The online racing simulator
Quote from rockclan :Can confirm after testing stuff out once it happened again, it is a strange sort of packet loss indeed. Eventhough it is on my locally hosted server, swapping from UDP to TCP packets solved the issue. Swapping back to UDP instantly caused it again.

I'm glad you were able to verify my diagnostic. But now, I'm afraid my networking knowledge is not enough to propose any further test or solution...
FFB at the placebo level. But it feels better. I will test in more detail and write later.
What settings should I set for Thrustmaster F430, 400 and 50Hz?
Scawen what about translate Rockingham tracks? it's still untranslated
iirc the release of blackwood industrial was 2018
i believe releasing all these graphics and time etc updates is better than losing the fans
Quote from Yazan0Alothman :iirc the release of blackwood industrial was 2018
i believe releasing all these graphics and time etc updates is better than losing the fans

I believe that's the plan, it is just not finished yet, updating South City is still ongoing and Fern Bay still to be done. Updating the tracks takes time when there is only one person doing the job. All we can do is to wait and hope Eric to progress in his work without any extra surprises in the development process. The day night transition is an extra feature which I think is mainly looked into by Scawen and as such does not affect Eric's progress on tracks. Then there will be the tyre physics update which we don't know how much effort that will still need to have it included in test patch releases along with grachics update for tracks.
Hi guys, i keep getting this message "CreateRenderTarget failed (MS4) : GARAGE~T" and lots more. pls help
Quote from nxggera :Hi guys, i keep getting this message "CreateRenderTarget failed (MS4) : GARAGE~T" and lots more. pls help

Your game install by me corrupted, try reinstalling the game. Or if that doesn't do it, it might be your GPU drivers. Try cleaning them with DDU and installing fresh drivers from Intel, NVIDIA or AMD. Wink
thank you for this Smile

now I am going to go back to slaving feverishly over this neutral fzr set. no idea how many years I've been taking advantage of these amazing physics but I'm faster today than I was a few days ago. ok maybe only a little bit, but still.

hopefully I can release something soon! it might even be before the day/night update, it's that close now
Pimax 8K
I can't start LFS anymore. LFS close after display view calibration.

The openvr.log contains following information

LFSOpenVR Mar 20 2019
ProductName: Vive MV
Manufacturer: HTC
LFSVR_QueryHMD
RT size: 5512 x 2332
Left eye:
GetProjectionRaw___: Left -1.742 Right 1.346 Top -1.306 Bottom 1.306
GetProjectionMatrix: Left -1.742 Right 1.346 Top -1.306 Bottom 1.306
GetEyeToHeadTransform:
0.985 0.000 0.174 -0.032
0.000 1.000 0.000 0.000
-0.174 0.000 0.985 0.000
Right eye:
GetProjectionRaw___: Left -1.346 Right 1.742 Top -1.306 Bottom 1.306
GetProjectionMatrix: Left -1.346 Right 1.742 Top -1.306 Bottom 1.306
GetEyeToHeadTransform:
0.985 -0.000 -0.174 0.032
0.000 1.000 -0.000 0.000
0.174 0.000 0.985 0.000
IPD: 0.064
LFSVR_AcceptSharedTexture
size: 5512 x 2332

The deb.log contains this data

Mar 15 15:38:05 LFS : 0.6U9
Mar 15 15:38:05 timer resolution 1 ms
Mar 15 15:38:05 read config
Mar 15 15:38:05 get command line
Mar 15 15:38:05 preinit d3d
Mar 15 15:38:05 started Direct3D 9Ex
Mar 15 15:38:05 number of adapters : 1
Mar 15 15:38:05 adapter 0 - valid modes : 57
Mar 15 15:38:05 load font
Mar 15 15:38:05 -----
Mar 15 15:38:05 max texture size 16384
Mar 15 15:38:05 can do shadows
Mar 15 15:38:05 can do multi tex
Mar 15 15:38:06 load language
Mar 15 15:38:06 initialisations
Mar 15 15:38:06 human system
Mar 15 15:38:06 tables
Mar 15 15:38:06 helmet
Mar 15 15:38:06 controllers
Mar 15 15:38:06 load objects
Mar 15 15:38:06 start intro
Mar 15 15:38:06 end of initialisation
Mar 15 15:38:06 Blackwood
Mar 15 15:38:13 Next LOD
Mar 15 15:38:13 Meshes : 40
Mar 15 15:38:13 init sound
Mar 15 15:38:20 Garage : data\veh\XF GTI.veh
Mar 15 15:39:05 open VR

Today I updated the PiTool. Afterwards the firmware of the headset was updated automatically, too. By the way, SteamVR home works without any problems. I haven't tested any other games yet.

I already rename the cfg.txt. After that I can start LFS. But when I configure 3D again, I got the same issue.

Does anyone else use the pimax 8k and have updated the pitool?
Thanks for the information.

At exactly which point does LFS close? You said "LFS close after display view calibration." Do you mean after you press the space bar when looking straight ahead?

In that case have you tried the other button?
What I am talking about, there are two different methods to centre the view:

"OK - reset headset position"
"OK - use relative position"

You could try the one you don't normally use.

Also, how does LFS close? Is there any information about a crash? If so, maybe there is an entry in the Windows Event logs.
@Scawen: LFS crash before I can press any key. I only see for a short time that the headset position menu is displayed. I have no chance to confirm with any key press.

I will check the windows event log asap.
I have found following entry:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: LFS.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5dbda5bf
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x24cbb2a2
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x274c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d5fb812d89a4b4
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\LFS\LFS.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown
Berichtskennung: 858b8aad-d6cf-45a4-a560-251929a6543d
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Thanks for the information. That crash (0xc0000005) is a memory access violation.

Unfortunately the offset of the instruction that caused the crash is not within the LFS exe. It might be in D3D or the Pimax drivers (or the graphics card drivers). That doesn't prove that LFS is not at fault but it doesn't prove it is at fault and certainly does mean I can't locate the problem.

I don't really know what to do at this point. Would it be possible to ask the Pimax developers to run LFS using a debug version of their drivers to see where the crash is, as it seems to be caused by the new update.
Thanks you for verifying the data. In the meantime I have installed the latest NVIDIA drivers. Looks like something was wrong before. The installer was not aible to detect the driver version installed before. Very strange

But now everything works again. Thank you for the fast support.
Good to know - thanks.
Using valve index it seems that only 80Hz option is stable and kinda keeps 80fps on LFS. 90Hz seems to drop to 45fps, 120hz to 60fps and 144hz to 72. Not sure why this half the frame things happen.

Also i'm not sure whether i've used 144hz monitor too much and now 80hz VR looks laggy or it's just not optimized as good. I do understand that physics run at 100fps but the game seems smoother on higher frames even if there is some sort of frames ghosting going on or not.

Super Sampling doesn't seem to change much aswell in my case so i just set it to 225%
Quote from Drifteris :Using valve index it seems that only 80Hz option is stable and kinda keeps 80fps on LFS. 90Hz seems to drop to 45fps, 120hz to 60fps and 144hz to 72. Not sure why this half the frame things happen.

Also i'm not sure whether i've used 144hz monitor too much and now 80hz VR looks laggy or it's just not optimized as good. I do understand that physics run at 100fps but the game seems smoother on higher frames even if there is some sort of frames ghosting going on or not.

Super Sampling doesn't seem to change much aswell in my case so i just set it to 225%

There are a number of possible reasons that you only get stability at 80Hz. Your super sampling value is too high. Set it to 115% at the very most for best results in LFS. You're right that the LFS physics engine is out of sync with your headset so you will get some noticeable stutter when cornering. The halving of your perceived frame-rate is an effect called asynchronous time-warp (Oculus term), where frames are being interpolated every other frame to try and reduce any effects of cyber sickness.

Drop your super-sampling value and try again.
Quote from mbutcher :There are a number of possible reasons that you only get stability at 80Hz. Your super sampling value is too high. Set it to 115% at the very most for best results in LFS. You're right that the LFS physics engine is out of sync with your headset so you will get some noticeable stutter when cornering. The halving of your perceived frame-rate is an effect called asynchronous time-warp (Oculus term), where frames are being interpolated every other frame to try and reduce any effects of cyber sickness.

Drop your super-sampling value and try again.

I tried that and even 50% supersampling (on LFS) and it doesn't change much. Getting huge frame drops near other cars especially. dynamic reflections off and x4 and no difference. Dropping from 80fps to 65-45 causing huge stuttering. If only driving on 80fps wasn't bad enough. And my PC is capable of running VR games.

Also the "monitor view" setting if none selected then it causes lagging and frames drop aswell. so that's that.
Quote from Drifteris :
I tried that and even 50% supersampling (on LFS) and it doesn't change much. Getting huge frame drops near other cars especially. dynamic reflections off and x4 and no difference. Dropping from 80fps to 65-45 causing huge stuttering. If only driving on 80fps wasn't bad enough. And my PC is capable of running VR games.

Lfs run only smooth with 100 FPS and a 100 Hz Freesync Monitor or a old 100 Hz CRT-Monitor. Only when you buy a 100 fps VR-Glass with 100 Hz Freesync (do not yet exist in the world), you will have smooth stereoscopic graphics. Scawen Roberts make 60 Hz Videos of LFS. No idea what he think when he make such wrong things.
It runs great on my 144hz freesync monitor though.

I've tried assetto corsa running 80Hz mode and it runs so smooth even with many cars. While in LFS even when fps counter is showing 80fps it doesn't even feel like 80fps and then gets worse when it drops and stutters.
Quote from matze54564 :Scawen Roberts make 60 Hz Videos of LFS. No idea what he think when he make such wrong things.

It's my understanding that nearly everyone has a 60 Hz monitor. I am obviously very well aware that LFS can currently only output video in steps of 0.01 seconds.

I'm surprised that you find it hard to understand my thinking. It's pretty simple. Maybe I am wrong (I'm not very experienced with youtube or video editing in general) but I am under the impression that youtube videos should ideally be 30 Hz or 60 Hz to run well on most monitors. So I thought the smoothest LFS videos I could possibly make would be 60 Hz ones, as I read that is the highest possible on youtube when I made the video (and now, I guess).

At 60 Hz, in 1/20 second there will be 5 LFS physics updates and 3 visible frame updates. So I output frames with steps of 2, 2, 1 each 1/20 of a second.

That cycle continues 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1 and I believe that is the smoothest possible output for LFS on youtube at the moment. But if you know a better way, I'd like to hear it, rather than just hearing you say you can't understand why I would do that.
Quote from Drifteris :I've tried assetto corsa running 80Hz mode and it runs so smooth even with many cars. While in LFS even when fps counter is showing 80fps it doesn't even feel like 80fps
and then gets worse when it drops and stutters.

There is a problem with the public version of LFS in VR on some computers.

In fact there are two problems, and it seems to be worse on some computers than others.

1) LFS is rendered in D3D9 then a shared texture is used to update D3D11 render targets. Some code is used to try to time that well, and it seems to work quite well on some computers but I believe it is worse on others, judging by the descriptions.

2) LFS uses 100 Hz physics update and these steps do not correspond exactly with the refresh rate of any VR headsets.

In the best case, on many computers, only problem (2) is a real problem. In this case, the view looks quite good when looking straight ahead, but you can see a slight stutter when you look sideways. Different people might be more sensitive to that - you can see the stutter of the scenery, the 100 Hz physics updates being rendered at 90 Hz or 75 Hz or whatever.

In the worst case, on some other computers, apparently there is a worse stuttering problem. I think this is related to problem (1) which has now been eliminated in the current development version by using D3D11 for the main LFS render.
Quote from Scawen :It's my understanding that nearly everyone has a 60 Hz monitor.

Sure, but now many people using FreeSync and are able to have real 100 Hz with Freesync at a 144 Freesync-Monitor which also run good with 100 Hz. I have only a 1080p 50-60 Hz Monitor and using the Monitor Profile Switcher to change this Refresh Rate when needed. When i look a 60 Hz Video i setup 60 Hz and when i look a 50 Hz Video i setup 50 Hz. Example for very good 50 Hz Videos on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmI2WzXFKZI

With LFS you can make a 50 Hz Video when you use the frame rate limit or a 50 Hz Monitor and Vsync (Vsync works not properly because the 100 fps Physics are very strong 100 fps and the physics frame change are always in the middle of the screen) and in Fraps setup also 50 fps. Sorry for my bad english, in all this years i learned it not Smile

When Windows dont know that your Monitor can 50 Hz, help the "Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU" with AMD Cards. I use only AMD Cards because i dont know how to setup 50 Hz with Nvidia Smile For German Television is 50 Hz necessary.
OK thanks, maybe 50 Hz would be a good option.

Let's consider how that would look on a 60 Hz monitor.

Each 1/10 of a second the video source has 5 frames (each of 2 physics steps). But our monitor will refresh 6 times.

So 50 Hz video on 60 Hz monitor (physics steps per monitor refresh) will be:
2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 0... (12 refreshes, 0.2 sec total)

Compared with my original 60 Hz video with this pattern:
2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1... (12 refreshes, 0.2 sec total)

I can understand that the 50 Hz video will look smoother if you have a monitor that can use 50 Hz refresh rate. I guess the 60 Hz version will look smoother on a 60 Hz monitor.

Of course the best solution will be for LFS to be able to render intermediate frames between physics steps, or a completely different solution, use 1000 Hz physics and choose the nearest frame.
Quote from Scawen :Of course the best solution will be for LFS to be able to render intermediate frames between physics steps, or a completely different solution, use 1000 Hz physics and choose the nearest frame.

This. Please, LFS needs that. (The both solutions will be better than how it is now.) ^^

EDIT: Don't know if this is the right moment, but i've been thinking about adding a subtle motion blur effect. It would be amazing for the video makers. It can only be in replay mode (like Gran Turismo Sport).
This thread is closed

Test Patch U16: Updates and fixes
(392 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG