The online racing simulator
New Version 0.7A - Mods Support
(173 posts, closed, started )
Quote from JJ2478 : list of installed mods should be laid out better

Ingame a sorting column would be very nice.
Listing the mods by weight, power, drive (awd,fwd,rwd), etc.
Quote from Paprika6 :Ingame a sorting column would be very nice.
Listing the mods by weight, power, drive (awd,fwd,rwd), etc.

Agreed. Or even just something similar to how the default cars are displayed with pictures.
Oh Bummer, there goes my 7 dedicated servers, Long live LFS.nz
Awesome update, thanks a lot!

The only heavy downside (for me personal) is the removed LAN support.
Since the beginning of LFS I play a lot via LAN with my brother (both S3 licensed). Old school bringing my desktop to his place and connecting our computers to his local network. His internet line is too bad for online racing (gaming in general). I hope LAN will be implemented again.

Edit: Maybe it's an idea to unlock the LAN option for S1/S2/S3 users only?

Happy Holidays!
A milestone for LFS, although it will be interesting to see what will happen to the interest in racing vanilla cars.

I gotta say, the integrated mod system is the best I've seen so far in racing games. Late to the party, but job done right Smile
Thanks for the feedback! Smile

Quote from Swivel :Oh Bummer, there goes my 7 dedicated servers, Long live LFS.nz

I'd be interested to hear if you get low ping to the Australian servers.

Quote from Vultureke :The only heavy downside (for me personal) is the removed LAN support.
Since the beginning of LFS I play a lot via LAN with my brother (both S3 licensed). Old school bringing my desktop to his place and connecting our computers to his local network. His internet line is too bad for online racing (gaming in general). I hope LAN will be implemented again.

Hi, we can't implement a LAN option at all, because that would mean we are giving out server code, and the pirates would then be free to continue to bring LFS development to an end. Partly because of piracy, before this update it was becoming a non-viable business. So we had to make that tough decision to do all the hosting ourselves.

I hope your brother will get a reasonable connection to our good servers in the Netherlands. You can start a two player server with a few clicks and I'd be interested to know how it goes.
It struck me as odd decision to prevent your own hosting. Then I remembered that you're an indie company so you need all the money you can get, so I figured being extra tight on piracy is fine. But then I realized that your monetization policy was to one-time charge for content packs, that's obviously an unsustainable approach for a game that's meant to exist for more than a year. So it makes complete sense that you'd try to take money from online players who are still playing. Again, you need that money and your current monetization model only profits off of new players, not sustained audience, and it's not like you can exactly just change one-time payments to annual subscriptions. So I guess having exclusive ability to host online servers and charging for access to them works well in lieu of having a game subscription. Calling it anti-piracy measure was basically just so that no one thinks it was a scummy move, wasn't it? Big grin It's not like you're nickel&diming like EA. Just be sure to make the server package downloadable when your company goes out, otherwise it'll become impossible to play online a perfectly good game.
Oh well, we will try this new server option. Thanks anyway for implementing something to host our own 'home server'.

I hope LFS will keep growing. After 20 years it's about time that this hidden gem reveals it's true powers Smile
Quote from raidho36 :It struck me as odd decision to prevent your own hosting. Then I remembered that you're an indie company so you need all the money you can get, so I figured being extra tight on piracy is fine. But then I realized that your monetization policy was to one-time charge for content packs, that's obviously an unsustainable approach for a game that's meant to exist for more than a year. So it makes complete sense that you'd try to take money from online players who are still playing. Again, you need that money and your current monetization model only profits off of new players, not sustained audience, and it's not like you can exactly just change one-time payments to annual subscriptions. So I guess having exclusive ability to host online servers and charging for access to them works well in lieu of having a game subscription. Calling it anti-piracy measure was basically just so that no one thinks it was a scummy move, wasn't it? Big grin It's not like you're nickel&diming like EA. Just be sure to make the server package downloadable when your company goes out, otherwise it'll become impossible to play online a perfectly good game.

You can still host a server for free using the ingame (start new host), it's just non permanent.
Quote from lfsrm :You can still host a server for free using the ingame (start new host), it's just non permanent.

Oh I'm not complaining. I understand why it's done; as far as I see it, that was the least worst option. Though probably it would be for the best at some point to just bite the bullet and implement game subscription. A lot of people would be upset but I suppose that can be smoothed over by just letting people who already own content packs to get a month of "free access" with another free extension available each month*. Pretty sure this can convince a good number of people to get annual subscription without causing much of an uproar. I'm not an expert in game PR though but yeah making it one-time payment model to begin with for this type of game was a mistake.

* That would probably be better to implement as "buy 1 year / buy 3 months / keep playing for free using your Sx license".
Quote from raidho36 :It struck me as odd decision to prevent your own hosting. Then I remembered that you're an indie company so you need all the money you can get, so I figured being extra tight on piracy is fine.

Umm... well it's more like, we need some money to pay bills, otherwise we'll have to stop development and take up another job. Get it?

And if I am to take you seriously and disregard my suspicion that you are just a troll... yes our business model does depend on one-off payments and is ridiculously cheap for a lifetime subscription, so most people would think of that as unsustainable. But when we've thought about it, we realise that there are always new people coming along, as there have been for some time, approaching 20 years now. And those who do pay once and use the game for years and years, are actually supporting the game just by being here and part of the community. We don't really need more money from them.

The only real problem is piracy, which stops people needing to buy the game (instead they give money to a pirate and install fraud software - but that's another story). So we decided to to the hosting ourselves, which we allow people to use free of charge, or rent very cheap permanent servers.

But I perceive you will believe what you want to believe.
Electric vehicles can be driven by pressing the gas while making a pitstop Big grin
Consumes too much electricity
It doesn't recharge when we let off the gas and It does not charge when we press the brake. Big grin
Quote from Scawen :Umm... well it's more like, we need some money to pay bills, otherwise And if I am to take you seriously and disregard my suspicion that you are just a troll...

But I perceive you will believe what you want to believe.

Why would I be a troll? I'm an amateur game developer, somewhat like you except I don't do it for a living nor do I have any actual worthwhile games to my name - hence amateur; I've been at it since 2006 or so*. On account of my hobby I do quite a bit of research on related subjects, monetization being one of them, piracy being another. So this is the way I see it - a miracle that it can pay three people salary. And that it's probably not a coincidence that ongoing economical recession eventually resulted in patching the seams to get better income. Like I said, I don't blame you, you're moving in the right direction.

* Maybe I could've gotten a sizeable game out in 2016, might've pushed a few million units on mobile, but it became math-heavy and virtually impossible to multithread, and then I've hit a brick wall with a mathematically unsolvable problem - an octic equation (no, numerical solutions are no good here). Well my current project for VR involves no such issues - all my maths can even be done on GPU - so maybe that one will work out.
Quote from raidho36 :Why would I be a troll?

Probably this part:

Quote from raidho36 :Calling it anti-piracy measure was basically just so that no one thinks it was a scummy move, wasn't it? Big grin

Anyway...

Quote from raidho36 :On account of my hobby I do quite a bit of research on related subjects, monetization being one of them, piracy being another. So this is the way I see it - a miracle that it can pay three people salary.

Maybe not a miracle - there is the possibility that we've worked really hard and made good decisions. Not *all* decisions, obviously, and I don't need any examples of our mistakes at this point. I'm fully aware of them.

But it's a funny thing that through my whole life, often people think it's just so strange that I have made a success of something despite my unusual approach. In the case of LFS people seem to sometimes find it confusing that something can go on and on, despite our absurd decisions. But I don't often see much pause for reflection, and the resulting thought "maybe their decision or approach isn't so stupid after all". Big grin
Good job on the official release Smile

Would it be possible to add adjustable deadzone support? For controllers and older steering wheels it's a necessity.
First of all, thank you LFS developers for this generous game update. İ have a question
I'm making some edits to the RB_Interior1.dds file for the RB4's taillights and headlights. But this doesn't work in game.
I guess the RB_Interior file is deprecated now. How else can I do this arrangement?
Quote from BeNoM :Would it be possible to add adjustable deadzone support? For controllers and older steering wheels it's a necessity.

Is it not possible to set deadzones using the controller's software? I seem to have a vague memory of this from the past.

Quote from Gorkema67 :I'm making some edits to the RB_Interior1.dds file for the RB4's taillights and headlights. But this doesn't work in game.
I guess the RB_Interior file is deprecated now. How else can I do this arrangement?

I think it is likely some older textures (that are still included) will now be unused.

If you load the RB4 in the editor, you could select a triangle and see which cutout its mapping uses, and which texture page that cutout refers to.
Wonder why this is released in between the graphical and physics one after all those news reports. I feel dissapointed and wonder how long it will take before we get next update Shrug
I'm kinda sad you did it 15 years later, but i still in love with LFS and i'm happy it happened. Long live LFS!
Top job as always Scawen, Victor, Eric. Everything is OK Thumbs up
Quote from Racon :Top job as always Scawen, Victor, Eric. Everything is OK Thumbs up

100%. LFS is the best it’s ever been!
There are some fun mods already Thumbs up
It is nice that the mods system works so easy, in other games it is often a hassle especially in multiplayer.

I think as next step it might be very worthwhile to think about limited/fixed setups again.
Especially old roadcars have very unique handling, soft suspension, open differential and so on.
In LFS, drivers are very free to change all that. It makes the cars faster but they also lose character and some realism.
So personally, I would like to see mod-creators limiting setup settings a bit so that not every budgetboxcar can be tuned to have a rockhard suspension and perfectly spaced gearing.
And also it would be nice if LFS gets some per-server setup restriction system.
Attached images
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
5.jpg
Will there be an new dcon I mean dedicated server?
Or do u guys stick to rentals only from now on?

Just took all our servers down thinking it will be rentals only now.
This thread is closed

New Version 0.7A - Mods Support
(173 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG