The online racing simulator
Why I Don't Play LFS Anymore
(59 posts, started )
#1 - MWFV6
I started playing LFS a long time ago, up till just before S2 came out I would play it almost every day. I didn't really have friends to play online with much so I played by myself. I used it as practice on how to handle a rwd car.

As time went on the corrections to oversteer became controlled drifts. I enjoyed being able to control powerslides, people would talk about drifting on the forums it was fun. I didn't need another computer game.

Tweek came out and a lot of people complained. But I love it, I was fascinated by learning how the power effected the cars nature on the track. I had even more reason to play.

But since S2 came out I have played the game only a handfull of times and I pretty much know why. Firstly the tyre heat model was a welcome addition but it's pretty much ruined the game for me, this move by the developer pretty much made me aware I wasn't wanted as a customer to them. Touring the posts on here it quickly becomes apparent that as a member into drifting I'm not welcome here.

I think it's a real shame, we all play games for different reasons and I'd never question why someone would want to do it in their own way. I appreciate that the developers are in the persuit of simulation but still feel let down by them.

The point of this post is to out my views. I may get flamed for what I have said but that I can handle. I just think things like this are important to voice my feelings since people are trying to earn a living writing games like this.

LFS has brought some great pleasure into my life, ironically most of it was when the game was a free demo. At the moment I can't see any reason to buy S3 and fear there maybe many who feel the same.
I still feel welcome here, even though i like drifting too. Cheer up mate! LFSTweak will come. Why do you feel like you're not a customer here?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Just because you like to drift you feel unwelcome? Doesn't make much sense to me. You'll be unwelcome on race (grip) servers, but that's it. There are PLENTY of drift-only servers out there and a lot of guys who like to drift for the pure fun of it. Personally, I love it when I pull off a great high-speed drift, but I don't like it when someone is slowly drifting around the track blocking the way for people who are trying to race. As far as the tire heat goes, this is something that was needed to help make the game more realistic as a racing simulator. If you're burning off the tires in the game then you'd be doing the same in real life driving that way. Don't use the soft tires and it will help, but real drifters often go through multiple sets of rear tires in just a single practice session or competition. It's that way in real life and it's that way in LFS.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel unwelcome, but perhaps you just haven't made the effort to find the right group of "racers" to play with/against?
#4 - Drain
I understand your problem, but don’t see what the developers are trying to do as 'shunning' you out because they are trying to bring you the best driving simulator out there (doing well I might ad ) Also I haven’t found a more friendlier community then the LFS community, and this is one of the many reasons why I love this game so much. I feel very comfortable in this community (despite my lack of posting!)

I myself enjoy both styles of driving (grip and drift) and feel that though they are different they still require a lot of skill. Though you will get some people who will disagree (mostly in regards to drifting) but you are always going to get that. People are entitled to their opinion. Be proud of what you do and stick to it. Drifting is a new racing sport, and weather or not people like it, it is growing very fast so someone likes it

As I see it, if it involves 4 wheels I will always be interested in it, be it drag racing, hill climbs, racing, drifting or just cruising. Something that we all have in common here, is that we all love cars (some of us bikes too).

So don’t get the wrong idea of what the dev’s are trying to do, because it is very hard trying to please everyone, and at the end of the day this game is NOT FINAL. So if they succeed in there goal of making a REALISTIC racing simulator (which im sure they will) you should not have a problem because if you can drift a REAL car with REAL tires, hell you should be able to do it in LFS one day, because that’s what the game is setting out to do. Keep hope and be patient. Playing LFS2 is keeping me very sane between patches/updates.

Also on a drifting note which might help you (unless you got board and stopped reading) is try drifting with the stock standard XR (non turbo). I have found in trying pretty much all cars, this one gave me the best (and funnest) results for drifting. Experiment with different tires and a relatively hard setup, maybe a few tweaks in the gears, and give it a go. I found this one the easiest to control during a drift and yielded a good performance for tire wear. I have made a drift track with the editor which I have a lot of fun with (also try the figure eight setup (found in autocross layouts), that one is great for drifting).

So I hope some (if any) of my friendly words have helped you.

Until next time, keep driving!
Quote from MWFV6 :I started playing LFS a long time ago, up till just before S2 came out I would play it almost every day. I didn't really have friends to play online with much so I played by myself. I used it as practice on how to handle a rwd car.

As time went on the corrections to oversteer became controlled drifts. I enjoyed being able to control powerslides, people would talk about drifting on the forums it was fun. I didn't need another computer game.

Tweek came out and a lot of people complained. But I love it, I was fascinated by learning how the power effected the cars nature on the track. I had even more reason to play.

But since S2 came out I have played the game only a handfull of times and I pretty much know why. Firstly the tyre heat model was a welcome addition but it's pretty much ruined the game for me, this move by the developer pretty much made me aware I wasn't wanted as a customer to them. Touring the posts on here it quickly becomes apparent that as a member into drifting I'm not welcome here.

I think it's a real shame, we all play games for different reasons and I'd never question why someone would want to do it in their own way. I appreciate that the developers are in the persuit of simulation but still feel let down by them.

The point of this post is to out my views. I may get flamed for what I have said but that I can handle. I just think things like this are important to voice my feelings since people are trying to earn a living writing games like this.

LFS has brought some great pleasure into my life, ironically most of it was when the game was a free demo. At the moment I can't see any reason to buy S3 and fear there maybe many who feel the same.

you could sum up your post to a small post in the improvements section:

"Please add drift oriented compounds/tyres to lfs, its really important for me, thanks in advance"
#6 - Drain
Quote :Originally Posted by MWFV6

The point of this post is to out my views.

...so he wanted to out his views about this situation, and obviously wanted to talk about it otherwise he wouldn't post this topic, and its a good thing to because this is a good community and also if you cant out your views whats the point of having a forum
in real life drifting comptetitons the tires dont last very long either they didnt use "special drift tires" last time i checked. as thenameistaken said, most people who drift just go into pits after their tires are worn out. with normals you should be able to get 2 good drift laps in at least on blackwood with the xrt.
used to be able to drift all day in s1 but not really got any further than the fox on SOclassic so far lolo
Well with the static cars that were present in v0.3 of course if you can do it once you can do it all day. OK so it's annoying to have to pit so frequently for tyres, but hardly justification to stop playing the game entirely.
Yep and i doubt ANY developers would taylor any sim, game, whatever, to suit the desires of one customer. I can find fault with S2 if I wanted to. Stamp my foot and say they don't care what i as a customer want. Or i can find 97% satisfaction and get on with it. It's a pity you would leave the game so easily. The drift community in LFS is pretty huge isn't it?
I know how you feel...

Instead of playing this game, i started taking my own car to a nearby parking lot and drifting there...

That way i dont have to worry about tire temps and wear, plus its MUCH cheaper.
Odd, drifters at the LFS RSC forum had it as tough there, if not more so, than here.

Tr8cer: What real world do you live in? I only ask as I want to be a part of it because my tyres have worn and it just cost me $800.00 to replace them. In your world they are MUCH cheaper, but in LFS I get tyres replaced for free... Amazing, how do you get tyres cheaper than free in the real world?
#13 - Gunn
Quote from Tr8cer :I know how you feel...

Instead of playing this game, i started taking my own car to a nearby parking lot and drifting there...

That way i dont have to worry about tire temps and wear, plus its MUCH cheaper.

Wearing your real tyres out and risking a fine for dangerous driving is cheaper than playing LFS? If you think drifting IRL does not wear or heat up tyres then you are in for a rude shock indeed. Then when your clutch burns out and your diff destroys itself, or you snap a drive shaft you may wonder why you took a street car drifting at all. Professional drifting uses soft tyres and heavily modified vehicles to perform like they do without breaking. It is a very expensive sport/hobby and is rather unkind to the mechanical systems and components. It may look exciting at the D1 but if you plan on drifting your usual ride you can look forward to replacing just about anything that moves and a great deal of what doesn't. It may look glamorous and exciting but the public car park is not the right place and a street car is not the right tool. I'd rather see you guys drifting in LFS than in my local neighbourhood, thanks very much.
Quote from Gunn :Wearing your real tyres out and risking a fine for dangerous driving is cheaper than playing LFS? If you think drifting IRL does not wear or heat up tyres then you are in for a rude shock indeed. Then when your clutch burns out and your diff destroys itself, or you snap a drive shaft you may wonder why you took a street car drifting at all. Professional drifting uses soft tyres and heavily modified vehicles to perform like they do without breaking. It is a very expensive sport/hobby and is rather unkind to the mechanical systems and components. It may look exciting at the D1 but if you plan on drifting your usual ride you can look forward to replacing just about anything that moves and a great deal of what doesn't. It may look glamorous and exciting but the public car park is not the right place and a street car is not the right tool. I'd rather see you guys drifting in LFS than in my local neighbourhood, thanks very much.

You missed the "wink" icon at the top of hir post. I pretty sure s/he's kidding.
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
well, don't we all love LFS for it's realism? racers or drifters, they're all aiming for the same thing, doing the things they like or desire in the most realistic manner.

The tyre wear gets a bit of time to get use to, but it provides you with greater challenges, now in S2, instead of trying so hard to drift the whole track, most of us are spending more effort in keeping the car on the track while getting it sideways through corners without spinning out. The people that still drift right now are only getting better and better, most of them are doing great, and they're still enjoying the game a lot, just like me.

IMO, the addition of the Tyre Wear = more realistic gameplay = more fun = happy me
Tanks for your understanding replies guys.

I like the tyre wear modeling in LFS, I like the tyre heat modeling too, it makes for more serious racing and less messing around.

I just feel that a lot of people took to LFS for drifting, and I appreciate that LFS was never originally made with that in mind. Like KiDCoDEa mentioned the problem would be sorted with being able to choose more suitable tyres. When S2 came out a lot of people pointed this out and it seemed attitude was "Who cares you shouldn't be drifting in this game anyway" and in some ways I can understand that.

What I liked about LFS was I could boot it up and let rip on my own on an empty track, drifting my little heart out until I got bored. Now I can barely do over a lap without needing to reset because the tyres have got so hot its like they are on the rim. That's how I played the game and I would -never- expect the developers to tailor it to me. But I do wonder how many others feel in the same boat.

Anyway, here's a random video of me drifting LOL

MWF_Koyoto
#17 - Gunn
Quote from HittiS :*LMAO* ... did anyone belive that Tr8cer was serious? Please c'mon, never heard of irony? Sorry for this but don't take it personal

Get a dictionary and look up "irony".
Hehe, i think he's looking for 'sarcasm' , but then again, english isn't
my native tongue. I'm just stumped from the fact that KidCodea has
resisted such an inflammable (spelling...) post, and has perhaps posted
the most appropriate reply...
-
Quote from HittiS :The word "irony" is in the dictionary, same as "ironic" and "sarcasm"

But did you read the descriptions for the words? They've quite different meanings.
that just went right over his head
LFS is a simulator, I think tire wear should be there.

As for drifters being unwelcome it's probably more due to the fact they attract the wrong crowd, people who buy LFS just to wreck and call themselves drifters, not saying this is most drifters at all but the divide between racing and drifting is just as big, talk to most people at race meetings and they'll have no interest in drifters. Not so much the art of a four wheel drift as the people that seem to get associated with it.
-
In America they would say it is ironic, in england (and probably Australia) they would say it is sarcastic. So in summary, go here.
#23 - Gunn
Lol, no irony here at all.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from StanleyCarter :The tyre wear gets a bit of time to get use to, but it provides you with greater challenges, now in S2, instead of trying so hard to drift the whole track, most of us are spending more effort in keeping the car on the track while getting it sideways through corners without spinning out. The people that still drift right now are only getting better and better, most of them are doing great, and they're still enjoying the game a lot, just like me.

IMO, the addition of the Tyre Wear = more realistic gameplay = more fun = happy me

very well said mate.

in the end LFS is becoming more and more realistic.. if certain drifters want to drift all day on the same non wearing tyres with 45degrees of steering lock the old S1 version can be loaded up. is this fun? i would say it used to be. but is this realistic? no it is not. i dont believe for a minute the developers are trying to make life difficult for drifters at all - they simply want to make virtual cars act like real cars, virtual tyres heating up and wearing like real ones.

it's upto us to adapt to their new innovations or be left behind. there are plenty of drift servers in S2 and plenty of wicked looking drift videos that people are making. these people have taken the new physics and adapted to them/learnt them

"adapt or die" springs to mind. good drifters adapted to s2, exactly the same as good racers had to adapt.

after all, racers can't use their S1 race style in S2. we're all in the same boat, just one style punishes the tyres alot more
I don't think I am communicating my point across well.

I understand about tyre heat and wear, I appreciate this is something that -has- to be included for LFS to make it more realistic.

I do not want these removed.

I have adapted to drifting in S2.

I'd have just liked to see drifting tyres as an option, which kind proves KiDCoDEa's point as being right I guess - I should have just posted that in the improvements section.

At least we all got to learn a little about irony.

(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG