The online racing simulator
Quote from BeNoM :So then .vob mods would be allowed?

I don't think so - technically .vob mod is a modification of an existing and in use .vob file. Why modify if (I suppose then) you can add extra cars?

Quote from MousemanLV :This ''DRIFTING FROM HELL'' video has 600'000+ views on yT and has just .vob mods!

And such videos are the reason why average Joe who sees LFS for the first time thinks it's a modding game rather then racing simulator,thus giving wrong impression about LFS.
But it still might attract more people to the game despite giving the wrong impression. I mean, if the video has achieved that many views then there's obviously something done right?!
Quote from Eclipsed :And such videos are the reason why average Joe who sees LFS for the first time thinks it's a modding game rather then racing simulator,thus giving wrong impression about LFS.

agree
Quote from MousemanLV :But it still might attract more people to the game despite giving the wrong impression.

And then majority of these attracted people leaves dissapointed when they found out that these mods are not supported officially and they can't control the cars for $#!t.
Quote from MousemanLV :I mean, if the video has achieved that many views then there's obviously something done right?!

Well,Justin Bieber has also attracted many fans,I hardly see what he has done something right,except signing a good manager,who can bring every $#!t out in marker and call it music. Shrug
well rip mauze baned 4 vob
Quote from Eclipsed :Well,Justin Bieber has also attracted many fans,I hardly see what he has done something right,except signing a good manager,who can bring every $#!t out in marker and call it music. Shrug

Yes, VOB mods are poor quality, but it's mostly people don't have the right tool and it's not officially supported so qualified people doesn't want to work on it for nothing. I'd convert a lot of cars and track if it was officially supported! And I'd spend a lot of time making them look right for the game.
Quote from nacim :Yes, VOB mods are poor quality, but it's mostly people don't have the right tool and it's not officially supported so qualified people doesn't want to work on it for nothing. I'd convert a lot of cars and track if it was officially supported! And I'd spend a lot of time making them look right for the game.

Not all VOB mods, some are 10x the quality of original models. Maybe VOB mods from 2011 are crap quality lel
I believe the site was called driftmods? They had some really nice mods there.
I don't think we're allowed to mention mods sites, I'm not 100% sure though. But there was a mod site which was called lfsmods.com and had thousands of vob mods, that site shut down around 3 years ago though.

There's a lot of really cool and high quality mods, it's a bit sad that mods aren't allowed Frown
Yeah, LFSMods was really cool, but there were only few model with correct textures, precomputed ambiant occlusion and and such.
Figured this was relevant to this thread.

Quote from BeNoM :I don't think we're allowed to mention mods sites, I'm not 100% sure though. But there was a mod site which was called lfsmods.com and had thousands of vob mods, that site shut down around 3 years ago though.

There's a lot of really cool and high quality mods, it's a bit sad that mods aren't allowed Frown

have one guy, he still alive since 2009 with vob mods and looks good some projects
im just sad because this is not allowed
many people use it
Quote from MacedoSTI :have one guy, he still alive since 2009 with vob mods and looks good some projects
many people use it

Macedo, LM mods rocks! LFS would be so much better with it's mods.

By the way, i've been playing LFS demo since 2010. Now, i just bought the S2 licese and i am very disapointed with the number of servers Frown seems like i lost the train.
Quote from storckjunior :Macedo, LM mods rocks! LFS would be so much better with it's mods.

By the way, i've been playing LFS demo since 2010. Now, i just bought the S2 licese and i am very disapointed with the number of servers Frown seems like i lost the train.

yea man its like complaining at buying vhs.

nowadays most servers are s3
Quote from driftbrk :
nowadays most servers are s3

I think this is misleading comment. Any S2 lic holder can join the server, if S1/S2 track is loaded on the server. Not many servers are running Rockingham...

Quote from storckjunior : Now, i just bought the S2 licese and i am very disapointed with the number of servers Frown seems like i lost the train.

Most activity moved into leagues. Did you check LSAV league already?
Quote from MacedoSTI :

Feeling exactly the same. So many people gave up on LFS, so many communities died...
I hope my kids will see a news post like "LFS Team just released modding tools for LFS" and this is will be the new era of our lovely sim.
You judge how a game engine works internally based on the fact it has a data folder? Wow...
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :
you got a data folder etc , just like LFS. i also think LFS would be able to have more natural trees if used this engine. and the sky could be with moving clouds.

if one of you tech guys ever make something LFS with cry/unreal or skyrim engines.
i would be very much interested in knowing about it.

I mean I know you propably mean well, but this right here, from a programming standpoint, is complete garbage. You cannot judge a engine by folder names Big grin.

To port LFS to one of these engines would require years worth of work, especially for just one programmer.
Unreal engine in racing simulator? waste of time for devs
i meant lfs and amount of developers
The engine doesn't do anything unless you have the materials to back it up. While this shows some nice real time shadows, that's pretty much the extent of it. But when LFS gets the update, all the tracks will have updated materials.
It would be very unwise for the devs to use a different game engine.

Scawen and Eric knows the ins and outs of their own system and although it's taking time, they are making the system work to their needs and not having to try and make the assets and code conform to another system.

If you use a third party engine, you have to work to their developer's systems and pipelines. There's probably a lot in there that is not required too because they're a bit like a Swiss Army Knife.

If LFS was a new project and the content was still in blockout stages, then using an engine such as Unreal 4 or Unity may make sense if time is an issue and you just want something to work out of the box and refine after initial release.

But for an established IP such as LFS, it would require a crazy amount of work to set up all art assets so they can be exported using the 3rd Party's exporter or to take full advantage of the engine's features.

Also the same assets may need more materials set up, which is fine if you have a large team who can essentially port it all over to use the new engine's rendering potential.

But then there is also the issue of trying to re-write the code that handles the car dynamics. One of the things that makes LFS survive the test of time, even if rendering tech had overtaken it over the last several years until now.

Plus if LFS were to use another developer's engine i.e. Unity or UE4, expect the cost of the licences to increase as Scavier would need to recoup the engine licence fee somehow.
No. It would take a lot to port LFS's physics (car handling) to Unreal Engine. Yes, it has some built in physics, just not in any way close to LFS.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG