The online racing simulator
Scawen's new style of progress reports
(102 posts, closed, started )
Quote from lulu10 :Mouse and keyboard pilot has certain limits, as the throttle, brake and handbrake response time by default is 200ms, masters of timings.

? 200 ms ?
-
Question to @Scawen (superlame) DELETED by superlame : top 10 mistakes ever made. 1. i editted this post instead of posting a new one. now im writing a new one with both comments combined, hope scawen or eric answers.
My original post from 31 October that I editted by mistake.

Quote from Scawen :It feels like I'm getting near the end of the multithreading conversion.

Now that the multithreading conversion is done, will we see more background progress like the one you made, but from Eric? Also what is going on with the tyre physics? Big grin

Thanks.

End of the original post, Now this is my second question regards the newest post from Scawen's diary

Quote from Scawen :Now that multithreading is basically done, I'll stop reporting daily progress and go back to a more normal style. I hope to report more regularly than in the past, as I know the reports are interesting for some people and the use of a closed thread has allowed me to make unofficial reports without them becoming a distraction.

I want to ask about the blue tone dashboard. Is it blue because you have the headlights on at night, or you just turned the "Clock Text Colour" from Options -> Display to a bit blue tone.

Thanks
It would be great if a similar style of reports would be not only for Multithreading topic. Later it could be combined into reports in the style as it was done before. But i guess no.
Btw, Multithreading was one of the last things left to do? Is there still something left to finish the update for a testing stage?
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :It would be great if a similar style of reports would be not only for Multithreading topic. Later it could be combined into reports in the style as it was done before. But i guess no.
Btw, Multithreading was one of the last things left to do? Is there still something left to finish the update for a testing stage?

physics my dear !
These reports have been great and shows how busy Scawen is!
Multithreading became a necessity to switch to 1000Hz 1ms physic steps. Even if the tire model remained the same it would absolutely remove the tearing or micro stutter at whatever frame rate. In some case like 60 o 90 fps VR it will be perfect whatever point of view. 60fps screen are still common and will get butter smooth now.
Anyway I have no idea about tire physic progress and I wish Scawen the best because it is a killer project!
Quote from Flotch :physics my dear !

Quote from loopingz :Multithreading became a necessity to switch to 1000Hz

Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the feeling that physics with 1000Hz was ready, and multithreading was the last thing that needed to be done. Because Scawen said that he needed to optimize the code so that physics would work well on 1000Hz and that's what multithreading was needed for. it just wasn't optimized, now it seems to have been optimized. That's why I'm asking what's next. I thought that maybe I need to finish something in the graphics that i missed.
Or is tire physics a separate topic in which devs need to work?
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :...
Or is tire physics a separate topic in which devs need to work?

=> indeed, as far as we know
Going for 1000Hz and multithreading is a very good move for plenty of aspects, but having the tire physics (and maybe other things related to physics aswell) is a different topic on the list !
With SW development you usually need same time to finish the remaining 20% of work (small fixes, polish) after being done with 80% of it.

(yes, I know this makes no sense mathematically and makes it look like joke, but life of programmer is quite often one big joke, it's hard to explain until you try it yourself for couple of years... Big grin )
I liked this one Tilt
"- fixed start time of training lessons which were always at midnight on 1 January 1601"

It's always nice when developers are sharing funny "bloopers" instead of going "fixed an incorrect date"
as far as i understand, all these new changes are done in development version of LFS which has "new phyiscs" built in and there's no way to release it without tire physics revamp.

So presumably there is still quite big chunk of work before it gets anyway close to release of patch. Depends on how far down the physics rabbit hole Scawen will go i guess.
Same understanding! I just hope the new physic doesn't get into a dead end.
Quote from loopingz :Same understanding! I just hope the new physic doesn't get into a dead end.

Well, I think it was a dead end at some point... but this time Scawen is inspired and determined to "undead end it". Big grin
Quote from NumberTwo :Depends on how far down the physics rabbit hole Scawen will go i guess.

I think the rabbit hole is 12 years deep so far, so a few more months tis but a scratch on the surface.
Smile
Quote from auch_enne :
And to the community, I was wondering if we could chip in together and give Scawen an modern pc Wink Seeing as he is still on some old duo core system with a 60 hz monitor Did I Say That?

a glimpse of hope for my 2 core 2 thread beast of a laptop Petals
Quote from UniValvePlums :a glimpse of hope for my 2 core 2 thread beast of a laptop Petals

Please don't have much hope. Only chance would be if it had a superior dedicated mobile graphic card back at the time. It will be for sure much faster limited by the graphic card than the CPU.
The graphics also have improved from the current version. Even when most new effects could be turned off the maps have more details, better textures, are bigger...
Oh I remember the topic where Scawen explained how GPU can be utilized for generating sound echoes. That was amazing and I thought how good would it be if devs will keep share some of such educational info with us.

I'm a bit late here, but I had to say what I was going to say long time ago: Thank you, Scawen, for sharing progress in that way!
No more weeklies it seems Frown
I've got some stuff written here to mention, but thought I had said they won't be so regular?

I've been interacting with the community over here:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/101752-Question-about-a-few-new-layout-objects

To be fair to me, it would be fairly hard to progress with the code if I became a full time progress blogger. Sometimes I just have to focus on what I'm doing otherwise the lists grow faster than I can cross things off them! Schwitz

Unsubscribing again, please do not expect replies! Smile
I appreciate you taking the time reply and also understand. Thank you.

I guess I wanted to share my "pain", as I very much enjoyed reading what you have been up to Smile. Good luck and will look forward to the next post, whenever it may be.
Thank you, Scawen and Eric.I wish you happy holidays!LFS
Merry Christmas report! Thumbs up
Happy holidays everyone Smile

Regarding the night image of Fern Bay I was actually wondering if the whole track would be illuminated or just parts of it. It would be cool if the tracks were different in that regard (or via setting ingame?). I mean the Nordschleife is only partially lit, while Singapur (F1) is the opposite.

Or maybe Scawen / Eric could shed some light on this matter? Wink
Scawen, i would love if this forum would have a reaction button, I would give heart emojis to all of your update posts (I know, the reaction thing sounds so millenial but i'm just honestly geeking about on how great the night photos look). The night shots of FernBay look absolutely STUNNING. Ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa, it's so good!
Happy Christmas and end of year holidays guys, you rock !
Nice reading as always, and glad there is some time spent on Fern Bay ! Even if not 2.0 already, the touch brought look indeed very nice, and seeing it under night : Heart
LFS
Happy Christmas from me too! Looking forward for 2023, which I hope to be the one! Heart LFS

The Fern Bay graphics settings be like:

Mesh Quality: Very Low
Geometry Quality: Very Low
Textures Resolution: Very Low
Shadows Quality: Ultra
Lighting Quality: Ultra

Big grin
This thread is closed

Scawen's new style of progress reports
(102 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG