The online racing simulator
How did you discover LFS?
(118 posts, started )
Got it from one off my karting friends
Wow I don´t remember how I found out. I think it was something like this: I´ve searched the net for freeware (racing simulations) and/or Indy programs and soon discovered LFS. If I remember correctly it was around the same time I´ve discovered Racer (or how it´s called).
My computer had just broken and i went back to my OLD one (600 Mhz iirc ) then a mate told me about LFS and didnt think was much chance of playing. Finally got a new computar last november time and downloaded demo got licence in january never looked back. Tell a lie i did once but that was wen someone was talking about social lives
#54 - joen
I sort of discovered LFS twice.
Years ago I stumbled upon a thread in the games section of a tech-forum I visit. Being a racing enthousiast, a link with speed in it will often catch my attention. So I started reading through it. People were excited about it so I decided to download the demo.
I really can't remember which version it was, but it was pre-S1. I really liked it and thought it was really promising, especially because there were just three people working on it. So I played it for quite a while.
Then for various reasons I sort of lost interest in playing any games for a long time, no matter how fun they were. And I kind of forgot about LFS too (yeah I know, I'm bad)
A couple of years later, on the same forum I mentioned, I came across a thread about rFactor (oh, the irony ) which led me to RSC. Looked around, and there was no demo available.
So I looked around a bit more and ended up in the LFS section. I thought "oh, I remember that one!". So I downloaded it again, played the demo, was amazed by how much it had improved, got completely hooked, bought a license.
And now I'm here So essentially, rFactor led me to LFS
My dad discovered hell knows where .
I used to play Motor City Online, and after that folded I started the long search for a good replacement. I stumbled upon LFS then and have never looked back!
i got lfs because my freind (whizzkidone) couldnt have an msn convo with me without going:

get s2
get s2
get s2
get s2

and then once i got that it was

get a wheel
get a wheel
get a wheel

then i did

now he just calls me a gayboy
I have always had a strong urge to try out every new racing game demo there is. So, one day in August 2002, I stumbled upon LFS Demo Test 0.04L, completely fell in love with it and here we are, still happily married and going strong
#59 - Jakg
im sure this is a repost, but i discovered it and hated the demo in PC Gamer, but when it said it went S2 i decided to try it again and loved it!
well 1st i didnt found out LFS, i ofund netkar namie, wich i couldnt play, because i dididnt have a wheel (to my fellow team mates : dont say a word!!), so someone back on RSC told me about lfs, been playing it almost everyday since it!!!
My old friend Zigma told me about it one day, and I remember first trying it, on blackwood, being amazed at my GTi with stupidly high suspension bouncing around and such.

I've been addicted ever since.
#62 - Mc21
I think it was PC gamer. Back in the S1 days lol..
I believe it was a person on f1rst2 chat that mentioned it, its so long ago i cant even remember.

I also go the s1 demo

glad i found it though

My cousin who was a rally racer back then told me about LFS demo, about how close to reality it is and that it's free and works online so we raced a few evenings together. He had business to attend to and gradually gave up, but I stayed...
A post on another forum i was frequently visiting.

Oh, here's the post and my reply, i obviously tried LFS for the first time 1057 days ago (unfortunately the author of the original post was anonymous, but, i thank him!)

http://www.tbg.nu/news_show/12772/10
#66 - col
I was browsing rec.autos.simulators back in 2002 for GPL news and came upon a discussion obout a new sim demo that had just been 'discovered'.... that was the last time I went looking for GPL news
I think I read about GTR and followed a link to blackhole motorsports.

There was a top 10 racing games where LFS was most promising (2004?). Downloaded the demo and loved it. Have been playing ever since, took me a month or 2 to get licensed.

Haven't touched other games at all since then

This is after playing tribes for 6 years exclusivly, so I'm a one game man I guess
Think I found it in an email newsletter (this is back September/October 2002, can't remember too clearly ). Been playing ever since
Found the link on the Codemasters Forum. Finally, Codemasters gave me something good to play

Quote from Rob :this is back September/October 2002, can't remember too clearly

What you mean you don't remember the day, like mine was the 21st Septemeber 2002, shame on you, or is that me just being totally sad LOL
#70 - CSU1
One day whilst walking to the supermarket for my ill grandmothers medication
I had a very strange experience.As I walked down the high street passing an internet cafe a large bang errupted from the sky.Looking upward to see where it had come from an arrangement of clouds began to gather in a weird way.At first I couldn't quite make it out but it gradually became clearer it read "LFS" , WOW I shouted in astonishment, "Wtf was that" I said to a passer by, who looked at me like I was nuts.Without hesatation I burst through the doors of the internet cafe garbbing a copy of S2 with the money.
When I got home my grandmother was brown bread...
Some people would sell their grandparents for a copy of S2
LOL @ CSU1

A friend downloaded S1 demo back in the day and I gave it a spin, but with the KB it didnt really suit me too well.

Played it on and off until part way through last year where one of my friends owed me a little cash, and would you believe it, it was just a little more than what S2 was worth. Having heard it was a huge improvement I told him to buy me a voucher number for it.

Bought a DFP 2 months later when I had the cash.

Been addicted ever since.

Edit: Edited grammar for Axus' sanity
A mate had a copy of it and a MOMO FFB wheel. I played it round his for a few months before I bought it.
I think I googled for a racing sim on the PC
I was playing GP4 a lot, and having the occasional foray into GPL. But I'd also just realised how awful MS Flight Sim was, and had migrated to X-Plane. I then wished that someone had done a similar thing with driving (an indi-project). At the time my brother had Broadband, but I didn't, so I asked him to have a browse for something similar the next day.

A few days later he returned with a CD, on which he had burnt Racer, netKar and Live for Speed.

I tried LFS first, but found it a bit unrealistic, so that didn't last long. Then I loaded Racer, and spent a couple of days on that, mainly trying to drive the Stratos I had downloaded for it round some sort of country road style track. After I got bored of Racer I tried nK, and that was lots of fun, because I could drive powerful real wheel drive cars and do silly things with them at the GPL version of the Nurburgring. The F3000 and the Ferrari kept me busy for another 2 days. But the bugs, and the flaws in the physics in both games started to grate, so I had another go at LFS (I'd only given it half an hour, so I felt I should try a bit more to like it). Within a week I was licenced. By the second hour I was loving every aspect of it. Okay, so you had to be smooth because the traction loss was a bit severe, but the way the cars moved and reacted hasn't been beaten yet. nK was used only then by my friend at Uni as it was a lot easier (and had faster cars), and Racer hasn't been touched since (by me or the programmer I suspect).

I bought it days/weeks before I went to uni, so spent most of my time using it offline (unlocking it with a mobile phone acting as a dial up modem). And it was a few months before I discovered RSC (and the LFS section). The rest is history. And/or spam.

Long Live Live For Speed.
Quote from Jertje :I think I googled for a racing sim on the PC

Me too, couldn't be much simpler than that could it?

How did you discover LFS?
(118 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG