretch support like pre D50, but understandably the code could have changed to add complications.

Not to discount the recent additions at all, the latest changes are some of the most exciting features we have gotten in years!
This thread is closed

Editor Test Patch D50 (now D64)
(96 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG