The online racing simulator
LFS is the result of a passionate small team.

And this is perceived in every aspect.

Physics stand out.
Cars behave differently. You can feel that.
Sound is synthesized and this is GOOD.
Force feedback is not gamish but near reality.
And the list can go on for ever

It is not a game, but it can be used also as a game !

So a good way to express lfs in your video, should contain the message

"Save your lives, learn to drive, in a simulator"

Greetings
Please correct me if I am wrong, but can a car and a motorbike compete on the same track in other sims?
when the LFS in steam
The day the LFS will be on Steam, this game will have lost its soul and much of what makes it unique and so great. LFS is more than a game. Its a human adventure, a model of independence and freedom. On Steam, LFS would become a commercial product among others. LFS is much more than that.
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :The day the LFS will be on Steam, this game will have lost its soul and much of what makes it unique and so great. LFS is more than a game. Its a human adventure, a model of independence and freedom. On Steam, LFS would become a commercial product among others. LFS is much more than that.

+1. Who needs Steam when you got tyre smoke!
Not sure if already mentioned but the feature that i like in LFS that is/was not so easily used/available in the other sims is the Chat feature. Its been a while since i've been on AC or Pcars but the last time i had used them, i had to download an app to get a semi decent chat feature in-game
Quote from Motordirex :+1. Who needs Steam when you got tyre smoke!

Many other games have had tire smoke for more than 15 years (you can find them on Steam for a few euros). But with LFS, sometimes I feel like I'm breathing in the smell of the burned tire. No other game has ever done this to me...
I think LFS should be on Steam. Nothing else needs to change - it doesn't mean LFS will lost it's soul. After the graphics update of course. On the contrary - I think it will be one of those games/sims with overwhelming positive reviews. Especially with the mods support now and the track editor later.
I agree to wait for the graphics update and the track editor. With a little luck I would have died before. I'd rather gouging my eyes out with a tire remover than install Steam to play LFS.

To come back to the subject, one of the many things I find extraordinary with LFS is that you don't have to install 40 GB of useless stuff or be online to play it, not be attacked by ads, don't wait for endless updates before you can play... I also like being able to have multiple versions of the game installed on my computers, do a bit like I want and feel like I'm free. But everyone can have their opinion Big grin
Limited number of tracks, outdated graphics, awesome mod support system, very close community, a gateway to online friends for me personally ever since 2003! Smile
LFS is the result of 20 years of hard work and constant improvement. What current games can compete with that?
The graphics are a bit dated. It's true. But if we compare them to games of the same generation they are very good. The lights are wonderful. And what current games would run equally well on computers over 10 years old?

In its current version, LFS is a historical monument. LFS has achieved the miracle of bringing together several generations of players with very differents aspirations. Kids looking for fun online and nostalgic, reactionary old bears like me, playing alone against the AI.
We criticize everything in LFS. Especially the AI. But the AI of LFS has the merit of... existing. Some very expensive games don't even have AI.
If the LFS AI can be improved (everything can be improved) it remains playable and fun under certain conditions (Level 5, maximum 26 AI to limit pileups, default setup, always start last. Do races of 10 laps maximum to have a small chance of not finishing first...)
What the LFS has that other games don't is that it is popular, intergenerational, multicultural, accessible and democratic.
The LFS is also human and alive. You can jostle Scawen at any time to see if he's still moving. All games have their communities of players but how many have this longevity? That kind of closeness?

When I tested the first playable version of LFS almost 20 years ago, I thought to myself that LFS would outperform all current games. We will not rewrite history. But I sincerely believe that time will prove LFS right.

As extraordinary as the technical qualities of the games of the future are, I am not sure that the future will give us something as rare and valuable as LFS.
amazingly eloquent reply Avraham. indeed you are right.
Thanks George. As you have noticed, I express myself badly in English. I'm glad someone understands me.

I stopped playing other games too long ago to say precisely (technically) what other games have now copied over LFS. What I do know is that at the time of its first release, LFS had a huge lead on all counts except licensing (for official tracks and real cars). The lack of modding also hurt.
LFS remains a game of the future because it gets straight to the point, with no frills. Even with its current physics and graphics, LFS remains the shortest and cheapest path to exceptional driving sensations. LFS also allows you to play in good conditions for almost nothing (multi-screen with an old computer and the force feedback remains very good with an entry-level steering wheel). Then there are other flashier games. But you have to play with Steam and/or pay monthly subscriptions. It's a choice. My choice is LFS.
It may be interesting to know who are the players of LFS to make understand the interest of the game to a new audience?

Good video.
A FWD engine. Most other games use a RWD engine with a FWD skin dropped over it, and weight redistribution is used to make a very gamey feel.
-
(Kahn62) DELETED by Kahn62 : Accidental double post
Multipoint tyre contact sampling. Most games only sample the tyre contact point at one spot, in the middle of the tyre. When you go onto a painted area, or ripple strip, the surface goes from full on bitumen, to full on ripple strip material, in an instant. This appears to have a gradient transitioning from one to the other, which is quite rare, and most appealing.
P.S. You notice this, when your wheel goes onto a slippery area, like grass,and your power stays on, because you have full traction at this point. When you transition from bitumen to grass, the tyre loses ALL grip in a split second, which causes this tyre to spin, from losing traction, which causes it to stop pushing your car forward. Then the other tyre, with full traction, causes the car to rotate the direction opposite to itself, and drives you into the wall for no aparent reason. Very annoying especially in A**#!@. (Can I use that word here, lol.)
valid points about the FWD engine and the tyre modelling.
been driving RWD cars in other sims for an entire year so that FWD XFG is giving me lots of trouble. I am stuck at 1:36 at blackwood so far.
There's something with the physics that makes me feel more connected to the road. It may be because LFS is the game I played the most when I got my G27, so it has always been the "gold standard" for me. Or it may be because the LFS physics are just best overall. But when I play LFS, I can feel the road much better than I can on any other racing game. Even though I haven't played LFS for many years now, as soon as I fired it up I felt the LFS physics in my hands as it was yesterday.

This is probably because LFS is quite a few years old, but it's less resource demanding than a lot of other games. I don't have my PC fans spinning up like crazy when I load in the game, and it's nice for once to hear the engine sound over the PC fans. I can run this game on my Macbook Air from 2014.

I like that the engine noise is generated in real-time based on throttle and engine load, exhaust system etc.
Play any other game where the noises sounds are recorded, for example NFS Shift, and hear the engine noises overlapping as the RPM increases, which sounds horrible. Another example is The Long Drive. Listen to the engine when it's idling, and you'll quickly get annoyed by the same 1 second recording looping again and again.
LFS doesn't have this annoyance when every cylinder firing sounds slightly unique.

This is not unique to LFS, I know other games has that too. But it's definitely worth mentioning. Using dedicated servers, rather than this P2P crap that a lot of other games are using. A server system is more cheat resistant, so we don't have the problem where anyone who joins the server can just explode everyone or put everyone in cages. Everyone who have played GTA Online on PC will understand.

And being able to create your own car skin, and have everyone else see it on your car, that's something I haven't seen in other games!
Quote from G.Metzo :Hi guys.

I want to make a youtube video about LFS in 2022 , a deep dive if you will, taking a look at the sim , scrutinizing every little aspect of it and trying to get more people to try and play the sim.

I think LFS is absolutely fantastic and even my friend who hasn't played race sims before except a little assetto corsa at my house , praised its physics , its looks and sounds ( for a game that released in 2003 ) and its simplicity , in the sense that you don't have to go through sh@tty convoluted UI elements to grab a car and a track and race or to properly setup your controls etc.

Back to the title now.

My question is what things are present in LFS that are not in other sims?

For example I know that LFS has tyre deformation and that rFactor 2 has tyre deformation too , but almost every other sim like Assetto , iRacing , Raceroom , etc. does not.

What else important or unimportant is present in LFS and is lacking in other sims?

Anything that comes to mind is very welcome as I want to showcase as many of these things as possible.

- George

personality
The main thing would be the physics. Especially compared to Assetto Corsa which gets so much praise.

Having tried to make my own little crappy car game, I've at least picked up on a few things about car physics programming. And there are some things about Assetto Corsa that are questionable. For example. There is no potential energy in the flywheel (Just one easy example). Programming wise I understand why that is. Chain reactions are hard to wrap your head around.

However, chain reactions are important to make a realistic simulation. And LFS nail them down so well. Anything from drivetrain to suspension and tires are executed perfectly, and they work together with no shortcuts to be found. That is the thing LFS have which most other sims don't have. At least in the case of Assetto Corsa, many shortcuts have been taken.

On top of this, LFS have been this good for 15 years.

But as others have pointed out, I also like the idea of the generated engine sounds which naturally conform to the engine configuration.

I like the idea of a personalized livery database.

I like the server system. It has that sort of classic online game feeling to it, with the green chat text. Reminds me of games like Quake Live.
Quote from LiveForBoobs :Intuitive, clean and user-friendly Graphic User Interface.

Agree with you on that one, also love your LFS Name Big grin

From what i've experienced also, i've not experienced a sim where the Devs listen and are as in touch with its community
Along with everything said above which I agree, don't forget realtime head turning of the opponent to wish you some nice things!😄
If you do a video, do something no one does... Show that LFS still has life in it.

Dont show a race versus bots, or a demo race. Show how a real LFS race looks like, join MRc FBM Saturday, RTFR or two of FM's showcases, to show that LFS, after all these years, can still provide racing on a high. It is that where LFS excells after all, even though many seem to forget that. But racing versus another person deletes all tracks, mods, graphics, sounds, UI, garage screens shit.... its just you vs that one guy, and its where LFS delivers the best.
or you can always show semaforo on a cruise server and two guys with "private mods" doing a launch in a cars that cant really take a turn because they are not optimized.
Quote from NumberTwo :or you can always show semaforo on a cruise server and two guys with "private mods" doing a launch in a cars that cant really take a turn because they are not optimized.

Or show crocodile vs burger car vs antivax drag race and tell them this is "The online racing simulator"

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG