The online racing simulator
Small upgrades for my dell?
(10 posts, started )
Currently, I have a dell 4600. My motherboard has AGP 8x/4x/2x, socket 478, supports HT and 800mhz FSB. I currently have a 9600XT, and 2.8ghz P4 prescott, 533FSB. I was considering getting a new video card and cpu, before I just build a new computer altogether eventually. For a video card, I was thinking either a X800GTO 256MB, or a X1600PRO512MB. I am leaning more towards the X1600PRO. For a CPU, which I may not upgrade, I was thinking an HT, 3.0GHz 800FSB presscott.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... .asp?Item=N82E16814161005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... .asp?Item=N82E16819116175

Of course, the other option is to get a new motherboard, and a new case, and then overclock the cpu.
My dell appears to just have a regular ATX power supply, maybe I can just buy a more powerfull one?
I was trying to search a bit on internet but I couldnt find any info about this system so I dont know how far the system is upgradable.

EDIT:I found it have just 250W power supply which is really not enought if you going to upgrade.It seems the PSU can be upgraded as well.
You need at least some 400W brand PSU with at least 18-20A on +12V rail.
tbh i've never seen or heard of such a product before now, but it strikes me as both a space and airflow hungry way of solving a PSU shortfall, and it only gives power to the SLi socket...

I'd rather get a decent single power supply myself.
Dell change the pin order on their PSU's, so you cannot upgrade them (unless you have lots of free time), however, I know a few people who have run gefo6's on a Dell with the crappy 250w PSU.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Dell change the pin order on their PSU's, so you cannot upgrade them (unless you have lots of free time), however, I know a few people who have run gefo6's on a Dell with the crappy 250w PSU.

Whats the PIN order has to upgradfe with PSU unless they use special motherboards for that as well.He could just simply replace the PSU.

Running GF6800 or the other cards on 250W is real suice if you want to burn your PSU not even talking about the other componnets.That was not really wise recomendation.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Whats the PIN order has to upgradfe with PSU unless they use special motherboards for that as well.He could just simply replace the PSU.

Running GF6800 or the other cards on 250W is real suice if you want to burn your PSU not even talking about the other componnets.That was not really wise recomendation.

It means just that, they have a specific order for the pins into the mobo. It prevents people upgrading their Dell so they buy a new one. They used to change more hardware to a special style, but it cost them too much getting custom made ram, graphics cards and such, so they just went with stopping you from changing the mobo and PSU.

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG