The online racing simulator
Even lower graphics settings
(31 posts, started )
First off, im using an old computer. An *old* computer. Its running at 3 ghz with Vista. Yes. Vista. With a NVIDIA GeForce 2something sloww onboard graphics card. Im getting *dont roast me pls* 30 fps with 12 fps drops. When it gets to 12 fps the sound really and truly screws up. Is there any even lower settings I can put LFS to increase the fps to around 50? I already have aa off and all that. Lowest graphics settings i can get. I was just curious, maybe a low end shader pack? Or an older ver. of LFS? Shrug
Lowest screen resolution you can have.
Turn off post process
Put the graphics through the floor.
In options - misc - dynamic LOD reduction - set to max. That would help,but will convert cars a bit further away into ugly boxes. Also multiplayer speedup option to yes and set around 100m - but that helps only in online mode.
Also in graphics user/dust LOD - down to minimum could help.
#4 - nacim
Also, in the Misc options, make sure "Post processing" is disabled, it's really hard on the GPU, because it also force MSAA (anti aliasing) to 4x
Make sure your resolution is low enough, that will always help. A Geforce 2 might have been bearable 10 years ago with it's 64mb but this card is from circa 2000 so it's almost 20 years old now unfortunately. Vista will eat most of your resources as well so you might want to upgrade. Make sure your textures are compressed in the graphic tab and "use the Force" (F) if it gets too low.

As for an older version of LFS, the developers made a revision of the S1 many years ago that would suit your computer with much more ease:
https://www.lfs.net/file_archive.php?name=5

There are more files like this in the download section.
why not replace it for an actual game graphics card? Should cost just a few bucks for a 2nd hand Ebay card.
He's probably on a PCI or AGP slot though so he won't find a substantial improvement on performance Frown
Hmm I doubt he is running LFS with a Geforce 2 card because that card only supports up to DX7 and he is online at [LCS] Cruise Server (=0.6R which needs DX9.0c minimum). I think he was trying to say Geforce 2XX card.

Either way, insufficient information to give proper advice.
I ran LFS on a geforce 4 MX around 2004 and I though the poor chap was on something like this!

I guess more and more people might struggle on their ageing rigs when *due* graphic overhaul comes. Perhaps an even lower LOD might be welcome for those.
Turn off mirrors
Quote from Skytrill :and I though the poor chap was on something like this!

Well.. According to the kid(s) on the internet it is comparable;

Quote from liveforspeedracer101 :Its running at 3 ghz with Vista. Yes. Vista. With a NVIDIA GeForce 2something sloww onboard graphics card.

A second hand computer with double performance compared to yours, would cost some 20-30$. Thats almost sounds like a troll, that someone installs LFS into a 15year old PC and asks here tips for making it work.

But you were asking if older version of LFS could help. The answer is YES. Because the latest LFS version has remastered Blackwood wich eats much more hw resources than the previous version. So my advice is, install previous version of LFS, or even better, install a much more older version: https://www.lfs.net/archive
Well first of all this is NOT a troll. Second of all, find me a second hand computer with double performance for 25$. Third of all, will old versions of LFS work on multiplayer? Thats mainly what I use lfs for.
Also I upgraded my computer w/clean install to Windows 10, nearly blew up but i got it on there Rofl
18-25 fps now with low settings, good enough 4 me xD
Lucaf, i'd like to inform you it's an integrated video card meaning he's left with no other option but to swap his CPU or get a new pc. But, for his condition a CPU swap is hopeless since he got the top model of such CPU.

A double performance for 25$ wouldn't be rational to think of either, though. You best be off for 90$> THEN you get something promising
Now w8 up- i think i do have slot for it.... There is a lot here, ill send pic of inside tomorrow.
According to this thread, Nvidia GT240 graphic card would be a realistic option for your computer. However, its possible that your original power supply will fail with an additional graphic card. I think your pc has 300w power supply, and GT 240 may require 350w... fingers crossed! (the guy in the linked thread was pointing that GT240 would not require power supply upgrade)

According to this comparison, GT 240 is much less bad than the integrated graphic chip you currently use

Example installation (not exactly identical model, but the basics are those, you install the card in the PCI EXPRESS slot of your motherboard. GT 240 doesn't require extra power connector)
Ill try to look for ones on Ebay without bids- i try to stay away from bids as they get higher over time and at the last 5 minutes so you end up paying like twice the starting price. Thanks alot! xD
But will old LFS work on multiplayer? Cause I'd rather do that as my pc is so old and it can only take so much graphic card upgrades xD... Also Im gonna have a tough time getting my parents to buy me a graphics card or I would already have s2 :/
old LFS probably works on multiplayer in theory, but you dont see the same servers, you probably dont see any servers or maybe 1-5 abandoned ones
These servers I see with the previous LFS version 0.6Q7 with old blackwood

WELP that wont work i suppose...
I would get the new graphics card but i legit can't afford it.
I guess I'll have 2 live with the bad FPS. Thing is, when it gets low, which happens quite often, the sound screws up and starts repeating, like vrr-vrr-vrr-vrr-vrr then it kinda overlaps and gets really more like ear rape than car sound. Any way to fix it?
Since Blackwood is probably the most resource hungry track (it was re-designed a year ago), one solution is to buy S1 license and enjoy the beautiful and more lightweight Fern Bay track with great cars (this tip is valid until next LFS release wich "they say" may contain new graphics)

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG