The online racing simulator

Poll : Which terminology do you prefer to describe the headlights state?

Closed since :
low beam / high beam
dipped / full beam
Dipped / Full Beam or Low Beam / High Beam
Which terminology do you prefer to describe the headlights state?

I really wanted a two hour poll but minimum is one day. I'm not waiting that long!
Hello, low beam/high beam speaks more to international users, which sounds better in the sake of standardization (and to non UK resident ears).
when i translated new words i cant understand about lighting terms, because in want to see low/hight beam but not dipper/full light

when i translate this word from my origin language its translates as low/hight beam
Quote from Kanade :Hello, low beam/high beam speaks more to international users, which sounds better in the sake of standardization (and to non UK resident ears).

agreed. Dipped is something you do not recognize as a non native speaker (like me as a German for example)
I've never heard "dipped" beams until the patch released
#6 - Pasci
Quote from Rob2003 :agreed. Dipped is something you do not recognize as a non native speaker (like me as a German for example)

For me too Smile
I had never heard of "dipped beam" before and had to google what it means.
My first guess were moveable lights like on XRT or Lotus Esprit:

google:
"low beam" 12.600.000 results
"dipped beam" 574.000 results
its quicker to type so i say low and high
Low and high are more global
Aswell as the side lights, I didn't know what it mean until I figured it's same as day light running lights
Quote from bayanofmansorofisky :...the side lights, I didn't know what it mean until I figured it's same as day light running lights

It's not.

Sidelights have always been around, it's the first click of the light switch before the proper headlights are switched on. They are much dimmer than headlights. Intended to make the car more visible before needing to switch headlights on. Mainly useless, if it's getting a bit dark and you want to be visible, usually better to switch on the dipped headlights. Added benefit that if a headlight bulb blows, your car doesn't appear to be a motorbike, because the sidelight indicated where a headlight should be.

Daytime running lights are a totally new thing, appeared in the last few years, a bright light that is intended to be really seen in daylight, and much too bright for night use, need to be dimmed or off when headlights are switched on to avoid blinding other drivers.
Sidelights is understandable, but here I always translated "feux de position" (vive le France) to "parking lights" instead of "sidelights" (the lights are on the front & rear, not side eh).

Personally I understand "parking lights" better.
Quote from Kanade :Sidelights is understandable, but here I always translated "feux de position" (vive le France) to "parking lights" instead of "sidelights" (the lights are on the front & rear, not side eh).

Personally I understand "parking lights" better.

It seems like "position lights" can be used too for sidelights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Front_position_lights

Quote from Wikipedia :Front position lights[23] (known as parking lights in North America[11] and front sidelights in the UK)

Thanks you for responding to the poll. We have a clear winner! Nod

It is now low beam / high beam in Test Patch D51
Quote from Scawen :It's not.

Sidelights have always been around, it's the first click of the light switch before the proper headlights are switched on. They are much dimmer than headlights. Intended to make the car more visible before needing to switch headlights on. Mainly useless, if it's getting a bit dark and you want to be visible, usually better to switch on the dipped headlights. Added benefit that if a headlight bulb blows, your car doesn't appear to be a motorbike, because the sidelight indicated where a headlight should be.

Daytime running lights are a totally new thing, appeared in the last few years, a bright light that is intended to be really seen in daylight, and much too bright for night use, need to be dimmed or off when headlights are switched on to avoid blinding other drivers.

Ah yes, i must have mixed between these and what we call "city lights" yes a small bulp turns on in headlights with tail lights and dashboard lights

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG