The online racing simulator
#1 - McWer
Tips and sugestion for noob
Hi,
Really enjoy Formula E competition despite driving in the back.
I have some questions regarding how formula E regeneration and how to best set up the formula for race and qualification.
1)Dos brake bias change regeneration if set more to the back?
2)Can you give suggestion how to correct set up race setup, for can I reduce top speed and get better acceleration? I have 0 knowledge how to LFS setups works.
3)Any tips how to correctly brake for better regeneration, do I need to brake hard, but not lock or brake evenly.

Any advice for beginner how to drive Formula E would be appreciated.
I'm not a great driver at all but, maybe one or two of my thoughts are useful.

1) In theory it is true that more rearward braking could help regeneration but it's dangerous to set bias too far to the rear as you may lock up the rear and spin. It's important to have good brakes and a little to spare in case you brake late.

2) I believe it can be a good idea to adjust the gear ratio to improve acceleration, if you do not run out of top speed - this may depend on the track.

3) In the latest test patch there is a display that can help understand this. An EV charge/discharge power bar in place of the clutch bar (visible if Options - View - Show pedals is enabled). I find that if you brake very hard at high speed, that can be wasteful as the recharging is maxed out (blue bar reaches the top). Further rear braking at that point is done by the discs (total energy loss) So to get the best recharge it may be better to brake a little earlier, not so hard (blue bar just below maximum). But as your speed reduces you can apply more brake without exceeding maximum charge rate.

It is a complex system so even as programmer of the game, my assumptions and observations may miss some relevant points. I think it is about compromises and you need to find a trade-off between fast laps and energy saving. For example there's no point getting better regeneration if it means you will be doing slow laps.
Quote from McWer :Hi,
Really enjoy Formula E competition despite driving in the back.
I have some questions regarding how formula E regeneration and how to best set up the formula for race and qualification.
2)Can you give suggestion how to correct set up race setup, for can I reduce top speed and get better acceleration? I have 0 knowledge how to LFS setups works.
3)Any tips how to correctly brake for better regeneration, do I need to brake hard, but not lock or brake evenly.

Any advice for beginner how to drive Formula E would be appreciated.

Hello, as a fellow new guy to this (did one race) i can try to help you with some answers, seeing as no one else step in.

Brake bias if set to rear will mean you can regenerate more. In theory it makes sense as long as you're not regenerating to the maximum and then just using discs. Would be better then to just use front discs, so less rearward bias. The gray bar that shows charging will help you setting up your best compromise. Remember that stronger brakes in car setup will give more recharge, and also remember that you can recharge more at higher speeds.

I think that as long as the car can accelerate well into the long straight you're ok, as long as you dont limit the speed with gears. Its electric motor, so not that much bothered by the revs.

If you lock up, you dont regenerate at all. So dont lock up.

Your questions were about brake regeneration. But i think with this car, regeneration isnt worth it that much...it is FASTER overall to just lift and coast, and as for the car, generally try to have the fastest car possible, and that means the best brakes possible. So forget about regeneration, do few laps and try to find the limit with the car, i think fastest way will be to just lift and coast, then brake as hard as you can, as late as you can.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG