The online racing simulator
Graphics Progress Report: Rockingham
(111 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Flotch :try to imagine Fern Bay ...
Petals

Really looking forward to an updated Fern Bay. I hope that the infamous chicane will be gone and I can finish a race without doing a salto...

Btw, did Fern Bay ever get an update? I feel like is hasn't changed since S1.
Keep the chicane please Big grin
Quote from three_jump :Really looking forward to an updated Fern Bay.

True, maybe with few more open config roads :o
Quote from Scawen :Hmm, the plants and earth really look amazing in the real photo Smile and the tarmac seems cleaner in the real photo, than in LFS.

Strangely the kerb glare in LFS looks more realistic than the real thing! Face -> palm

XDD ohBig grin I should have read the text first)))
Quote from three_jump :...
Btw, did Fern Bay ever get an update? I feel like is hasn't changed since S1.

only the palm trees iirc Smile
Looks very nice! Smile The roads look photorealistic, sometimes even better than the real photo counterpart. The thing that gives away which photo is real and not is the grass, but it looks great too.
Quote from Flotch :only the palm trees iirc Smile

I edit my comment : just tested the LX8 version of LFS, and Fern Bay has evoluated a bit more than just the palm trees Wink ... clearly Smile
But seeing what Eric has done on Blackwood and Rockingham ... Fern Bay 2.0 will be great Big grin
our sons will enjoy this updates, hopefully...
Quote from Scawen :I keep getting that question.

It somehow seems a bit of an annoying question, because it is quite obvious that many of the cars need to be updated (have a look at the RB4 for the most extreme example) but we are on the tracks at the moment. There is only one Eric. He does one thing and then another. Not both at the same time. It is obvious that he would not have failed to notice that the cars and drivers could do with an update.

What I do keep saying, every time I get this question, is that the tracks MUST be updated before we can do a release of the new graphical system, because with the new system, the graphics and shadows are broken unless the tracks are updated. So if we released now, you would have a game full of bugs. But the cars are no worse than they were before. Therefore they do not stop us doing a release.

This means, the cars have a lower priority than the tracks. There is no reason to delay the release by several more months in order to update all the cars. It is a separate subject, though it is quite obvious that they need an update.

My bad, I don't usually check the forums, but thank you for taking the time to respond, the new graphics are amazing Thumbs up
Quote from Flotch :try to imagine Fern Bay ...
Petals

For me Fern Bay is very nice with Revolution Pack so this is maybe the last track who i wanna to see after the track update. Big grin
Attached images
ded0E.jpg
Quote from theodu69 :My bad, I don't usually check the forums, but thank you for taking the time to respond, the new graphics are amazing Thumbs up

Thanks! I need to remember that every time someone asks the same question, for each of them it was the first time! Big grin

I do know what you mean that although the cars don't look any worse than before, and in fact look better now with the self-shadowing and improved lighting, they can start to stick out when everything around them is up to a more modern standard.

Anyway I am sure that Eric is very keen to update cars when the tracks are done. I believe he could update some of them and we could do another patch some time after the tracks release. It shouldn't be necessary to update all cars at once. Ideally the oldest ones would be done first. But I'm not saying that's what will happen, because it depends what comes up and what seems to be the best thing to do at the time.
Thanks for the update!
Quote from Big Daddy :
This video might be an indicator how Fern Bay will look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viOeRHa8_yo

I would expect it may look even better.
Lynce is an amazing artist and she has done some great work with textures, but there was only so much she could do with low poly counts on scenery etc.
Cant wait to see what Eric has in store for us. I love the subtle details he puts in to the tracks.
Its the little imperfections that make them look more realistic.

Thank you Scawen for the update and also Degats for the comparison shots!
Thx for the preview!Thumbs up
@Scawen: Thats is right what you 2 do...
First Update the Tracks (btw: Excellent Work Wink ) and then if all works fine with the Tracks you can overhaul the Cars. And first after this you can back to work on other things like Weather? or Seasons? or what i dont know... Do what you think is right (and i know you know what is right) Wink

Im a First-Time LFS Player (not really active in the Forums) but i follow every progress and i can say that LFS (also you) are one of the best Developers. Not the fastest but you do your work as it is your Baby Smile
It really looks very good. It's an awesome improvement guys, it's a really interesting update, from my pov, there are some pictures that looks better than in real life.

Just a question @Scawen, will the new light and shadow system help to create a night version? I mean, to add some lights to the cars and play it at night, because now that you guys are updating every shadow, I think that it will work very well.

Nice work, keep them up!
Quote from borja_s13 :Just a question @Scawen, will the new light and shadow system help to create a night version? I mean, to add some lights to the cars and play it at night, because now that you guys are updating every shadow, I think that it will work very well.

Obviously I'm not Scawen, but I suspect that this is a step into proper day/night simulation. However shadows are just one thing, you'd need to add lights to all cars and probably some more track objects. Sun is still fixed in LFS as far as I know, so that would have to move around the earth as well. Wink
Also... we do not know what else is on his todo list. All we know is that the list is probably a book by now.
Quote from Scawen :Strangely the kerb glare in LFS looks more realistic than the real thing! Face -> palm

The real life image looks slightly over-exposed to me so that's why the kerb looks overly bright.
Is that actually water? It's in the wet grip area.
If there will be Weather (Rain, Snow etc.) and also Day/Night then i hope that the Water on the Track is Dynamic like in Forza that you get Aquaplaning if you Drive fast trought a puddle and the Water Flows off the Track into the Gutters.

What would be funny is if you can Control the Weather so in a Online Race you can say: "Now its Start Raining and the Track goes Wet and more Wet." (based on how long and strange its Raining).

@mbutcher: Currently there is no Water.
This thread is closed

Graphics Progress Report: Rockingham
(111 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG