The online racing simulator
Rockingham track
(19 posts, started )
Rockingham track
Hi, I recently installed this game, All circuits have inverse mode but Rockingham which has only 1 side to go, is it ok or is it a bug? why does this circuit only have 1 side to go?
demo dont have... o wait
#4 - Racon
It's not a bug, but I forget the reason why it's like that. If you want to race the other way, you can use the X version and make a custom layout - you'd just need to place the splits, finish line and some starting positions.
Becourse it's a real track and irl it doesn't have reverse???

But I think thats the reason Cool

Anyway in open config anything is possible
#6 - Racon
Or a combination of that and licencing? I was thinking that it was the one-way style gap in the barriers, but then I remembered we've got those on Westhill, too.
Quote from Racon :Or a combination of that and licencing? I was thinking that it was the one-way style gap in the barriers, but then I remembered we've got those on Westhill, too.

Quote from RC-Maus :Becourse it's a real track and irl it doesn't have reverse???

But I think thats the reason Cool

Anyway in open config anything is possible

Yes! This is the most likely reason of it

This means you can have any kind of track, it is just not formalized via LFS World
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Yes! This is the most likely reason of it

This means you can have any kind of track, it is just not formalized via LFS World

ok, so as it is a real track the owners have the rights to only allow LFS to use it in 1 way? so are the others tracks just created by LFS programmers (Blackwood, city etc) aren´t those real tracks?
I don't know the reason for Rockingham not having a reverse option but all of the other tracks in LFS are not real tracks.
Quote from PlSTOL :ok, so as it is a real track the owners have the rights to only allow LFS to use it in 1 way? so are the others tracks just created by LFS programmers (Blackwood, city etc) aren´t those real tracks?

It's allowed to have to use any direction, just official track combination of reversed configuration in Rockingham, is not supported by LFS World, because it is recreated from real life existing track, which sets on rules that in real life, Rockingham is not supported to drive in reversed version due the safety issues, as it was built only to support one way.

I do not know why, but that's the reason.
It has to do with the side of the car that the driver sits on - for safety, they try to design the fastest sections of the track with the track barriers on the opposite side from where the driver sits.

To use oval-racing as the clearest example; in Nascar they go anticlockwise which puts the left-handed drivers' position on the inside of the track - in Auscar, the drivers are sitting on the right so they race clockwise.

On tracks where an infield circuit connects to a super-speedway, the direction of the super speedway section generally dictates the direction of racing.
Quote from Shirtkicker :It has to do with the side of the car that the driver sits on - for safety, they try to design the fastest sections of the track with the track barriers on the opposite side from where the driver sits.

To use oval-racing as the clearest example; in Nascar they go anticlockwise which puts the left-handed drivers' position on the inside of the track - in Auscar, the drivers are sitting on the right so they race clockwise.

On tracks where an infield circuit connects to a super-speedway, the direction of the super speedway section generally dictates the direction of racing.

yes, it makes sense, but due LFS has already an Oval track I was wondering why they haven´t added that INV option in Oval - Rockingham too so on the others Rockingham traces, after all it is just a game... pity.
No, it's a simulator. And it wants to simulate the real world as good as possible.

If you try to land an aircraft the wrong way you have big problems as well in a flight sim. It's just logic.
Quote from PlSTOL :yes, it makes sense, but due LFS has already an Oval track I was wondering why they haven´t added that INV option in Oval - Rockingham too so on the others Rockingham traces, after all it is just a game... pity.

I see what you mean, true - the oval at least should run both ways. Excluding the oval, i was thinking it could be that as R'ham is a real-world circuit, Eric hasn't had the luxury of being able to remove exploits that become available in reverse layouts, maybe?
Quote from Shirtkicker :I see what you mean, true - the oval at least should run both ways. Excluding the oval, i was thinking it could be that as R'ham is a real-world circuit, Eric hasn't had the luxury of being able to remove exploits that become available in reverse layouts, maybe?

No, oval is either built clockwise or anticlockwise. Rarely on both way. Safety barriers will be issue in that point as well as exit routes for marshalls and vehicles for clean-up is built on GO-way, to prevent any fatal impacts due the barriers.

check out some news, it is told there several times on many different accidents.

IT IS possible to build oval which supports both ways, but the required time for marshals and their vehicles will be increased till they get on track for doing their job.
So it is real-world constraints that prevent racing in the opposing direction irl, but fatal accidents don't factor in game/sim life, other than your leaderboard standing. which is why I'm thinking it might be exploits, which are hard to do on an oval...

tbh, I've don't think i've ever driven R'ham in reverse now i've thought about it, so I wouldn't really know... Big grin

Maybe they only digitised it while only going in one direction? XD
Quote from Shirtkicker :So it is real-world constraints that prevent racing in the opposing direction irl, but fatal accidents don't factor in game/sim life, other than your leaderboard standing. which is why I'm thinking it might be exploits, which are hard to do on an oval...

tbh, I've don't think i've ever driven R'ham in reverse now i've thought about it, so I wouldn't really know... Big grin

Maybe they only digitised it while only going in one direction? XD

Something like that, with addition of real life rule lol Tongue ( and also licensing )
Quote from PlSTOL :Hi, I recently installed this game, All circuits have inverse mode but Rockingham which has only 1 side to go, is it ok or is it a bug? why does this circuit only have 1 side to go?

It is supposed to be driven only in one way irl, and so the kerbs/barriers are not adapted to reverse driving.

edit :
Quote from Scawen :I don't really know what you mean by a licensing thing. I suppose you imagine we wanted to do it, asked Rockingham and they denied it. But no such conversation took place! It's simply that we don't want to add unrealistic things if possible. Reverse configs at real tracks are often dangerous because of the design of the barriers. Using the recently added start positions, we think you can simply use a layout to create reverse configurations.

Ahh, so it does not have any issue about licensing, but more like I thought in other hand about it would be unrealistic.

But then again... lol

EDIT: I did read more about the thread and indeed it is not at all about license issue, so I wonder how I got that in my head even though I am supposed to be aware it's not that at all lol. Brains malfunction

Rockingham track
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG