The online racing simulator
How did you discover LFS?
(118 posts, started )
Simple, how did you find LFS? I always stared at the advertisements on the generally website. Then when i got rid of the dial up connection(i don't know what i use now, it's just faster) i could click on the advertisement and not wait 2 hours. Luckly, the ad was for LFS.
well for me its jluo_88 (hopefully i spelled it right ) fault.
i played with him in a different game and he told me hed play lfs.
so i gave it a try, became addicted to it and bought a license
I think I had played Racer first. Heard people talking about some LiveForSpeed game, and saw the forum section for it at RSC. One visit to the LFS site had me playing the demo, and then purchasing S1....
my friend told me about small project of 3 peoples, they are making realistic sim, 2 years ago, then i try s2demo from magCD on LANparty(1year ago), and i fell in love... 4 months ago i start play it on internet, and then bought license...

ps: it's funny, we have start similar discussion on czech lfs forums week ago
here is link, but it's in czech, so i think, you will not understand it
I was googleing for Need For Speed :ashamed: addons, and some how the LFS webby popped up.
Quote from NetDemon01 :I think I had played Racer first. Heard people talking about some LiveForSpeed game, and saw the forum section for it at RSC. One visit to the LFS site had me playing the demo, and then purchasing S1....

Exactly like me... a few years ago during the great days of High Gear Forums, I was looking for real simulation, but there was aboslutely nothing on PC that could simulate real-world cars (I mean, not supercars or racecars). That was restricted to games like Gran Turismo or Sega GT. Then I found Racer and got hooked.

At that time, my old PIII 866 with 256MB RAM and a 3Dfx Voodoo5 was enough... Until car creators started to up the ante and make Racer cars with very high polygon counts. My machine started to show its limitations...

But some "Live For Speed" appeared from nowhere. I thought: is this a NFS rip-off???

But then, the revelation: even on my pretty dated machine, that small game was able to run flawlessly, with pretty decent framerate and, even better: it was able to fullfill my need for simulation! And I've been playing it ever since.
BHMotosports with this picture here:
.. which.. they dont have anymore

it was a pretty much top down view of two xrs (not sure if they were turbo or not) an orange and purplish blue .. with smoke comming out, it grabbed my attention.. not sure why, i overlooked it about 5 times and just finally looked at it
S1 demo came on a demo disc with an australian pc magazine. I remember thinking it was like gran turismo for pc. One thing i really loved was throwing the car sideways down the back straight of the rallycross and sliding it into the corner. Cant do it quite the same in S2.
I just can't remember how I found it. Though I did try the 0.3 versions which were the early versions (before S1, when there was only the 3 cars and blackwood) pretty soon after they were "released". Downloaded them from somewhere with my laggy modem. At the time I was playing GPL a lot and LFS felt quite slippery at the time. I mostly drove against the AI on all blackwood configs. I even tried hotlapping (the chart was on blackholemotorsports back then) but I was too slow :d. But now I have got used to it

So I think it may have been either a finnish gaming magazine's forum or blackholemotorsports. But I have pretty much tried every sim or car game that has been released in last 10 years on PC, so I may have just "found it". But it wasn't love at first sight. Took over 4 months to make myself like it. Now I can only play LFS and GPL. Maybe it's the three letters... And I got my first broadband just little over 1 and half years ago, so I'm quite fresh with online gaming. Played mostly Soldier of fortune 2 back then. Janezki helped me with the license, the rest is history

All in all, I'm quite pleased that I found it
A friend showed me a "car" he'd made. Really, it was a skin. I liked the idea. So I really started skinning before I ever tried the game. Downloaded, played a bit... Got addicted lol.
http://www.racing-legends.com/news.htm
Those of you that are hardcore simmers will remember the good old days of lurking at the forums getting into fights with djellison and other good stuff, until one day... someone posted a link to a small and simple simulator being built, and my social life ended...
whatever happened to racing legends anyway? did the makers just .. disappear from it like i think they did, or .. is it still out there somewhere
#14 - SamH
I slipped off the toilet, while hanging a clock in my bathroom. I banged my head on the toilet seat. When I came to, there it was.. the LFS capacitor! I installed it immediately, and haven't looked back since.

Of course, you need a special power supply..
Attached images
lfspsu.jpg
#15 - J.B.
#16 - SamH
I think I read that from a link in the LFS wiki.. it's fabulous to read the birth of LFS from the perspective of the userbase. It reads like a transcript from history.. which of course, it is! Great read!
I had just bought a PS2 and GT4, spent some time on some gtvault.net forum or something and had finally persuaded myself into buying a DFP (it wasn't that hard ). There was a post either on a GT4 forum or a DFP review that mentioned someone - some sort of game dev or actual driver or something; I can't remember - preferring LFS over GT4 for it's realism and fun factor. It said something along the lines of, "... no game is so physically and mentally taxing as LFS in respects to the immersion and involvement of my whole body ... blah blah ... sweaty, nervous, something something ..." I thought, "Wow, cool."

I don't think I even had the demo a week before I got licensed, haven't had a social life since

PS: Anyone want to buy a PS2 and a few games? Hardly used...

EDIT: BTW LFS was at S2U at this point.
I heard of it on Digimods forum. Someone made a tread entitled "wana play LFS" or something and i had a look through. Then i noticed someone made their own skin and i was like wow, must try it. Tried it, tried skinning and it got hard and boring, having to save, load lfs, look, close, use ps, load lfs, look, exit etc.

Left it since then but then another thread appeared (this was literaly just before the tyre physics update, like a week or so) and havent stoped playing since!
I didn't.... LFS discovered ME.

Actually, I never had much to do with video games much (except doing beta testing and QC on a periphial for FPS games). Anyways, I was reading an article on Salon magazine(?) about indy games and people fed up with for working people like EA and Sierra and (PLACE NAME HERE). They showed little screenshots of various games being made by all these people and gave very brief descriptions about some of them. Most sucked and stopped development.
LFS was one of the games they mentioned. LOL Apparently, I don't think the devs were even aware of this article. Well to me, the screen shot looked alot like the original Gran Tourismo and I liked that game so I kept hitting little links til I came across the demo. I don't know if the "full" version was released just yet, but I know it was sorta within days or weeks of it one way or the other.
And the way it played using the mouse and the LX cars got me hooked...
that and the Community was really cool then (it's still good now, but there sure alot of A** holes popping up!)

Actually, the more I think about it, it was the community that got me hooked - cause I really hate racing games for the most part. Most are about as fun as watching paint dry to me. I like RTS games and GTA and Golf as far as video games go. Console or computer. ( I really shouldn't post after drinking... I should be playing!)

Speaking of RTS games, I was really interested in this Black & White game that Scawen worked on.....

oh well, enough of this. time to pop a top and get in a car
(kids, don't try this at home I'm an old guy past his prime, I can do this now ....oh wait......)
" I just can't remember how I found it. Though I did try the 0.3 versions which were the early versions (before S1, when there was only the 3 cars and blackwood) pretty soon after they were "released". Downloaded them from somewhere with my laggy modem......"

Exactly like Hyperactive lol
i was in a forum about gaming (cannot remember the name of it) and someone mentioned live for speed, i started laughing coz i thought they meant to say need for speed, boy i felt stupid when i checked the link he gave :P

i remember downloading the old 0.3 version and then deleting it because it was way too hard to control( i was using keyboard), then a year or two later my mate came over and told me to try live for speed with a steering wheel.
i was like, but its impossible to drive! so i went and installed s1 demo on my brothers pc because he had the steering wheel(logitech formula force GP).
After that we both had competitions on who could go sideways for longest, and master car control in the XRT on the skid pad and carpark . it was so much fun i just kept playing it from then on, and i decided to wait until s2 came out before i bought it, so i did, and the rest is history.

so yeah thats how i got hooked.
An old buddy from a car forum and I were bs'ing on AIM. He said that he was playing LFS. I enquired as to what it was. I downloaded the demo (Early S1) and immediately purchased s1 and s2. In turn, I purchased a Momo wheel, ACT labs shifter and pedals. Sadly, I used the shifter twice and the pedals less often than my Momo's. Then when the DFP came out, I bought that too... now they all sit and I use my kb and mouse.

I never really "raced". I, more often than not, would just drive around, seeing what I could and couldn't do. S2 came out and I got into drifting (EEK!). I've been pretty heavy into that since S2 came out and for some reason I joined FM's oval server two nights ago and I'm hooked on the BF1. So, out with the drifting...
Heh. I was playing RPGs with a bunch of friends online, and one of my really good friends from Finland and I started talking about diffrent other games that she enjoyed. With real life, I find little money available to throw around for games, so I usually either don't, or get good advice on what titles are 'worth it'.

She mentioned LFS, and I inquired what it ment . I was interested, so I went into my closet, dug out my Momo, set it all up, and installed it.

Since then, when I'm not racing, I'm thinking about racing. Its even rekindled my interest to bring my own car to the track, although thats always been hindered by the fact that its an hour and fifteen minutes away from where I live . Hrm... OT: Would anyone consider LFS realistic enough in it's Alpha stages to be worthy of 'training' myself to take lines? That, I hear, is often the hardest part about adapting a car you know real well to the track (having driven it for five years gives me a sense of braking points and understeer/oversteer, but you can't really practice lines on the streets)... But then again, what I hear and whats true are often not the same thing .

~Shinrar, The Demo (Soon to be S2 within the week!) user
It was January 2004 and I was reading a finnish gaming magazine and it had an article/review about LFS, it looked interesting, downloaded the demo and it felt so much fun I just had to get the full version quick as possible. That's about it.
I randomly saw the LFS logo (:lfs in someone's sig on bikechatforums.com a while back and clicked on it out of simple curiosity.

Downloaded the demo, played that for a while and finally got S2 licensed last November. Nothing can beat this as far as racing sims go and a good community to go with it too!

Keep up the good work devs!

(118 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG