The online racing simulator
LFS Mods [TEST VERSION] Introduction and Discussion
[EDIT: This thread was for the test version. We have now released the official version so this thread is now closed. Thank you all for the testing over the past few weeks]

Dear Community Members,

A test version of a new mods system is now available!

NOTE: There may be changes to any part of this plan, between now and when this test becomes an official version.

About the new system and how it came to be:

We have always wanted to support mods because of the huge variety that becomes possible. We thought it could be done after the new version release, with the new physics. That would have been ideal but there is a lot of demand for mods and we started to look into it this year.

At first we started thinking about simply allowing VOB mods, with some restrictions. But it would of course be better if we had an official way to edit and export mods. So I experimented with some changes in the current public version of LFS, to the point where it could load VOB models saved from our development version. It was immediately obvious that it would be too restrictive if we only allowed VOB mods on existing cars. So I made more changes to save fully edited vehicles that could be loaded in the public version.

As a standalone model and vehicle editor was proven to be possible in principle, we got more serious about the whole thing. We started working on a mod submission system, with mods stored on our website and automatically downloaded in LFS. With the new system, you can visit any server and see new mods there for the first time as they are automatically downloaded like skins.

To make a mod you can build a model (3D mesh) directly in the LFS modeller or start by importing one from another program, e.g. Blender, then make adjustments and apply texture maps within the LFS modeller. To create a driveable vehicle with your model, you could either start from scratch with a new vehicle or choose an existing car as a starting point. Adjust wheel positions, mass, suspension, engine and so on. Test the mod in your public version of LFS then export and upload it to our website. Reviewers will check it follows the rules and approve / reject / request changes. When approved, the mod can be downloaded in LFS and used online.

There are some restrictions.

- The mods system is only for S3 licensed users.
- We do not allow real car names or logos, unless permission is proved during the submission process.
- We do not allow meshes converted from other games, unless permission is proved during the submission process.
- There are limits (e.g. triangle count and texture size) so the mods are quick to download.

Changes to hosting:

There are some changes to the way game servers work. We believe the only way to prevent piracy is to no longer release any server code at all (or even support LAN games). For the new version, we provide the servers, using our existing server rental system. Game server owners can use InSim connections to their servers. We have set up internet servers in Europe, America and Asia so you should get a good ping wherever you are.

You can start a free server in game, using the "Start new host" button. But now, that starts a host running on one of our servers, instead of locally on your computer. When you leave a free server, it closes down after a few minutes.

If you want to run a full-fledged server, or multiple servers, that stay online all the time and store replays and layouts, you can use our game server hosting system. You can choose Europe, America or Asia for the location of your game server. The prices are approximately a quarter of what they were before this change.

You can manage your hosts from https://www.lfs.net/hosting/admin

That works for free hosts started from in-game as well as rental hosts. An InSim port is always opened and available to the IP of the user who started the host. If you would like to whitelist more IPs for InSim, you can do so using the hosting admin link above.

How to try the mods system:

downloads, web pages, videos, documents

We look forward to hearing your feedback and seeing your mod creations!
-
(cathal50cc) DELETED by cathal50cc : being stupid
For some reason the installer is in... swedish or norwegian? I'm finnish myself so I have no clue what most of it means. Thankfully the installer is easy enough to use
So i had this bug two times, after trying to select a mod i already used i take this error and after that i still have the car i selected
Attached images
Untitled.png
I have a couple of questions regarding the new Layout Square area (thank you very much btw!).

Is there any chance you could add mini map so the car icons are visible on the screen?

And what exactly is the difference between Wide Grid and Long Grid configurations? Both are 4km x 4km. Start grid also looks same so what am I missing? Never mind I'm just stupid. The start grid is different.
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen
I have no idea has this been suggested yet, but it would be great to have separate control to turn light bar on/off.
Not sure if is planned, or not. But I think servers should have the control to selects specific mods that they allow, similar to how server can enforce cars already.
That is planned, as a high priority task. It is possible through InSim but we need a decent interface for it.
MOD system - Question
Hi,

I dont know if this was asked somewhere or no, but: Why are LFS Mods only for S3 members? I know upgrade from S2 to S3 is cheap (270CZK).

So thats why, my mind came up with idea, that S2 can have this function too, but only to use mods, not to create them.
I dont know it that makes sense, if it dont make sense, Scawen is free to delete this post.
It would be better if we could change the values on the keyboard instead of a bar. It will make it easier to change values.
Hi Scawen, this looks great.

I've probably missed this somewhere, but in the insim protocol, how will the PLC/ALC packets (32 bit bitmask) be updated to cope with modded cars?

Will the other packets that use a 4 chars code be updated, or do all car mods get their own unique 4 character code? I see there is a 3 byte / 6 hex-digit "Skin ID" on the vehicle mods page.
Please don't forget to make the engine sound editor (Shift+A) compatible with mods. Smile
is possible add some options on car editor?
i mean a way to export to obj for fix Normals without lost all material/textures informations or add a option to calculate the object issues

if i import the whole car again i will lost all materials? D:
Attached images
Screenshot_8.png
lfs_00000004.jpg
Quote from Menticek :Hi,

I dont know if this was asked somewhere or no, but: Why are LFS Mods only for S3 members? I know upgrade from S2 to S3 is cheap (270CZK).

So thats why, my mind came up with idea, that S2 can have this function too, but only to use mods, not to create them.
I dont know it that makes sense, if it dont make sense, Scawen is free to delete this post.

To make the S3 usefull, I guess. Tilt
Quote from takashi_fujimoto :It would be better if we could change the values on the keyboard instead of a bar. It will make it easier to change values.

You can right click on any slider bar to type in a value.

Other tips: CTRL + right click - copy value / SHIFT + right click : paste value

Quote from PeterN :Hi Scawen, this looks great.

I've probably missed this somewhere, but in the insim protocol, how will the PLC/ALC packets (32 bit bitmask) be updated to cope with modded cars?

Will the other packets that use a 4 chars code be updated, or do all car mods get their own unique 4 character code? I see there is a 3 byte / 6 hex-digit "Skin ID" on the vehicle mods page.

Some info about the Skin ID: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95662
Quote from MacedoSTI :is possible add some options on car editor?
i mean a way to export to obj for fix Normals without lost all material/textures informations or add a option to calculate the object issues

If you do load an obj, yes you will need to do the texturing again.

It is surprising how many bad normals we see in your mesh. Are there a lot of double sided surfaces in the model, where triangles are facing in both directions, connected to the same points and sharing the same smoothing group? That is the usual cause. For example if you build a single triangle on three points, and the same triangle facing the other way on the same points, that will produce bad normals (LFS takes the average of triangle normals to work out vertex normals - so two normals facing in opposite directions produces a 'zero' result).
Quote from MacedoSTI :is possible add some options on car editor?

lucas tira o nomes que contem direitos intelectuais se nao eles tira do site
pelo menos por agora como nome do carro eo da nismo
This is amazing. So great to see this game being properly developed again!
Quote from Scawen :If you do load an obj, yes you will need to do the texturing again.

It is surprising how many bad normals we see in your mesh. Are there a lot of double sided surfaces in the model, where triangles are facing in both directions, connected to the same points and sharing the same smoothing group? That is the usual cause. For example if you build a single triangle on three points, and the same triangle facing the other way on the same points, that will produce bad normals (LFS takes the average of triangle normals to work out vertex normals - so two normals facing in opposite directions produces a 'zero' result).

well, this a strange issue because this model have no double objects or polys on glass...

actually i will stop this one, is just a test to see how it works, map the whole car again to fix only a window is a bad notice...

Other question, have a way to export the default lfs vehicles? to make some bodykits and small modifications?
example, make new bumpers and hood for xfg, i made a 5 cylinder engine, i have some ideas for design to make something more "sport"
Attached images
Screenshot_9.png
If possible, it would be cool to add a new type of sound on the shift + a menu, the dump valve sound only works as a .wav sound, but it would be easier to work if it was a normal sound, that never repeats, only plays once.
Would be really helpful to make new engines sounds for those new mods.
Hosting:
Just tried the free server creation, works nicely, and the server management on lfs.net is a nice package! As stated, upon me leaving, after a while it stopped running. Great!
Some minor things: since there will be no downloadable dcon, you might want to rephrase the Help texts upon clicking "?" next to server parameters in-game, when creating a host (specifically I mean the mention of a local host, or about opening appropriate TCP/UDP ports etc.). Also, the upload bandwidth calculations might not be needed, either (above car selection table). Smile

EDIT: also, a quick notice of how the free hosting works (that it runs remotely, closes after a while) would be fitting upon clicking Start New Host, just to make things clear for those who are not aware.
The new RB4 is a nice upgrade, but the weird thing is the lack of air vents make it look unreal now...
I had make the default skin but it still can't found, what's matter it is?
Attached images
擷取.JPG
how to install the 7z file in to the game? I forgot which video said this & I can't found it back
This thread is closed

LFS Mods [TEST VERSION] Introduction and Discussion
(231 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG