The online racing simulator
Why the *&$#! do you play LFS?
(60 posts, started )
Quote from bishtop :NO matter the work put into it, the physics in lfs are better than R-Factor 2 and assetto corsa and pcars, thats from experience with spending as many hours in each but where LFS falls behind is graphics if that is something that someone cares about

Enjoyable for sure, but not as "in depth" as for exemple RF2, just by the amount of simulated stuff under the hood it's not comparable, you literally have to oversteer the car in LFS to make fast lap and that's not very lifelike.

If Scawen said he can't get a satisfying result out of the current physics for a simple FWD like the Scirocco, it's for a reason... Smile

I mean come on, let's be fair to those who bring new things to the simracing world.
Well, i have played LFS for many years. in 2006 when i started with it it nearly catched me everyday until 2012/13 or so. but the big part of the community who made the leagues and races wich lfs made so great for me are gone mostly. Also had lfs by far the best paintings for a long time with no money for them. we as painters just posted public skins and so on. The community back in the days were just great overall. i cant judge about the current state since i am out of it for many years now. But if you say 200 players on a normaly day. its not enough for a racing game. Because some go drifting, cruising, demo, and some try to race. But the competition we all love about racing is mostly gone here i think. I am with yann here. lfs wont comeback near to any of the peaks it has had. Even with a new physic it will be hard. Out int he simracing scene no one knows about it. and i.e. iracing does a good job even there are costs. But in todays times people buy rigs and wheels for 1000 of euros so they dont care about buying cars or tracks if they get something good.
Iv'e only been here since 2016 but i can't turn my back on LFS it is by far the best Racing/car game i have played and i don't say that lightly!

I have played many racing simulators/car games .eg Assetto Corsa, Forza Motorsport, RaceRoom, Enthusia (my first ever Racing simulation game) Grand Turismo, Grid and so on including games like need for speed, The Crew, Test Drive and more.

Of All these games LFS is the most Challenging and brings you closest to your car and how it's behaving. I haven't gotten into GTR because there are no populated GTR servers, guess i joined to late for that.

And the fact that LFS allows you to experience the game free with the option to move up if it's what you are looking for makes it so much better, i say this because Assetto Corsa promised a grate user experience and when i tried it i was disappointed...

I'm passionate about customizing including Bodykit's rims .etc though LFS doesn't offer that you can still make skins to look how ever you want with no restrictions and you can edit sounds and DDS which is enough to keep me satisfied to a extent.

I Live For Speed

Thumbs upHeartLFS
Reading this thread lets me know I'm not the only one who pops in for a wee nosey every now and then. Smile
Why I'm playing LFS? Good question.

I've got a bunch of answers. One of them being since I'm stuck with a POS computer (until I get a better one), and it's the only sim I can really run, and even by that 11 cars on track is pushing it.

But also because it was one of the first 'real' sims I got to play on PC besides what few other racers I've tried, I knew it's keyboard friendly (sorta), but a reason why I even try now, partially to still practice some scenarios with real life driving.

Sure I've got a license and I've been at it for a long while, I still practice and I still try to find ways to do any number of things better, be it mundane parking or attempting to actually perfect parallel parking.

I used it to practice what I could in game when I could not in RL, and it may have been partially responsible for me passing the test.

But also because I want to at least understand actual car setup with at least ONE driving sim even though there's clear differences in physics between games like Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Richard Burns Rally, iRacing.com, and yes I'll even include Forza and Gran Turismo.

I want to include DiRT Rally as well but I've not spent enough time to really say, and my little time was very limited (including driving a Metro 6R4 for the first time, at Monte Carlo, at night, with snow. I don't think there were any driver aids and years of LFS and RBR had me learn how to do without them anyway).

But to be on topic, right now I'm trying to at least have the delusion that I'm quasi-comptient with racing, and I've been trying to make a 'minimal' goal of being as fast as the AI on Pro on ANY circuit with the RWD GTR cars.

That goal has been a long painful journey far as not just learning how to go fast, be consistent, put the least amount of wear on tires, learn how to make up speed lost in some sections, learn how to pass cleanly and aggressively, and so forth, but also actually learning car setup inside and out.

I've kept quiet about that to be honest because, while not here, I've had too many cases of people being condescending towards me with enough things that I resorted to simply learning and figuring out some things on my own.

So I've been looking thru the manual, but also testing my setups and figuring out for myself what works and what does not for me.

I'm aware that for all of LFS's depth, it's not perfect and has some issues. I'm aware some updates have been, a long time in the making including a VW that should have came over a decade ago.

I still stick around because I want to get good with something.

There's more but, I think I've ranted enough as it stands.
The game is ok
Hi. Well, I have been a demo for a long time, I have had the idea of buying a more advanced license but I think that LFS is what every lap is a progress, I have left the game resting but it still makes me come back. I could not get fighting times, but I think it is one of the games that brings you closer to the reality of driving on the track.
For those of us who are not looking for graphics and neither are real-life cars, but rather a competition car is fine.
Now my nephew joined me who preferred to play a thousand times games with real graphics and very fast cars, nitro and turbos. One day I invited him to play and now he wants to continue progressing. The moment I saw him when he fell in love with the game was when he told me that his breasts hurt.

LFS is the only racing simulation circuit.
I tried the versions of blackwood in assetto corsa and rfactor 2. The feeling that I had is that I am driving in a racing game.

With the original Blackwood in LFS, I am racing for real. As I mentionned earlier I am using some tweakings to the FFB. The standard FFB in LFS needs to be updated. The simulator in all needs some updates too.

With all the "simulations" available today I am mostly using NR2003 for ovals and LFS for road. Period.
Racing
Quote from adirany :I tried the versions of blackwood in assetto corsa and rfactor 2. The feeling that I had is that I am driving in a racing game.

With the original Blackwood in LFS, I am racing for real. As I mentionned earlier I am using some tweakings to the FFB. The standard FFB in LFS needs to be updated. The simulator in all needs some updates too.

With all the "simulations" available today I am mostly using NR2003 for ovals and LFS for road. Period.

The version of blackwood in assetto corsa feels really bad, i agree with you regarding FFB for sure Smile

Found LFS while bored one day on my old laptop and downloaded it but never expected it to run well or at all and was stunned when it ran pretty ok, and still here many of pc builds later and love it just as much

Quote from kiste :Well, i have played LFS for many years. in 2006 when i started with it it nearly catched me everyday until 2012/13 or so. but the big part of the community who made the leagues and races wich lfs made so great for me are gone mostly. Also had lfs by far the best paintings for a long time with no money for them. we as painters just posted public skins and so on. The community back in the days were just great overall. i cant judge about the current state since i am out of it for many years now. But if you say 200 players on a normaly day. its not enough for a racing game. Because some go drifting, cruising, demo, and some try to race. But the competition we all love about racing is mostly gone here i think. I am with yann here. lfs wont comeback near to any of the peaks it has had. Even with a new physic it will be hard. Out int he simracing scene no one knows about it. and i.e. iracing does a good job even there are costs. But in todays times people buy rigs and wheels for 1000 of euros so they dont care about buying cars or tracks if they get something good.

There are still good leagues with plenty of competitors, worth looking them up and with i have a pretty good build with VR and decent wheel but still think IRacing is not worth the money, it has its market i agree but graphically its rubbish compared to a.c+ project cars and the physics are not anything to write home about.
People tend to like a game or simulator they are able to instantly be able to drive which is not very realistic and Liveforspeed does replicate well.
It's been years since I raced LFS. Somehow, I peak here every now and then. The software still interests me.

I don't even sim race anymore(sold my gears). Regardless, I might buy all the future licences just to support the DEVs.
Quote from bishtop :There are still good leagues with plenty of competitors, worth looking them up and with i have a pretty good build with VR and decent wheel but still think IRacing is not worth the money, it has its market i agree but graphically its rubbish compared to a.c+ project cars and the physics are not anything to write home about.
People tend to like a game or simulator they are able to instantly be able to drive which is not very realistic and Liveforspeed does replicate well.

Knowing what kind of leagues Kiste has done in iR, you cannot convince him by saying that LFS has decent leagues, because it's false. Yeah the racing might be good but iR offers that atmosphere that screams for competition. In LFS tho it's just grandpas racing.
Wow.... I guess single malt really is better than a blend.......
Quote from bishtop :but still think IRacing is not worth the money, it has its market i agree but graphically its rubbish compared to a.c+ project cars and the physics are not anything to write home about.

iRacing is worth the fact that it's 11 PM on a weekday and I can go jump into a full race in almost anything I want to drive. Be it a NASCAR or Formula race.

Fact of the matter is, for LFS, I had to plan my entire week around driving a single event on a saturday morning. An event that if I was 3 minutes late for, my entire week of prep and waiting was for nothing.

Things used to be better back in the CTRA days, where even in NA evenings things were pretty busy, but that's close to a decade ago at this point.

In iRacing if I'm 3 minutes late for a session, there's going to be another equally (or more) populated race in a maximum of 2 hours. I'm also matched with people who are approximately my skill, so I actually get to race WITH people and not just participate on the same track as others.

There's very few times and places where a race that I want to participate in either has 0 other competitors. Sometimes they might not go official, but there's still usually the other 4-5 cars willing to participate in a fun race (with people slowing up if someone spins and such).

Plus the endurance races, despite some of the blunders (44 incidents for a 24h race Frown), are still pretty much unmatched. Full day/night cycle with relatively realistic damage modelling (some shunts result in a car that's never perfect, engine damage eventually surfacing with a blown motor, etc) and a reasonable driver swap system works pretty good.

Sure it's expensive, but that was only really a problem 10 years ago when I was unemployed or making minimum wage. Now that I have a stable and well paying job, $10 a month and $10-15 per piece of content is literally fractions of an hour worth of time spent working. My entire month of enjoyment is covered by an hour of work. Pretty decent return on entertainment value (and it gets cheaper every month as I need to buy less and less content).

Also name another sim where you can end up in a session with active F1 drivers?
iR is not expensive. Can't have everything for free. It surely isn't expensive when you consider how many people actually play it vs how many people play LFS. Shrug
Quote from MousemanLV :iR is not expensive. Can't have everything for free. It surely isn't expensive when you consider how many people actually play it vs how many people play LFS. Shrug

I believe it's to expensive and u never own the game Shrug
I will never rent a game.
Then you are missing out
It's like smokes. Not good for you, but somewhat enjoyable and there is always that "Ok, just one more, then I'm dond for today." thing going on.
I play lfs because it is an incredibly addictive game, lap after lap it gives a very real sensation and because of the time I have been playing it it is about 7 months but I still need to improve a lotLFS
Options.

Honest product.

Great developers with vision, courage and long breath.

Great Physics.

Option!

Great Grafik/Performance balance

Good Force Feedback.

Good Netcode.

Options!!

Great and fast implementation of new technologies.

Great Cars.

Great Tracks.

Great Forum.

Option!!!

Great Lfs World.

Great Fun.

Great question.

and...

!OPTIONS! Dead banana
Quote from MousemanLV :Knowing what kind of leagues Kiste has done in iR, you cannot convince him by saying that LFS has decent leagues, because it's false. Yeah the racing might be good but iR offers that atmosphere that screams for competition. In LFS tho it's just grandpas racing.

In LFS any event with a full grid of good racers is enjoyable and happens every week, the only difference is do i want to pay to play and race in events with a full grid or do i want to race in an event with a full grid for pay only once for my license

I-racing has many good points but nothing that could not be replicated. The majority of people i know that race on it do so just for oval racing, also the structure of I-racing's license and safety system can work well.

I just cannot pay for a game until i either finish gaming or until the day i die
Quote from bishtop :In LFS any event with a full grid of good racers is enjoyable and happens every week, the only difference is do i want to pay to play and race in events with a full grid or do i want to race in an event with a full grid for pay only once for my license

Yes, a full-grid demo server LMAO
Not many other driving games that I can play decently with a mouse or keyboard as well as I love the physics of this game. Compared to most people here i'm relatively new.
Quote from MousemanLV :Yes, a full-grid demo server LMAO

I don't often get the chance to do GTi Thursday races, but I've had 'Race is full' every time I've tried.

Have you tried using water in your fire extinguisher? The petrol doesn't seem to be doing us much good Shrug
Quote from MousemanLV :Yes, a full-grid demo server LMAO

You're wrong dude, the 40 grid slot GTi Thursdays and FOX Fridays get full most of time, and the racing at the front is always super close.

Why the *&$#! do you play LFS?
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG