The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6P2 (now P9)
(262 posts, closed, started )
Come on Scawen... Make Forza 6 APEX competitors and Outbid the Graphic Big grin

Cant wait to see the Improvements Smile
get on the hype train
Quote from Scawen :I'm still working on the graphical update and hope to release a compatible test this weekend.

FOR HOSTING ONLY

For hosts, if you have experienced the WOULDBLOCK error, I have updated the first post with an update for the dedicated server.

The send buffer for UDP car position packets has been increased in size.
This may prevent errors such as "UDP ERROR (27) : WOULDBLOCK" on busy servers.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/89703-Test-Patch-0-6P2

40 connections on a 6P2 server - so far so good, no WOULDBLOCK Big grin

(For reference, our stdout is usually >95% WOULDBLOCK messages on a full server)
Test Patch 0.6P3 with realistic mirrors. Smile

Changes from 0.6P2 to 0.6P3 :

Mirrors :

Mirrors are now realistic and include your own car in the image
A separate viewpoint is used to draw each mirror's view
Minor updates to some car models to improve visibility
Mirrors now use the same LOD setting as the main view
Virtual mirror is now available in follow view

VR :

Mirrors now use a full 3D view

Minor graphical updates :

Corrected downward ambient lighting colour (was too bright)
Slight reduction in near clipping plane distance

Multiplayer :

Increased UDP send buffer size from 12KB to 32KB

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/89703
Very nice, I'll get that downloaded here shortly and check out the mirrors! Now that you have that test patch out, here is a light reminder:

A few feature requests:
- A command to add an AI car of set difficulty, might be tricky now that there is /ai name, but I'd really like the ability to: "/ai easy /ai hard" or even use a number.
- In the back of my head I was digging into making a realtime telemetry tool, it sure would be nice if OutGaugePack had included steering wheel angle, but I suspect that is a PAIN to change since it would effect others using it by changing size.
- Any chance of an InSim message, or a command to print the locally used setup? I know you can see it on F12, but that doesn't help my AIRS driver safety check that it used the correct setup. To be fair I understand if that would be a waste of your time since I'm probably the only one to find this useful. I had hoped that it was in Display2[] on OutGuagePack but no such luck. (I have now found and use the /setup command when changing car, still might be useful info)
hmm anything else to expect this weekend?
Quote from MousemanLV :hmm anything else to expect this weekend?

No, the mirrors are what I was working on.

It may seem like a simple thing but it was not at all easy to do properly!
@P3

The GT wings are now massive Big grin

The mirrors are now actually useful. Nice work Thumbs up
Works nice! Great work!
Actually, I think the new mirrors in P3, which doesn't seem like a huge thing, are quite useful and important addition, because when you are racing, you check the mirrors a lot. Great update, well done, looking forward to the next test patches! Smile LFS
Helmet in mirror seems a bit wrong,but I suppose just in such "extreme" cases... Big grin
But really like to have mirror for follow view - even if I have good overlook about situation behind using Aonio,still better to see actual situation or even have a good lough about someone behind whatever he does there. Big grin

Anyway,I have a small improvement suggestion - could it be possible to have server password hiding optionable? Hidden password is very useful for streaming,but for personal only use it's not neccesary,sometimes it's better to see if I have already right password or if there is one charakter to change (typo,copy/paste mistake,whatever reason).
Attached images
Helmet in mirror.jpg
Is there any chance to get adjustable mirrors?
Honestly, I don't really remember but if I recall correctly, even before P3, we had black mirrors while looking at a car in TV camera - the same as in P3. Are they supposed to be real in P3 or still not? If not, are you planning to make this work? Smile It would look great.

EDIT:
I checked out MRT and its mirrors, and seen that with the car being shown on the mirrors, you can clearly see the "less-developed" parts of it. Check these pictures:

Attached images
Untitled.jpg
lfs_00000030.jpg
lfs_00000029.jpg
Scawen, I love you Big grin

Would be cool if mirrors from other players would at least have something that looks like reflection.
Very nice addition, it's those little details that make the sim more and more immersive Smile.

No major bugs spotted so far.

Now some proper shadows and some new shaders for the track/cars and we can have an interesting looking game.
Nice update, those mirrors look now more realistic Smile

Btw, seems like when you install P3, custom camera views will be reseted. Few years ago, I did make some changes on Custom-camera view for almost every car but now with P3, Custom-camera view for every car shows only front tires (at least for me).
I love the proper 3D mirrors, they are huge fun with the DK2. I spent the last hour reverse parking the XRT on Rockingham and Westhill using the mirrors Big grin

However it seems that the mismatch between the physics and graphics rate causes discomfort in VR which I don't experience in Assetto Corsa for example.
Quote from tankslacno :Nice update, those mirrors look now more realistic Smile

Btw, seems like when you install P3, custom camera views will be reseted. Few years ago, I did make some changes on Custom-camera view for almost every car but now with P3, Custom-camera view for every car shows only front tires (at least for me).

Never happen this to me , I have everything as how it were in P2 Schwitz . Try to set up again how it were , maybe you dont fill exactly how you had it but well..
An update on the WOULDBLOCK tweak:

After ~7 hours of a (most of the time) full server, there were a total of 66 occurrences; the vast majority of which had sequentially increasing numbers (often 10+ at a time), so probably due to occasional lag/cpu spikes. 11 were TCP instead of UDP.

Looks like the fix worked Smile
Quote from AnnieC :
However it seems that the mismatch between the physics and graphics rate causes discomfort in VR which I don't experience in Assetto Corsa for example.

I mentioned interpolation as fix for this in some discussion before, and honestly, I don't think there is any better way to adapt to all those different monitor rates (60, 75, 95, 144) other than interpolate all the transforms. It is fairly simple and works well, and that's the way it is done everywhere I know of.
Quote from texxxas :Is there any chance to get adjustable mirrors?

+1, would be an epic addition

I've waited for sooooo long for those mirror improvemens, ty Thumbs up
Quote from Whiskey :Just a quick note: G25 did not have this "soft hard lock", it was introduced with the G27, I guess too many wheels broke apart during the years, it sure sounded/felt bad during the calibration and extreme counter steers.

I've only ever had a G25. Bought the day it came out and still using it. And if I'm reading you right, I think you may be incorrect. The G25 has and always has had a "soft locking position" to help denote where the rotation in-game ends. So for instance, if I set the ingame rotation to 600, I will notice a VERY STRONG force (simulating a lock) once I hit that 600 degree mark on either side. Perhaps it doesnt work as well as the newer wheels (I dont know) but it does exist as a feature on the G25.
Quote from adammcbomb :I've only ever had a G25. Bought the day it came out and still using it. And if I'm reading you right, I think you may be incorrect. The G25 has and always has had a "soft locking position" to help denote where the rotation in-game ends. So for instance, if I set the ingame rotation to 600, I will notice a VERY STRONG force (simulating a lock) once I hit that 600 degree mark on either side. Perhaps it doesnt work as well as the newer wheels (I dont know) but it does exist as a feature on the G25.

We were speaking of a soft limit when turning the full 900 degrees. On the G25 you just hit the plastic on the end, on the G27 the force feedback actually slows you quite a bit a few degrees earlier, so you don't knock so hard.

It is the same limit as you say, but on the G25 it is only done when the wheel is limited to less than 900 degrees, on the G27 it also appears at about 890~895 no matter what you set.
Amazing Big grin . This is a beautiful update !!
I had a small issue at first time running P3 : the mirrors were black, but switching to single player mode solved the issue forever for all other modes. (I was in hotlapping mode from P2)
Custom view, can't see anything through the mirror and can't set the mirror higher.
Attached images
cameraproblem.png
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6P2 (now P9)
(262 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG