The online racing simulator
April Progress Report
(209 posts, closed, started )
Quote from BeNoM :The results are pretty decent with NN, for example:

Or waifu2x, however ridiculous that might sound.
Well said PioneerLv
Quote from BeNoM :The results are pretty decent with NN, for example:

That's a lot better than I thought it would look, upscaling from a 512px skin. I just tried it myself (with Gigapixel) on some low-res photos and the results are amazing, really, considering it's making the enlargements from such a low resolution file. I can see from your screenshot that with the LFS skins, it struggles a bit with the text, but that is hardly surprising when the original was so fuzzy to begin with.

I will perhaps try doing this to all the skins in my LFS folder and seeing what happens. It might take a while as I already have almost 1000 skins downloaded and my laptop, whilst powerful, is not up to desktop-level performance. But I shall look forward to seeing the results! Wink

(I really hope the developers will read my pleas and consider updating the system to support 2048px downloads from LFS World. That way, none of this upscaling would be necessary and everyone can enjoy viewing high-resolution skins whilst playing online. As someone who has played LFS for about 7 years, this is one of the absolute biggest improvements I would like to see!)
Should point out more important things than telling how skins might not look as good as you want them online. Pioneer pretty much said it above. It's not that the people who might be against the way things have turned out for LFS, it's just sad to see how things have changed, or not changed since 2009.
:/
Quote from MousemanLV :Should point out more important things than telling how skins might not look as good as you want them online. Pioneer pretty much said it above. It's not that the people who might be against the way things have turned out for LFS, it's just sad to see how things have changed, or not changed since 2009.

I think Rob can point out the low res car skins if he wants to.

I'm nearly not posting what I'm about to say, because I've said it so many times before.

It's kind of pointless to say that our way of working is 'toxic' or whatever else.

I don't claim that all decisions we have made in the past were the right ones. But we are working very hard on updates. You and we would like it if we could produce the results faster but it isn't possible. The only way that could be done is if we had several programmers and artists and a project manager. But we didn't want to run a company or work in a big company, which is precisely the reason that LFS exists at all. We like this way of working even if the results don't come thick and fast.

I realise that some people just can't understand or believe that software takes a long time to develop, and there isn't really any way to explain to them how that could be the case.

There are other products that are the result of large teams and you are obviously free to try them out. If you want to try the new version of LFS then you will have to wait. It's really as simple as that!

I feel almost silly saying this again but I have recently learned that if I don't then the conversation can turn extremely sour and doesn't benefit anyone.

I just want to add that I know most people do understand and are being very supportive, which is really great. Thank you! Smile
Quote from MousemanLV :Should point out more important things than telling how skins might not look as good as you want them online. Pioneer pretty much said it above. It's not that the people who might be against the way things have turned out for LFS, it's just sad to see how things have changed, or not changed since 2009.

You say things have not changed? i say you have selective memory !, updated blackwood and westhill with rockingham and the best full VR support along with many fixes regarding the ddos and other bugs.

The thing that is common between those complaining is they have not even tried the current product to its potential. Its quite funny to have some false sense of entitlement, you purchased LFS as is and anything added since is an extra
Quote from bishtop :You say things have not changed? i say you have selective memory !, updated blackwood and westhill with rockingham and the best full VR support along with many fixes regarding the ddos and other bugs.

The thing that is common between those complaining is they have not even tried the current product to its potential. Its quite funny to have some false sense of entitlement, you purchased LFS as is and anything added since is an extra

Just what's its full potential ?, doing 100 laps for 10 years every day on each track ? people have different tasts and some have their favorite track/car combination, without taking into account other factors ( life, jobs etc..)

I still believe for LFS case the slow development pace isn't the main cause of recent multiplayer activities, I mean..ahem..steam.... Petals.
Quote from lfsrm :...I mean..ahem..steam.... Petals.

They have said many times Steam isn't possible with current business model.
Quote from RC-Maus :They have said many times Steam isn't possible with current business model.

I know, but I think it's necessary to reconsider this option, even if they have to change their business legal status.

Unless if there is a better way..
I can't see any reason to consider Steam at this time. It seems to me a really terrible time to just stop developing, hire an accountant, set up a limited company and start integrating LFS with the Steam system. All this while using the old version of LFS which people will just insult because of the outdated graphics.

Please don't try to start explaining why I should stop development right now and dedicate my life to business structures and Steam integration, because I am not remotely interested in that and might as well jump off a cliff. Instead, I am doing what I like to do, currently that is working on a new lighting system.
Hope we get some quick peaks this month (maybe fernbay or south city)

Even when lightning isn't ready yet Wink
Quote from Scawen :I can't see any reason to consider Steam at this time. It seems to me a really terrible time to just stop developing, hire an accountant, set up a limited company and start integrating LFS with the Steam system. All this while using the old version of LFS which people will just insult because of the outdated graphics.

Please don't try to start explaining why I should stop development right now and dedicate my life to business structures and Steam integration, because I am not remotely interested in that and might as well jump off a cliff. Instead, I am doing what I like to do, currently that is working on a new lighting system.

Keep up the good work.
I am sure the end result will blow everyone away.
Quote from Scawen :I can't see any reason to consider Steam at this time. It seems to me a really terrible time to just stop developing, hire an accountant, set up a limited company and start integrating LFS with the Steam system. All this while using the old version of LFS which people will just insult because of the outdated graphics.

Sorry if I sounded like someone entitled to his opinion, it wasn't my intention at all, it sad me tho that other simulation take advantage of steam popularity to raise their userbase while many people ignore of the LFS existence, especially knowing the potential of Demo free licence.

Plus it's a great platform for their VR headset.

You are doing right focusing on LFS visual attractivity for now, the physics is fine considering the fictional content of LFS, I am 100% with your approach, we'll see how people will react after the update. Smile
Thanks, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Smile

I just don't want the thread to turn into something that is all about how to fix LFS or lamenting its demise and all this depressing stuff. It's a progress thread and there is a lot of progress going on, and in my opinion the work we are doing is the way to 'fix' LFS.

LFS had a time when it was very popular and then some other sims came along, some people tore most of their hair out when they couldn't use a certain front wheel drive car that has been delayed, and so on. I don't think it's really cause for great regret. Luckily we aren't the sort of people who think life is all about trying to figure out how to have a better income, so we are happy enough to carry on trying to finish this thing.
I'll die before I see some graphical update, I know
This is the final line, we just need to wait a little longer. Be positive and before you know it the things will get better. Wink
every time I check those threads everything repeats over and over again, people complain about updates and their life because of LFS as if everything depends on it and Scawen explains why it is not that easy and etc... Just let the man do his job already, for example, nobody asks when the update for a Facebook comes out, people just using it because there are no better alternatives (maybe a bad example, but you get my point). I like LFS how it is, how it was, and how it is going to be. Any other simulators I've tried has no soul as LFS has, other games are just like a conveyor, people play it for a year or two and then something new comes out and everybody forgets about the previous one and in general they are all almost the same with cars feel like a giant concrete block on wheels.

Tilt
Quote from numbazZ :every time I check those threads everything repeats over and over again, people complain about updates and their life because of LFS as if everything depends on it and Scawen explains why it is not that easy and etc... Just let the man do his job already, for example, nobody asks when the update for a Facebook comes out, people just using it because there are no better alternatives (maybe a bad example, but you get my point). I like LFS how it is, how it was, and how it is going to be. Any other simulators I've tried has no soul as LFS has, other games are just like a conveyor, people play it for a year or two and then something new comes out and everybody forgets about the previous one and in general they are all almost the same with cars feel like a giant concrete block on wheels.

Thumbs up
Fair enough but it is more than obvious that the pro racing scene is gone pretty much forever. The overall skill level is pretty low and the online scene is dominated by cruise servers. Reminds me of CS 1.6, it just kinda exists. Is it a bad thing? Oof, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Quote from bishtop :

Racing wise, still feels the same as it was in 2014. Could pretty much get within +0.4 within most WRs with XRR, still can. Too bad you can't extract setups like you could back then :kappa:. Oh well, at least you can use ridiculously low steering rotation (e.g. 240) and ~ 56 FOV to have an edge over other racers : )
Quote from MousemanLV :Fair enough but it is more than obvious that the pro racing scene is gone pretty much forever. The overall skill level is pretty low and the online scene is dominated by cruise servers. Reminds me of CS 1.6, it just kinda exists. Is it a bad thing? Oof, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You're obviously clueless then, get to race with a few WR holders often on our servers both in daily racing and weekly event, i reckon at least half of the racers would have more skill than you seem to have

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but that does not make your wild guess's and trying to pass as true, you last joined a server in early 2018 so anything you presume now is based on assumptions

The thing now is, on bl2 for example, more racers are at the top end of laptimes such as 1.11s, so its not as exclusive but hard to get still. its harder competition/races which is a bonus

@numbazzz I just see you repeating what others have already stated.
Quote from lfsrm :Just what's its full potential ?, doing 100 laps for 10 years every day on each track ? people have different tasts and some have their favorite track/car combination, without taking into account other factors ( life, jobs etc..)

I still believe for LFS case the slow development pace isn't the main cause of recent multiplayer activities, I mean..ahem..steam.... Petals.

Thats my point, most of the moaners have done about the equivalent of 50 laps a week and a total of 27475 laps w. Of cause people have their best combo's that are more enjoyable but what is gonna happen anyway when something is released, the moaners will do 100 laps and not bother again
The competition is closer because there are more average racers than alien racers. Except for Botsi and Excellent, they are rather active and capable of doing gr8 hotlaps.
It's great to hear about WR racers on servers, leagues, etc. I'm really pleased that LFS still has the rich, full online life that I remember many, many years ago.

But, as I get banned for having a ping greater than 100, welcome to the rest of the worlds LFS online experience.

I'm sure that 'when' the game finally get's it's physics update ( Plus whatever else is coming, VR for more immersive online racing.........,) It MAY start to grow in actual racer numbers. But till then it's a great cruise simulator. As it has been for many years in this part of the world.

FYI, don't bother telling me I haven't been online for ages, I am aware of that as I prefer to actually play racing games, rather than cruise/drift sims. Wave
Attached images
LFS current state.JPG
Quote from Racer X NZ :It's great to hear about WR racers on servers, leagues, etc. I'm really pleased that LFS still has the rich, full online life that I remember many, many years ago.

Randomly brought up memories of [AMG] AS3 w/ GTRs. The diversity back then was insane. Having servers both for GTRs, TBOs, GTIs and Open Wheelers to choose from and play on was too much fun. Falken Drift Server was a blast too, no bs, no dumb insim with a drift scorer, just everyone having a blast. Now even the drift servers have a biased community.
Quote from Scawen :I can't see any reason to consider Steam at this time. It seems to me a really terrible time to just stop developing, hire an accountant, set up a limited company and start integrating LFS with the Steam system.

I also am not in favor of this whole Steam thing.. But.. LFS lacks heavily with paying options though.

Last week I was in Riga, visited Cryptocash with help of coinatmradar.com (actually wanted to use ATM @Moscow but this one I needed to report as disappeared), could convert some cash Euro's into bitcoin. Its the cheapest and quickest method to transfer money around. One of the things why Steam got so popular is because of the global supported paying options. LFS also needs something like that otherwise it never gets removed from the dark side of the internet anymore. It must be really made easy for people to get rid of their money and get a license.
This thread is closed

April Progress Report
(209 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG