The online racing simulator
HOLLER VN GROUP A 91
(15 posts, started )
HOLLER VN GROUP A 91
Vehicle mod: HOLLER VN GROUP A 91
Details page: https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/E3ABBA

SHORT DESCRIPTION:
Quote :Group A touring car from 1991 ( Based on VN commodore )

DESCRIPTION:
Quote :This is the Holler VN group A 91" ( Based on the Holden VN commodore Group A from 1991 )

Specs are based on Top 10 shoot out at Bathurst. All low poly work fully textured.

Also I want to thank the LFS team, I love the fact that this is so simple to use! Please be kind to my first mod. Thanks

COVER SCREENSHOT:
Steering is way too light. Interior could have more detail work
Engine sounds very fake.
I'm planning on updating it again soon with proper skins and more refined mesh. Would increasing the caster stiffen the steering? Also any idea's on how to limit how much g's the car pulls during turns, as it currently has way to much grip. Tests of the 91 says it pulled 1.4 to 1.5 g's
Quote from mpantel :Would increasing the caster stiffen the steering?

Exactly, caster angle does affect the resulting force feedback quite a lot.
R4s only is a bit too harsh. Maybe R3s as well?
Quote from PopnLochNessMonster :R4s only is a bit too harsh. Maybe R3s as well?

R3's pulled crazy g's compared to the real car. R4 seemed to match better. But i haven't tested it since i updated the suspension and aero again.

I guess if it stays around 1.5 g's in a long sweeping turn with the R3, and doesn't overheat like crazy then i'll add it to the next update.
The steering wheel is a good 10cm closer to me than I care for, which is a shame since you can't set the view further back from default, only forward (and in most cars I do have to set the view closer to the dash). Really makes it feel claustrophobic to drive in VR.

Especially odd since I'd have to lean forward to even touch the shift knob (which of course isn't actually needed, but hey, immersion!)
Thanks for your feedback. That reminds me to check the measurements for the seating position and steering position. I have the notes of the actual measurements used for Larry Perkins in the 1990s.

Quote from Zopiac :The steering wheel is a good 10cm closer to me than I care for, which is a shame since you can't set the view further back from default, only forward (and in most cars I do have to set the view closer to the dash). Really makes it feel claustrophobic to drive in VR.

Especially odd since I'd have to lean forward to even touch the shift knob (which of course isn't actually needed, but hey, immersion!)

Some more suspension work needed in this, car tends to get tail happy while trail braking. Almost seems like car just has snap over steer out of no where.
Can we get a digital speedometer or something

Besides that sounds much better now, looks really good!
I might release a different version to this one now, that also includes parts from 1991 up to 1994 as configs options ( VN and VP ). Reason is i've modeled more higher poly body panels already. Also a note about the braking, the setup was based on brock's top 10 lap where he used way too much rear brake balance by mistake causing him to drift ontop of the mountain in 1991. Dont worry i will include specific race setups and configs.

Example

91 VN - bathurst top 10 spec
91 VN - bathurst race spec
91 VN - Standard Group A race spec
92 VN - bathurst top 10 spec
92 VN - bathurst race spec
93 VP - bathurst top 10 spec
93 VP - bathurst race spec

ect ect

Quote from martin18 :Some more suspension work needed in this, car tends to get tail happy while trail braking. Almost seems like car just has snap over steer out of no where.
Can we get a digital speedometer or something

Besides that sounds much better now, looks really good!

Hi, is that possible to switch driver's position for choosing left or right? That's a really good mod Smile
Mod is top notch man! Really like that you’re going all-out with the accuracy and recreating the IRL car into LFS. My favourite part of making a mod is finding all the specs and try to replicate it to then drive in game Smile looking forward to what comes next for this
Quote from NENE87 :Hi, is that possible to switch driver's position for choosing left or right? That's a really good mod Smile

No this is australia mate
Quote from mpantel :I'm planning on updating it again soon with proper skins and more refined mesh. Would increasing the caster stiffen the steering? Also any idea's on how to limit how much g's the car pulls during turns, as it currently has way to much grip. Tests of the 91 says it pulled 1.4 to 1.5 g's

Tyres, that's the reason, I think LFS tyres pull too much G but in any case, the tyres available in LFS would supercede the technical performance characteristics of tyres from the 90s, the only compensation would be using street_super but R4's feel fine even if they're a bit too forgiving.

It's one of the best mods around. Would love to see this get more love.

Don't read too much into individual complaints, they seem to be more about the setup than the car itself.
26/12/21

Overall excellent mod. Not sure why the rating is lower then I expected, perhaps because the brakes are weaker then most are accustomed to (but realistic). If I were to nitpick, the engine sounds a tad dull and there is perhaps a bit too much "rear steer" on loaded mid corner entry. Car feels like its going to loop. Had to put +0.3 to +0.4 rear toe in to compensate. Initial turn in is also perhaps a bit too grippy... but all tthese might just be down to tires.

HOLLER VN GROUP A 91
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG