The online racing simulator
Major layout Editor addons
(26 posts, started )
The game needs a major editor makeover , let the end user create their content , we need to be able to create realistic tracks .

sections of pre-made roads :
-straights___________________________________Pitch/length
-Turns_______________________________________Pitch/Radius
-Curves up (jump)____________________________height/width
-Curves down (drop)__________________________height/width
-Turn sections ______________________________Pitch/Radius
-Turn up_____________________________________height/Radius
-Turn down___________________________________height/Radius
-banked turns________________________________height/Radius
-banked turns entrance sections(twist)_______height/Length
-Curved walls________________________________height/Radius
-corner vibrors for flat car park tarmac____________Radius

-trees/bushes
-grass/sand/water/asphalt/concrete/and color textures for all ''concrete'' components
-able to select 100objects
-function to Flip/mirror the selection as one component
-ideally being able to create and save selections as if it was one object

of course we all want new cars , but at least if we had different tracks to not get bored that would be great.

might seem like asking for allot , but i think its less than asking for the developer to release 2 new tracks , and it will give players freedom of creativity and much more track possibility overall

removing the new editor selection outlines , always being able to see and move the selection like before would be great too .. (clarification: as soon as we select something we see where we move it)

thanks whoever still read this . hopefully the devs Thumbs up
YES
+1 please fix
+2fix pls
Nah I dunno tbh. Anything build with the concrete slabs atm is quite horrendous to drive on because the sharp edges, clipping textures and overall low level of realism. Making more building blocks to drive on doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If they are gonna make a track editor they better make a terrain editor with bezier curved roads as seen in for example Arma, Crysis or BeamNG.
#6 - Racon
Quote from Drift ACE :...

Releasing a track editor is the intention, but it will be when LFS is considered a finished product, so after tyre physics, after the graphical update, etc. It will also require quite an overhaul. (These are things Scawen has said previously)

Quote from Drift ACE :

You can save the current selection when you clear a layout by holding down the shift key. You can then place it and save it as a new layout with just those objects. It'd be nice to have a quick and easy load/save, but it's not impossible. 30 is a limit because of the packet size, there would be a lot of yak-shaving involved to change it. But...

It's also now possible to read object selections with InSim, so a load/save groups of more than 30 is possible now with a little programming. You'd just have buttons to add/remove the current selection to the group and build it up 30 at a time, load and save as lyt files. I'll make it myself if no-one else has by the time I get enough free time to bodge it together Smile

Quote from Drift ACE :
removing the new editor selection outlines , always being able to see and move the selection like before would be great too .. (clarification: as soon as we select something we see where we move it)

They're hidden while the ALT key is pressed.
Quote from Racon :They're hidden while the ALT key is pressed.

I think he meant the automatic preview "in hand" objects when selected, as it was in the old editor.
Quote from Drift ACE :(clarification: as soon as we select something we see where we move it)

Quote from Draggo :I think he meant the automatic preview "in hand" objects when selected, as it was in the old editor.

Exactly ^^
Quote from pärtan :Nah I dunno tbh. Anything build with the concrete slabs atm is quite horrendous to drive on because the sharp edges, clipping textures and overall low level of realism. Making more building blocks to drive on doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If they are gonna make a track editor they better make a terrain editor with bezier curved roads as seen in for example Arma, Crysis or BeamNG.

you should see the tracks i pull out , pretty smooth terrains , but ye still bumpy at places , and that takes the whole 2100objects for a small layout ..and that concrete grip as if it was ice is less than ideal

just for example , 1 banked corner doing 180degres takes 300objects , and its still not as smooth as we expect Frown
Quote from Draggo :I think he meant the automatic preview "in hand" objects when selected, as it was in the old editor.

Quote from Drift ACE :Exactly ^^

...then CTRL-C to toggle that.
Quote from Drift ACE :you should see the tracks i pull out , pretty smooth terrains , but ye still bumpy at places , and that takes the whole 2100objects for a small layout ..and that concrete grip as if it was ice is less than ideal

just for example , 1 banked corner doing 180degres takes 300objects , and its still not as smooth as we expect Frown

Actually:

( 180 / 1.4 ) + ( 90 / 1.4 x 2 ) + ( 60 / 1.4 x 2 ) + ( 30 / 1.4 x 2 ) + Plausible entrance objects( About 40 ) =
128 + 128 + 85 + 42 + 40 = 423 Objects, if you want so-called "superfine" smooth corner, yet still won't be enough smooth due every layout object turns 1.4 degrees. Things would be smoother of course if one object would turn 0,7 degrees only each time.

If wanting Speedway with 2 similar corners: 846 objects + Every other objects depending length and other aspects, it is quickly drained 1500 objects.

Yes, it won't do same as complete track editor, but as I have said several times: Tracks are for salt, and Layouts are for other spices.
Quote from Racon :...then CTRL-C to toggle that.

in my opinion ctrl+c is less efficient.

for example:

selecting and moving objects in old editor
1. select objects (crtl+click, left or right crtl)
2. rotate/adjust (< > keys, or mouse)
3. place object (O)
repeat or no

selecting and moving objects in new editor
1. select objects (crtl+click or ctrl+draw rectangle, left or right crtl)
2. make them visible in hand (ctrl+c, left [requiers large hand or small keyboard Big grin] or right crtl)
3. rotate/adjust (< > keys, or mouse)
4. place object (O, if you want to continue with selected objects do not use ctrl+v beacuse it discard selection, so next "loop" will be like in old editor)
repeat or no

So more efficient is 3 stage way
I agree these suggestions will make the game much more flexible (a bit like when concrete objects and Z-control were first added) and will be beneficial especially to cruise layouts.

To complement those roads, I think every physical object should have the option to be rotated on all axis so they can be placed on non-flat surfaces. Chalk lines and barriers should also have curving options, not just concrete objects.

Also since height matters more and we're talking about the editor, I'd be glad if we could just place objects on top of existing objects, inheriting their rotation and height (so you could move your cursor on a piece of flying road and have the ghost object already at the same height without you having to place it on the ground first, then setting the Z value).
I would like also to have "replace" functionality. Sometimes i want to replace an object with another. The effort is to position the new object exactly in the same place than the old. Here I would like the "replace".

For example brake sign marks 50, 75, 100...sometimes I use old layout as a base for new track, and lets say I need to replace 50 with 75, 75 with 100 etc.

...Or somebody would ask, why we have many separate distance signs, why we don't have just one sign with different values ("colors"), 50 would be one color, 75 another color, so I can just change the "color" of the sign.
Also needs ability to free select and group multiple objects (or an entire layout track) as one model and be able to import or export. @Lucaf would help, yes? Smile

In future we would like to see 1x1 free expandable objects via 8 way axis that allows us to manipulate this "object" into however shape we like. And then need a cmyk paint tool as well as texture and polygon editor.

In short:
Group select and group model
Import/export and/or ability to export to external program like 3ds or Sketchup ectra
Paint tool
Polygon/plane tool
Texture editor
Single object 8 point resziable
Gyro rotation for each object
Ability to select precision of movement, instead of current 1 stud to 1 stud maybe 1 stud, 0.5 and infinite.
Ability to alter part friction and reflection
Ability to mesh objects
Quote from lucaf :...why we don't have just one sign with different values ("colors"), 50 would be one color, 75 another color, so I can just change the "color" of the sign.

Not so good alternative is to just use coloured concrete wall - Blue for distance furthest from corner, Yellow for closer to corner, and Red for if you don't brake now, you'll be in the wall.

Course, you have to place them in such a way that no one drives into them - hitting concrete is lot worse than hitting distance sign that bounces away.

Not sure why you can't get green too for concrete as you do for cones and tyres.
Quote from sinanju :Not sure why you can't get green too for concrete as you do for cones and tyres.

Scawen said he's limited to 4 colors for concrete objects due the way they're saved in layout file.
Quote from sinanju :Not so good alternative is to just use coloured concrete wall - Blue for distance furthest from corner, Yellow for closer to corner, and Red for if you don't brake now, you'll be in the wall.

That is a nice idea!
Read my above wishlist and you'll find out one of the wishes is to have cmyk color options for a "plain part". No more concrete, red barrier, white barrier. All achieved using texture list. And for plain part object it can be colored in tbe color wheel of cmyk.
Quote from MicroSpecV :Also needs ability to free select and group multiple objects (or an entire layout track) as one model and be able to import or export. @Lucaf would help, yes? Smile

This would be very nice. Currently LFS Lazy contains a feature that you can save a selection into a "block". Too bad it doesn't work for me Frown When I save a block, it still doesn't display in the list of saved blocks.

So what I do when I want to reuse an existing set of max 30 objects from another layout, I load the layout containing those objects, do a multi selection, then reload my working layout and I have the wanted selection in my hand (if other layout is not same track, I rename the layout to match the track I work, so I can get the layout visible in the "load layout" list)
Quote from Drift ACE :-trees/bushes
-grass/sand/water/asphalt/concrete/and color textures for all ''concrete'' components

These ideas are what I would like to see implemented, as well. It would be great to save a created object like you can save engine sounds would help a lot in layout making, since you could have a stock of user created objects to fill the track surroundings with easier.

It would also be nice to have a definable friction on the surface alongside with selectable texture for it, you could add more variety in the layouts, ice racing, rallying or almost anything would be possible that way. Big grin
#22 - R-to
2022 and nothing happened... im so sad :,,,(
This is so great suggestion.. all we need is tools to build new tracks in the existing LFS layout editor. Let the LFS community build live for speed alive. First thing what our minds was after the LFS Editor that now we want better layout/track editor! Give the tools for us! SCAWEN, give us what we need Heart LFS

Quote from Drift ACE :The game needs a major editor makeover , let the end user create their content , we need to be able to create realistic tracks .

sections of pre-made roads :
-straights___________________________________Pitch/length
-Turns_______________________________________Pitch/Radius
-Curves up (jump)____________________________height/width
-Curves down (drop)__________________________height/width
-Turn sections ______________________________Pitch/Radius
-Turn up_____________________________________height/Radius
-Turn down___________________________________height/Radius
-banked turns________________________________height/Radius
-banked turns entrance sections(twist)_______height/Length
-Curved walls________________________________height/Radius
-corner vibrors for flat car park tarmac____________Radius

-trees/bushes

of course we all want new cars , but at least if we had different tracks to not get bored that would be great.

might seem like asking for allot , but i think its less than asking for the developer to release 2 new tracks , and it will give players freedom of creativity and much more track possibility overall

thanks whoever still read this . hopefully the devs Thumbs up

Scawen and co probably reading this with a sense of dread at the sheer amount of scope creep that would happen if they even started to make a basic track editor.

However when I think about it, sure development time could be spent on Physics, but LFS already has great physics, time could be spent on cars, but LFS already has a large variety of vehicles now, a new map sure but if we had a map editor we'd probably have 100 new maps same as vehicles.

So, actually, yes I think a map editor would be the next natural evolution of LFS.

The execution however I think is also important, I should imagine map making is pretty involved and most of us are not game developers. Perhaps some procedural tools to complement standard 3D objects would be good such as the ability to draw road curves and have scenery etc follow the curves. There are many games with world editors that do these kind of things.
Quote from tommer :Scawen and co probably reading this with a sense of dread at the sheer amount of scope creep that would happen if they even started to make a basic track editor.

However when I think about it, sure development time could be spent on Physics, but LFS already has great physics, time could be spent on cars, but LFS already has a large variety of vehicles now, a new map sure but if we had a map editor we'd probably have 100 new maps same as vehicles.

So, actually, yes I think a map editor would be the next natural evolution of LFS.

The execution however I think is also important, I should imagine map making is pretty involved and most of us are not game developers. Perhaps some procedural tools to complement standard 3D objects would be good such as the ability to draw road curves and have scenery etc follow the curves. There are many games with world editors that do these kind of things.

This would be nice. But I think really it would be sufficient with whatever the devs use currently to create the tracks and having it be model based. For smaller download size it could also be limited to existing ingame textures which can be repurpused for new tracks. There is a bit of a variety in the textures already. The main difficulty apart from 3d modelling the maps would be to struggle with the lfs texture mapping Big grin but maybe uv support could be implemented.
So what I do when I want to reuse an existing set of max 30 objects from another layout, I load the layout containing those objects, do a multi selection, then reload my working layout and I have the wanted selection in my hand (if other layout is not same track, I rename the layout to match the track I work, so I can get the layout visible in the "load layout" list)

(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG