The online racing simulator
New LFS version 0.6U
(48 posts, started )
New LFS version 0.6U
Hello Racers,

Today we have an update for you with some important fixes and some new features. This is not the graphics update we have been talking about in recent progress reports. This one is fully compatible with the existing public version.

We decided to work on version U after learning about some issues with two new VR headsets that could actually cause eye strain, which made an update really important. We also fixed some other known bugs and took the opportunity to add some new features.

You can try a new setting for the cockpit views. Previously they were always aligned to the car but now you can lock the view to the horizon. Some people can experience motion sickness when driving a car in VR and this option can be a great help for them. With the view locked to the horizon you get a strong feeling of how the car is moving but it can be too much so there is an alternative setting to 'filter' the view. In this case the view still goes with the car's pitch and roll but there is a short time delay while the view catches up to the car. This is quite effective in showing how the car reacts to bumps.

For those of you who like to race offline, we have increased the number of AI drivers you can add and you can now set their skill levels individually in the race setup screen. The F11 and F12 in-game screens can now be used to adjust their live settings and pit strategy.

Read all about this update and how to install it on the Live for Speed version 0.6U page.

- LFS Developers

Thank you Scawen for this Version. All works greate expect the AI... They are really stupid. Whether Skill 1 or 5 they just Drive behind each other. Thats like my Grandpa drives on Sunday to the zoo. There is no Racing...
Well I didn't work on the AI driving skills in this version. But some people do like to race them, it is quite skillful to get round, working up through the field without them knocking you off the track. A bit like online racing. Big grin
Really love the attention to detail, its the little things that makes you happy. Heart

Quote from Stölzel :...All works greate expect the AI...

I kinda like them the way they are - cute and naive. Tongue
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :no translater i tried is actually translating : gear debounce on ANY language in any translater i tried.

Try latvian! Razz
Not sure how it fits,but that translation was made by 1st translator,who seems to be inactive now though.
If you need a hint, it's actually a fairly standard "button de-bounce", just in LFS it only applies to gear shifting.
I forgot to ask this question when it was a test patch, but anyway... I connected my old 4:3 monitor as the second screen and tried to set up a first-person camera view, but it is very close to the dash and I can't zoom it out a bit more. Camera position moved all the way to the back and FOV set to maximum 90 degrees, so why it is only 90 degree limit, when if using only one screen you can set all the way up to 160 degrees, which is useless Tilt
Attached images
IMG_20190314_002233.jpg
With a two monitor setup, if you have a left hand drive car then the better arrangement would be to put the side monitor on the right and you offset the main view to the right. Then you will have both mirrors there.

For a quick test, you could try your setup with a right hand drive car and it would probably look quite good.
Why do I need to unlock my LFS achter updating? I used the auto-updater from within 0.6T.
Quote from jfeelders (GoT) :Why do I need to unlock my LFS achter updating? I used the auto-updater from within 0.6T.

We always do that with a new patch.

But your user name and password should still be there so it should be just a click to unlock.

I forgot to restore everyone's 3 unlocks when the patch was released and have done that now.

Quote from THE WIZARD DK :EDIT: just checked in translation. that didnt get me less puzzled ?
Denne Wizard vil hjælpe dig med at opgradere %s til version %s.

because in there its correct?
EDIT2: pressed save on it.(finished for now).not sure if it works in next then? i dont get this at all.

Not too hard to figure this one out. Looks like Victor forgot to get the updated translations into the installers.
Just installed U to test it.

While sitting in the pit garage talking to someone that just installed LFS.
I noticed the seem in the walls in the pit garage sparkling.
little white dots/lines were flowing up and down the seem...
See attached image, was difficult to capture.

...maybe it always did, but this is the first I noticed it.

Also, is "If jump start, then spectate" new in this version or has it always been there?
This needs an on off toggle for host... as this will be very painful to run events, since EVERYONE, ALWAYS, jumps the light.
Attached images
LFSWhiteSpeckles2.png
No changes in the graphics or the multiplayer system (other than those listed).

The false start spectate is for internet races, not LAN and happens when you move more than 6 metres before the light goes green. It's to stop idiots driving through ramming everyone on the grid.
Quote from numbazZ :... FOV set to maximum 90 degrees, so why it is only 90 degree limit, when if using only one screen you can set all the way up to 160 degrees, which is useless Tilt

I have already asked this question. But got no answer. :-(
I don't know for sure the reason for the 90 degree limit for the main monitor. It may be that the maths for the side monitors could go crazy with excessive FOV, so it needed some kind of limit. I can't tell what issues might come up unless I look into it, which I won't do at the moment.

I don't remember ever hearing the limit was a problem. I think the multiple monitor view was designed for realistic FOV and I don't imagine anyone sits so close to their monitor that 90 degrees could be realistic. Your eyes would need to be closer to the screen than half its width. So I guess I was thinking that the limit would allow more than anyone could ever need.

I've used a two monitor setup for years and I use right hand drive cars, so the side monitor is on the left and it works well.

Attached image shows my settings.
Attached images
lfs_00000844.jpg
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen
Quote from Scawen :Well I didn't work on the AI driving skills in this version. But some people do like to race them, it is quite skillful to get round, working up through the field without them knocking you off the track. A bit like online racing. Big grin

Yes, the AI may not have changed ... .. but if you take
a mixing field of 5Level and 4Level AI's you can sometimes have a lot more interesting races. The whole thing is also a bit of luck .... because sometimes there is a worse "first corner war" than on the Internet Big grin

In any case, the AI Train is no longer recognizable after 1-2 laps. Great!

Sometimes it was really difficult to overtake them accident-free because they now started to overtake themselves and block the way. Rarely had such fun with the LFS AI!

A little fine update for me because I often use the AI.

(tested with XRT on Rockingham with various layouts.)

Thank you! Thumbs up
Quote from Stölzel :Thank you Scawen for this Version. All works greate expect the AI... They are really stupid. Whether Skill 1 or 5 they just Drive behind each other. Thats like my Grandpa drives on Sunday to the zoo. There is no Racing...

They can provide interesting challenges in certain tracks, like for example in FE3R the AI at level 5 drive the track around in 1.30-1.31 with UFR/XFR, whilst it's possible to lap the same track in 1.29-1.30 in LX6 if you're fast Big grin

I ended up doing 3-4 of 10 lap races in a row with full grid starting from the back with LX6 whilst i was testing view settings and gear debounce, the AI is only faster in T1 chicane and the long left hander after the bridge, so it provided really fun and close races Big grin Everything is working great, too, didn't notice any significant change with gear changes here

If it would be possible to have AI learn the track from the path that appears when you do enough laps around tracks, I suppose they would have a way to become faster and have more matching pace with a human driver. Smile
Any fix planned for the VR studder from the 100Hz / 90Hz difference? I’m not sure if it’s even possible.
It's not really possible in the current version but I do hope to sort out this issue in the future.

The proper solution seems somehow connected with a multithreaded system where the graphics and physics run on separate threads, making use of at least two CPU cores.

That's something I want to get onto but there is no way I can implement that in the current public version.
Quote from numbazZ :I forgot to ask this question when it was a test patch, but anyway... I connected my old 4:3 monitor as the second screen and tried to set up a first-person camera view, but it is very close to the dash and I can't zoom it out a bit more. Camera position moved all the way to the back and FOV set to maximum 90 degrees, so why it is only 90 degree limit, when if using only one screen you can set all the way up to 160 degrees, which is useless Tilt

You can use the screen-width options to work around it somewhat
Attached images
screenwidth.jpg
#20 - V_Ro
Many thanks to the LFS team...Thumbs up
You have made me very happy...Omg omg omg
Quote from Scawen :No changes in the graphics or the multiplayer system (other than those listed).

The false start spectate is for internet races, not LAN and happens when you move more than 6 metres before the light goes green. It's to stop idiots driving through ramming everyone on the grid.

Suggestion: Would that be possible to change? As if using custom grid which is not any kind of generic start grid, would it be chance to spectate from false start instantly? with command or some kind of thing...

...or... no spectate at all, for hardcore racing... or "hardcore racing" lol.
Quote from Scawen :No changes in the graphics or the multiplayer system (other than those listed).

Hey hey hey! You can't call us that! We're your customers. Now we can call you that all we want, but not the other way around.
WTF is wrong with you? That's not a very good business attitude dude. Yeah. you need to be politically correct. They aren't "idiots". They're ".......overly ambitious, low info consumers". Yeah. That. Call em that.
Quote from Racer Y :Hey hey hey! You can't call us that!

I can't think of a better adjective/attribute that describes a person ramming through everyone before the race starts other than idiot. I do not think pretending they're "low info consumers" is gonna make anything different, will it?

- Thanks for the improvements at 0.6U Smile
Quote from Racer Y :you need to be politically correct.

Then proper term would be intelectually handicapped. Shrug
I ask me also if there will be (in future) a function to draw AI Lines by self so the AI can then also Drive Autocross Tracks?

New LFS version 0.6U
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG