Cars we don't drive?
(122 posts, started )
Any FWD car with 250+ bhp can do burnouts without even trying!
true lol.
I'll drive whatever is raced with preferably over 4 people on a server.

I do however keep having problems with RWD cars, because I oversteer like hell. I don't believe I've ever been able to control a RWD car for 5 laps without looking back on the track at least once

I do like the MRT and FOX though and can control these reasonably even if I'm not really fast. The FOX just needs a completely different driving style then e.g. XFG which I like.

I still need to just try out more on the RWD cars. Did have a go at both LX6 and LX4 and kinda liked the LX4, but it was a really understeering setup so taking corners was a biatch.

I just do not have a lot of time to play and then sticking with a more comfortable car (usually FWD or 4WD) because it suits my driving style better, makes it more fun for me to race them. I'm at least a bit competetive and will be less of a trouble to other people on the server because I've better car control.

That said, I'll still race in any car that is being used when I'm online having fun whatever I drive anyway
#79 - Tomi
Quote from Nick_ll :If I remember correctly, FWD was invented by a french engineer, and it is used because it is safer, because for most drivers on the road, understeer is easier to control than oversteer (because for one thing the average driver sucks).

RWD is seen as more "logical" because it allows for a better, more even weight distribution. That is better, in particular for racecars as it allows for a more even tire wear. Now that doesn't say FWD is no fun to drive at all, but I do believe RWD is more fun personally.

It was not invented because it is safer. It was invented because it saves a lot of space compared to the conventionnal front engined rwd car.

After WWII, people in europe needed small and affordable cars, which would still have enough space for whole family. To gain space, they needed to get ride of that huge transmission axle. Two solutions became popular : the FWD solution, keeping the engine in the front, and the Rear engine / RWD solution while the traditionnal Front Engined RWD solution was still used for bigger cars. The RWD solution became more widespread in the early years (50's) because it was easier to do and more reliable (no cardan) though the FWD solution had its supporter in the name of Citroen and Panhard who made it popular. They were soon relayed by the Austin Mini. It soon became evident to everybody that the Rear Engined RWD solution was a great solution for economic yet sporty cars (Renault 4CV and Dauphine 1093, Alpine A110, NSU TT, Hillman Imp, Fiat 500 Abarth, DB Djet) because of a better traction and better reliability with more powerfull engines. But these cars were less comfortable and more touchy to drive, especially at high speed because of a very light front end. The RWD Rear Engined solution was also less practical when a car had to be derived in a station-wagon version. Peugeot and Renault followed the Citroen path and progressively switched to FWD during the 60-70's. Other manufacturers did the switch a bit later (starting with the little cars), mostly in late 70's early 80's.
We should call you Mr Google.
Or Tomipedia.
#81 - orre
IMO then only boring car in LFs is BF1 and might FZ50
Quote from orre :IMO then only boring car in LFs is BF1 and might FZ50

How on earth can you say the FZ50 is boring? illepall

Dan,
Cos maybe it's his opinion? No matter how strongly you may disagree, he has the right to his own opinion.
Yeah, and a forum would be a great place if everyone had the same opinion.

My point to him was, and I should have put it differently was this,

The FZ50 is a VERY fun car, with the right track and setup, maybe he hasnt given it enough time, or just doesnt have the required skills to drive it?.

Dan,
Quote from Gunn :Oh but I don't enjoy FWD cars. So your argument confirms my choice as valid. FWD is simply inferior, not my fault, I didn't design them. I've been driving for 25 years so I think by now I know what I like. I don't need other people to tell me how to feel about it, but thanks for the offer.

Quote from myself : Gunn: You dont like FWD cars then you miss alot of fun. And dont come up with this argument: fwd for woman rwd for men lol - 4 rly who cares as long as you enjoy the stuff you do o what?

i meaned what you said...as long as you enjoy only rwd i dont care. But still you miss some nice action even if you have been driven now for 25 years but whatever its your choise And if it sounds like id like to tell you what to do i can only say: damn language barriers
Quote from alland44 :Tell us why !?

I`m a little fed up with these RWD guru`s, which only can drive the RWD`s

It`s like someones, want to pinpoint an elite - The RWD drivers, and all of the others, the lowlife FDW racers !?

And it seems like the FWD drivers are more likely to accept a race with RWD involved, but RWD racers can`t even think of driving the RWD cars. Allways this comment "I don`t drive RWD cars"

Sorry I jumped you in this matter - Just one to many sacred RWD drivers picking on the mob.

EDIT :

By the way - I don`t enjoy RWD cars, because they are so hard to handle - But I don`t give them up. That`s the difference.

theres some truth in it...reminds me on the good old Oval vs. Road Track Conversation There are ppl that love only RWD and ppl that only love FWD. But, there are ppl that like both. And there are even ppl who cant make a choise and some guys think RWD are for mens only and FWD is for woman. I had a lot of disscusions about that and those who cant make a choise may think this "RWD are for mens only and FWD is for woman" - Statement is true. But who cares, i dont and they miss something (maybe alot in many ways) thats for sure.
#87 - SamH
Isn't it the coolest thing, that we can talk about all of these different types of cars, and all their different handling characteristics, and all the things we like and dislike about each, without ever needing to venture out of talking about LFS?

It just strikes me that LFS caters for so many of us on such a personal level. How kewl is that?
Quote from orre :IMO then only boring car in LFs is BF1 and might FZ50

Turn off TractionControl
Quote from 510N3D :theres some truth in it...reminds me on the good old Oval vs. Road Track Conversation There are ppl that love only RWD and ppl that only love FWD. But, there are ppl that like both. And there are even ppl who cant make a choise and some guys think RWD are for mens only and FWD is for woman. I had a lot of disscusions about that and those who cant make a choise may think this "RWD are for mens only and FWD is for woman" - Statement is true. But who cares, i dont and they miss something (maybe alot in many ways) thats for sure.

I just love this :
...We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too....

I have only one more thing to say in this thread :

"Ich bin ein Berliner"

EDIT :
And guys, and one girl. Think about what I just said !
Quote :...think about what I just said...

What, the sleepy, I'm bored bit?
Quote from al heeley :What, the sleepy, I'm bored bit?

Muhaha !

You`re awake ! I`ll give you that.
Try once more, and learn from JFK !

He was a clever man.

(Shit, I wouldn`t write more ?)
This message of defiance was aimed as much at the Soviets as it was at Berliners, and was a clear statement of U.S. policy in the wake of the construction of the Berlin Wall. However, Kennedy was criticized for making a speech that acknowledged Berlin's status quo as reality. The official status of Berlin at the time was that it was under joint occupation by the four Allied powers, each with primary responsiblity for a certain zone. Up to this point the U.S. had asserted that this was its status, even though the actual situation was far different. Kennedy's speech marked the first instance where the U.S. acknowledged that East Berlin was part of the Soviet bloc along with the rest of East Germany. The critics felt that Kennedy had given up the moral high ground and given in to Soviet pressure and that he needed to be more idealistic, and that the Soviets did not have the power to change the legal situation solely with bulldozers and guns.
Isn't Wikepedia great? Isn't this now totally irrelevant to the LFS forum?
Quote from al heeley :This message of defiance was aimed as much at the Soviets as it was at Berliners, and was a clear statement of U.S. policy in the wake of the construction of the Berlin Wall. However, Kennedy was criticized for making a speech that acknowledged Berlin's status quo as reality. The official status of Berlin at the time was that it was under joint occupation by the four Allied powers, each with primary responsiblity for a certain zone. Up to this point the U.S. had asserted that this was its status, even though the actual situation was far different. Kennedy's speech marked the first instance where the U.S. acknowledged that East Berlin was part of the Soviet bloc along with the rest of East Germany. The critics felt that Kennedy had given up the moral high ground and given in to Soviet pressure and that he needed to be more idealistic, and that the Soviets did not have the power to change the legal situation solely with bulldozers and guns.
Isn't Wikepedia great? Isn't this now totally irrelevant to the LFS forum?

Yeahh !

East meet west - FWD meets RWD - Who cares !
I`m a jerk
Quote from alliennas :
My point is: do we really need such cars like XR GT, LX4 ?

Yes.

Why delete existing cars?
I mean why is the LX8 removed...?
I don't get the point of getting rid of cars...
If it's gone you'll miss them...
Originally Posted by alliennas
My point is: do we really need such cars like XR GT, LX4 ?

Quote from BlakjeKaas :Yes.

Why delete existing cars?
I mean why is the LX8 removed...?
I don't get the point of getting rid of cars...
If it's gone you'll miss them...

uhm no? Removing a Classic Car, XR GT, also a Demo Car would be lame.

Both cars are, in a way cars to learn and get skills for the big brothers, XRT and LX6 or am i wrong? They helped me alot to get a clue how to drive a RWD Biatch with a Turbo
The FO8 is by far my favorite ride.
There is a beauty that RWDs exhibit that FWDs simply cannot. There is soul in the way they rotate. A Motown funk. A stink, that you either get or don't get. Like Stevie Wonder. He got some stink. No matter how hard they try, others just plain got no stink. The reason RWDs rotate like they do is because you can only ask two wheels to do so much. Braking, steering, *and* accelerating? Pffft! FWD is driving with two wheels. Drive the car. Don't follow it. And when I say drive, I mean put some stink on it. Like the keys in the intro of Superstitious. Lift to get rotation at entry. Squeeze to get rotation at the control phase of the turn. Squeeze more and release, like an orgasm, to exit on the edge of disaster. The corner is not the only one. The lap is not the only one. The entire race is one continuous motion. Unhaltingly grooving with the very fiber of your being. An extention of your true spirit. An expression of the non-linear chaotic state that is nature in all it's glorious unpredictablility. Pure destiny. You cast yourself into it and when the groove is right, the voice comes naturally. It springs forth from the wells of eternity. From the depths of your soul and all souls before you. It manifests as celebration. Glee in moving with the ebb of the universe. It is known by all in it's truth. The beauty of motion. Of flow. Of human recognition in gravity, and our natural instincts to explore and conquer. We master by sheer will. The will of the engineers, the will of gravity, and the will of the driver.

FWD aint got no stink, brudda.

"Very superstitious... writings on the wall... "
Eh ow eh ehh oww ooowadaaa, eh ow eh oh oh OH OH!

With FEELING!

[PS I live in the snow. Once you know how to work it, RWD is soooooo much more effective and safe than FWD. The car will simply do more things to change direction. FWD scares the pickles out of me in all conditions. It simply does not work as a car should. Of course, in the snow, AWD is kinda nice. But still don't got the stink.]
Quote from Slartibartfast :There is a beauty that RWDs exhibit that FWDs simply cannot. There is soul in the way they rotate. A Motown funk. A stink, that you either get or don't get. Like Stevie Wonder. He got some stink. No matter how hard they try, others just plain got no stink. The reason RWDs rotate like they do is because you can only ask two wheels to do so much. Braking, steering, *and* accelerating? Pffft! FWD is driving with two wheels. Drive the car. Don't follow it. And when I say drive, I mean put some stink on it. Like the keys in the intro of Superstitious. Lift to get rotation at entry. Squeeze to get rotation at the control phase of the turn. Squeeze more and release, like an orgasm, to exit on the edge of disaster. The corner is not the only one. The lap is not the only one. The entire race is one continuous motion. Unhaltingly grooving with the very fiber of your being. An extention of your true spirit. An expression of the non-linear chaotic state that is nature in all it's glorious unpredictablility. Pure destiny. You cast yourself into it and when the groove is right, the voice comes naturally. It springs forth from the wells of eternity. From the depths of your soul and all souls before you. It manifests as celebration. Glee in moving with the ebb of the universe. It is known by all in it's truth. The beauty of motion. Of flow. Of human recognition in gravity, and our natural instincts to explore and conquer. We master by sheer will. The will of the engineers, the will of gravity, and the will of the driver.

FWD aint got no stink, brudda.

"Very superstitious... writings on the wall... "
Eh ow eh ehh oww ooowadaaa, eh ow eh oh oh OH OH!

With FEELING!

[PS I live in the snow. Once you know how to work it, RWD is soooooo much more effective and safe than FWD. The car will simply do more things to change direction. FWD scares the pickles out of me in all conditions. It simply does not work as a car should. Of course, in the snow, AWD is kinda nice. But still don't got the stink.]

Hmmmm

I love soul, and I really like funk, but I can`t recall those feelings, driving the RWD`s. For me it`s more like the end of the world music, Titanic, earthquakes, and big comets ending life on earth. There is no music for this kind of feeling.

Xfg should be the easiest car to drive, of the RWD`s. I drove it yesterday on Aston north rev - A track I know reasonably. It took me 15 minutes, to beat my own uf1000 pb on that track
(OK - I am a bit fast on north with uf1000, but ... ??)

I did some more laps, trying my best, but I ended up 10 seconds behind the leading times !? (It was a qualifying session)

So I would call RWD : "The blues" and a bad bad blues

Cars we don't drive?
(122 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG