The online racing simulator
When I'm not playing lfs...
(43 posts, started )
It's strange how agile a headless chook can be - you'd swear they know you're there and are trying to avoid being caught again: "you already got my head you bastard, you'll never take me drumsticks!"
Quote from Hankstar :It's strange how agile a headless chook can be - you'd swear they know you're there and are trying to avoid being caught again: "you already got my head you bastard, you'll never take me drumsticks!"

That chicken has been watching too much Freewhatsyourname what was the name, the one with the jew hating drunk of an actor, Mel whats his face.

[edit: Just remembered it was Braveheart. Haha.]
Quote from Hankstar :It's strange how agile a headless chook can be - you'd swear they know you're there and are trying to avoid being caught again: "you already got my head you bastard, you'll never take me drumsticks!"

I know. head dragging on the ground. Nothing going on upstairs and yet round and round they go . . . .
Here's tonight's update.
Work on the body is now nearly complete. The rear ctrl plate has been stained and sanded to match the rear profile. The neck pocket has been routed -always a scary moment for me, but this time I'm glad to say I ended up with a really good clean rout and a nice snug fit. The holes are drilled for the controls and electrics.
Here's a mock-up with the gfs hot hex pups.

Now waiting for the Rustins plastic coating to arrive.
all this talk of guitars i maight as well join in. ive been trying to get a trmolo bar to fit my guitar (11 year old marlin sidewinder) and now found that the casting inside was smashed. i took it all to bits, and me and my dad treid to weld it with this dodgy aluminium stuff (you cant mig weld cast stuff), but it wouldnt take, so now im stuck, untilli save enough money for a floyd rose

edit: nice work all. i love instroments that have had time spent on them rarther than mass produced in a factory
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :That chicken has been watching too much Freewhatsyourname what was the name, the one with the jew hating drunk of an actor, Mel whats his face.

[edit: Just remembered it was Braveheart. Haha.]

I used to be proud he was Aussie, what with Mad Max and all. Then I learned he was actually born in the US. Well, they can have him back now
Quote from al heeley :[piktor and text heither]

Hotsmex, man that looks great. Nice work

Quote from Hankstar :
I used to be proud he was Aussie, what with Mad Max and all. Then I learned he was actually born in the US. Well, they can have him back now

A lot of his stuff seems to offend people, and they pulled the plug on some series based on the holocaust after his drunken capers. Everything after Mad Max sucked.
Quote from al heeley :Here's tonight's update.
Work on the body is now nearly complete. The rear ctrl plate has been stained and sanded to match the rear profile. The neck pocket has been routed -always a scary moment for me, but this time I'm glad to say I ended up with a really good clean rout and a nice snug fit. The holes are drilled for the controls and electrics.
Here's a mock-up with the gfs hot hex pups.
http://www.ice-files.com/alheeley/music/mojo2/mojo2h.jpg
Now waiting for the Rustins plastic coating to arrive.

Sweet. That is such a nice pattination. How are you finishing the body? Or is that it? And looking at it, it looks like you running the strings through the body. Is that a style/sound choice or a practical consideration?
#34 - do0f
I don't play guitar.. But I have one.. Make me a violin . hehe.
When I'm not playing LFS, i'm usually ripping something apart and building it again. I'm boring
Quote from Funnybear :...how are you finishing the body? Or is that it? And looking at it, it looks like you running the strings through the body. Is that a style/sound choice or a practical consideration?

Thks Bear! The body will be finished in Rustins gloss plastic coating. Its a 2-part acid-cat UF-based lacquer which gives a very hard gloss finish, brushable and cures in 30 minutes. It will have 3 or 4 coats then wet sanded to 1200 grit, finished by buffing with T-cut or similar to give a high gloss. It's about the nearest thing to a shop-sprayed gloss poly laquer you can get and still apply it in your own garage.
The string-thru body thing I believe is important for maximising tone quality and sustain, as the strings vibrations will pass directly through the bridge and the ferrules into the body of the guitar. Helps give a really warm tone.
Yea. I can see that. But I would have thought that would be more important in accoustics as with the electric you just have the electrical pickups and no tonal input. But seeing as I have not either made nore paid any particular attention to whether body fixing or surface anchors on electrics makes any difference what would I know.

You are peaking my interest though. Prehaps I have a new winter project once I get settled in my new job.
Yep I would say for acoustics, that is a VITAL consideration, for electrics it is pretty important. All sorts of things influence the tonal quality of an electric guitar, and its resonance. This works both on a physical, vibration level as well as an electrical circuit level, all an electric guitar uis really, is a basic LCR circuit that can be tuned to influence tonal quality, right through to the type and length of cable you plug into your amp with - it all has some capacitance and resistance which affects frequency response.
It surprises me how one guitar with a bolt-on neck (PRS CE22) sounds so different to one with a fixed neck like the PRS custom 22. The guitars are virtually identical in all other aspects, just the bolt-on neck gives a brighter more strat-like tone. The glued, fixed neck gives a deeper, warmer tone. Types of wood, bridges, necks, nuts used, even (some claim) the type and thickness of coating can contribute to the tone of an instrument.

Here's another one that got a bit of a face lift today. This was my first ever build, mahogany body chambered out to reduce weight and act as sounding chambers for warmer sustain. Maple top, flame figured, finished natural. It is based on a Telecaster, I've fitted 2 P-90 vintage pickups and gold hardware
Mr. Heeley...
...I salute you, that looks like a nice guitar!

(no salute-smiley found and the worship one was a little too groupie-like)

I think maybe some black hardware instead of the gold trimmings will eb the finishing touches.
Al Heeley, I'm taking my hat off for you, you're really into it as I can see and judging by the look and your knowledge of guitar building I'm sure these guitars have a brilliant sound.

I had only one project, a museum piece Vaccaro Custom guitar with V-shape head, single-double pickup layout, volume/tone pots, pickup selector and a special tone selector for extra juice.

It was a present from a well-known rockstar and producer back in the days, but god knows what happened to the guitar! It was prime quality material and electronics but it was poorly built and maintained.
The nut was too high causing the false fret to become useless, the bridge was too far back even if I turned the pegs all the way up causing it to sound out of tune all the time. And it had alot of minor bruises and loose screws.
That is why I decided to fix it up and right now, it's perfect!
Using all pickups makes it sound incredibly full and warm, almost acoustic, while using only the double pickups makes it sound like a strat wich is awesome with overdrive.
All the work and money spent was totally worth what I got back, even more because the guitar was a gift.
Nice one Sam, and thanks for your nice comments. I have never heard of your guitar but if you have a pic you can post I'd be really intersted in seeing it.
Well done on fixing it up so well
Here's a new W.I.P. from me, my take on a PRS solid body carved top guitar. It started off as a walnut slab, I've fitted it with GFS Fat Paf Zebra humbuckers and a new Wilkinson wraparound bridge/tailpiece. Excuse the knobs, it will have knurled chrome knobs like a tele when its finished Headstock will be veneered in red stained walnut to match the body.
Man, you craft some amazing work.

When I'm not playing lfs...
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG