The online racing simulator
When I'm not playing lfs...
(43 posts, started )
Here's a new guitar I'm working on. The shape is from the new Parker Fly Mojo single cut. The body is 40mm honduras mahogany (from an old fireplace we ripped out when we moved house) and it has a 5mm figured quilt maple top.

The hardware will be black hot hex humbuckers from GFS in the U.S, with a rosewood fingerboard on maple neck (replacement strat neck) with refigured headstock shape.
all sounds like japanese to me, but it looks like a worthy project
maybe my sister will understand you, she has a guitar (yamaha RZ something or other)

obviously after stating im not to knowledgable of guitars, im wondering why it looks as thought there is an extremely little central cutout; dont guitars have way more of an open area inside? or is this not going to be an acoustic guitar?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
go figure.. okay so its not going to be acoustic (see i told you i dont know much about guitars lol)

its the wood that set me off.. cant say i've seen to many electric guitars made of wood (which.. of course we are talking about me so.. i've only seen like 4 guitars my whole life lol)
-
Heh, I bet all 4 guitars you've seen have been made of wood - only some may have been finished in solid colour polyester finish or similar, rather than leave natural for the grain to show through.
Lovely Bass, Kev, love those Warwick Thumbs. thats natural oil finish on walnut or somehting similar? Beautiful!
Top-notch, Al! Any ideas for some fancy neck inlays yet? (if there are supposed to be any)

Regards,

nazzard
Pfft, you guys are amateurs. This is where it's at.

Lookin good Al. Will you be painting that or leaving that purdy wood finish as it is?
All I can think right now is Red Special.

Have you heard the comparason of his Red and the ones that are getting made? Other than the obvious age difference, they sound the same :o

Nice project though
I shall be doing the same once I get the space, time and money.

Got some lovely Mahogany which I don't need to plank so should be able to get the entire body cut from it. Did think about jointing up but I really want to avoid it if at all posible. I know good laminates are just as good but If I'm gunna do it I wanna do it right. . . .

Good project. Look foward to seeing the end result.
Here's the first mojo, just a solid mahogany body with little front contouring, it has a wasit cut on the back. Really pleased with the sounds, it's full and bassy for such a light guitar. Very confy to play.

The new Mojo#2 will be very similar but with the 5mm maple cap, same hardware but I'll ass a coil split mini switch to split the humbuckers and get a wider range of tones for lighter rhythm playing. That's the plan anyway!
You may as well split the buckers if you are making it yourself. Get as much on there as possible. Not a tremolo fan then? I love that sound, if you can play it right that is, otherwise it just sounds like your trying to find the tune the whole time.

Although my ulitimate goal is hand craft me a full accoustic. I played a wide bodied, hand made spanish import when I was shopping around for my last guitar and it sounded amazing. So deep and resonant without any loss off the top strings. That mellow sound. If I had 2 grand to spare I would have brought it there and then . . . .
Nice one Al, never knew you were such a multi-tasker :up: I'd like to hear it in action if at all possible...
So are you in a band now or just "between projects" (as I used to say when my in-laws asked if I had a job yet)

I agree with leaving off the tremolo, I can't say I'm a fan. My friends were making Strat copies (Tele copies too) for a while and they were getting really bloody good at it. They always made fixed-bridge models with mahogany, ash, maple etc and the tone was just awesome - better, I would say, than many modern Fender Strats. Did their own necks & fretting as well. Their guitars had loads of bass but had really bright top ends at the same time. They made only 7 or 8 but I played them all and I would've happily bought any one of them. I think Do0g (GPL sound meister) still has his customised Strat copy - weighs as much as a Les Paul and sounds just brilliant (I'll post a pic). The guys were just about to get into making archtops when one of them got a girlfriend and let her move in...nothing against girls, but if you knew this particular one :zombie:

Good luck with your acoustic Funnybear. The hard graft that goes into those things amazes me :up:
Quote from al heeley :Here's a new guitar I'm working on. The shape is from the new Parker Fly Mojo single cut. The body is 40mm honduras mahogany (from an old fireplace we ripped out when we moved house) and it has a 5mm figured quilt maple top.

The hardware will be black hot hex humbuckers from GFS in the U.S, with a rosewood fingerboard on maple neck (replacement strat neck) with refigured headstock shape.

I hate you. But seriously, that looks like something you find from the PRS shop, not a fireplace! Parker isnt really my style, and I'm too lazy to build my own, so I got my good old reliable Dean thats my "jewel". Woderful tone for jazz chords and soloing. Everyday playing is a naked Yamaha Pacifica. The Dean:
Man Al, your "mojos" look fantastic. I especially like the way the strings
go thru the body. Ever thought of applying to Gibson as a luthier?

Since i got addicted to semi-hollow bodies, I don't care so much for whammy bars anymore, (even though in theory I think a floyd rose could successfully be put in a 335) but I have seen a whammy bar pedal. does anyone know if those are any good?

oh and Al? If you ever decide to make one left-handed...uhh
Anyways it really looks good and the one in progress really looks like
it's going to be something cool.
Whammy pedals can be good if used properly. Dimebag from Pantera (may he Rest In Peace ) was a great exponent of the Digitech Whammy 2 pedal, for example. The guitarist from my band uses a Whammy 2 to pretty good effect in one of our songs. Click this and listen to "on my way" - you can hear the Whammy in the intro as well as in the middle section. "Both hands" is another of the band's songs and the rest on that list are my crappy PC dance hits (Fruity Loops rulez)
Am I the only one who came into this thread expecting something very different to guitars?

Very nice guitar anyways Al, looks very good.
The thing about accoustic buidling is the sound is sooooo dependant on your sound box shape and structure. Get it wrong and you completly change the sound your going for. I'm sure there is a lot of science that goes into making good boxes. And seeing as how I'm sat on my derriere today not being able top leave my little box of depression that is called stage door I might just learn something about it.

Good 'ol T'internet.
A couple of months ago I went on a day's guitar setup course with patrick Eggle, very gifted luthier and all round nice guy. He's now back in the uk concentrating a new business of exclusively acoustic-builds.
He's offering a 4-week master course next summer, building your own acoustic guitar to a very high spec using all his workshop facilities and years of experience. Wish I had the time and the money to go along, would be a fascinating summer project.
Time and money. It always comes down to that don't it.

I'm supposed to be recording atm but neither me nor my studio partner can find the time. And it's something I really want to do.

Hold on. Stop press. Text just in. we're good to go on friday. Whooo. Friday recording session. How's that for synchronicity.
-
#19 - CSU1
When I'm not playing I'm chocking my chicken'
Quote from CSU1 :When I'm not playing I'm chocking my chicken'

you can type and do that at the same time!!!!
you must have a forearm like popeye!
#21 - CSU1
Quote from mrfell :you can type and do that at the same time!!!!
you must have a forearm like popeye!

I can use it to type aswell
mad.

Heres me think they are the same thing

When someone invents a device for the PC that will do that, no men will leave the house XD
#23 - CSU1
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Heres me think they are the same thing

When someone invents a device for the PC that will do that, no men will leave the house XD

Why invent a new device, what we need is an add on for DFP lol'
We could call it the DFPP "Drive force pleasure pro"

is that when you put a brick under each leg?

Or did you mean Choking?

My dad used to do that. . . . . .

Every year. He would kill all our chickens then leave them in the garage to hang. They would flap for ages. And it's true, you can do the deed and they will carry on running around until they hit somehting and fall over . . .
#25 - CSU1
Quote from Funnybear :is that when you put a brick under each leg?

Or did you mean Choking?

My dad used to do that. . . . . .

Every year. He would kill all our chickens then leave them in the garage to hang. They would flap for ages. And it's true, you can do the deed and they will carry on running around until they hit somehting and fall over . . .

Bricks under legs! Is that some kinky sh*t
"CHOKING" Thats the one

(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG