The online racing simulator
Using phone as motion detector (Idea)
I used to have a nokia N8, and sometimes I used it as a motion detector using the camera as webcam + FaceTrackNoIr

It obviously wasn't as good as trackir, but with 1280x720@30fps I could have lots of fun, maybe not be competitive, but for fun it was good...

Now I have a android phone, and after 2 hours searching, I haven't found any app to use the camera as 720p@30fps webcam, to be honest I thought I would find a app for 1080p@30fps webcam in less then 10 minutes, but I was wrong...

So I was thinking by myself, the oculus rift don't use camera or infra red to detect motion, it uses accelerometers and possibily gyroscope (correct if i'm wrong)

And the phone also has accelerometers and gyroscope...

So I was thinking, is there any app for android that reads the sensors and send to the computer, so we can use it on games?
Are you putting a phone on your head?

TrackIR4 pricing start at $99, don't go cheap.
Quote from cargame.nl :Are you putting a phone on your head?

TrackIR4 pricing start at $99, don't go cheap.

They don't send to Brazil, and on ebay you only find Trackir 5, which is $183 (with shipping) + 100% taxes (hate this country) so it would be $366, or R$852,72
Quote from Bmxtwins :This was listed as a trackIR retail point for Brasil:
http://www.gsprodutos.com/

still too much money for me... and I want to buy oculus rift consumer kit on the future, that's why I don't want to spend on a trackir now, a webcam 1080p@30fps app for android would certanly fill my needs for now
I actually started experimenting with this. I use FaceTrackNoIr with a PS3 Eye camera which is capable of 75fps at 640x480.. upto 186fps at a lower res but 75 is smooth enough for tracking...
I too thought about using my smartphone magnetic sensor to output the data and then simulate TrackIR using that data.. So far I got the data from the phone to my PC via wifi but been too busy to do any more yet.
It needs a good data filter to make the sensor data to be readable at a fast enough rate.. otherwise the data is all over the place.

There are already apps that do this, but would still need another app on the pc to redirect the data to FaceTrackNoIr or a similar TrackIR emulator.
See these for example:
https://play.google.com/store/ ... rg.zwiener.wimu&hl=en

Wireless IMU will use a raw UDP Stream, like below

Example UDP packet:
890.71558, 3, 0.076, 9.809, 0.565, 4, -0.559, 0.032, -0.134, 5, -21.660,-36.960,-28.140
Timestamp [sec], sensorid, x, y, z, sensorid, x, y, z, sensorid, x, y, z

Using that would save a lot of time and less programs to make.. Just make one that uses this data and sends it to FaceTrackNoIr and you'll have a wireless headtracking device for free
The cost of a PS3 Eye is low but to say it's free is I think a bit too much. Or are you saying that you already have this working and moving on to phone technology?

edit;
Actually I think you do... This PS3 Eye solution sounds nice, did I miss something on the forum or where can I read more info about how to set something up myself?

Quote from DavidTiger :I actually started experimenting with this. I use FaceTrackNoIr with a PS3 Eye camera which is capable of 75fps at 640x480.. upto 186fps at a lower res but 75 is smooth enough for tracking...
I too thought about using my smartphone magnetic sensor to output the data and then simulate TrackIR using that data.. So far I got the data from the phone to my PC via wifi but been too busy to do any more yet.
It needs a good data filter to make the sensor data to be readable at a fast enough rate.. otherwise the data is all over the place.

There are already apps that do this, but would still need another app on the pc to redirect the data to FaceTrackNoIr or a similar TrackIR emulator.
See these for example:
https://play.google.com/store/ ... rg.zwiener.wimu&hl=en

Wireless IMU will use a raw UDP Stream, like below

Example UDP packet:
890.71558, 3, 0.076, 9.809, 0.565, 4, -0.559, 0.032, -0.134, 5, -21.660,-36.960,-28.140
Timestamp [sec], sensorid, x, y, z, sensorid, x, y, z, sensorid, x, y, z

Using that would save a lot of time and less programs to make.. Just make one that uses this data and sends it to FaceTrackNoIr and you'll have a wireless headtracking device for free

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the FaceTrackNoIr get your movement from recognizing your face on the cam, not from some kind of accelerometer, gyroscope, etc...

So in this case woudn't be needed an Oculus Rift emulator, instead of a TrackIr emulator?
Quote from Specht77 :Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the FaceTrackNoIr get your movement from recognizing your face on the cam, not from some kind of accelerometer, gyroscope, etc...

So in this case woudn't be needed an Oculus Rift emulator, instead of a TrackIr emulator?

While it seems to be the case, I must note that FTNIR has a plugin to allow tracking of LED, and it is way less buggier than FreeTrack, so his post may be not that wrong after all hehe
Quote from Specht77 :Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the FaceTrackNoIr get your movement from recognizing your face on the cam, not from some kind of accelerometer, gyroscope, etc...

Yeah FaceTrackNoIr uses a webcam to track your face position etc.. or by using the PointTracker api you can use LED/Infrared to do this..

However.. What I meant in my post was:
FaceTrackNoIr (lets shorten it to FTNI lol :shrug accepts inputs over UDP, which is actually supposed to be used for FTNI to FTNI communication so you can run the tracking on a separate computer and just send the data to the computer you want to use it on.. Saves on CPU when gaming by doing the webcam tracking elsewhere..
Now if you could emulate those packets from another 3rd party app then you could technically use the phone sensor data and send it over UDP to FTNIr and there you'll have tracking by phone movements?
I'm probably thinking about it all wrong this way, but who knows it just may work

Quote from cargame.nl :The cost of a PS3 Eye is low but to say it's free is I think a bit too much. Or are you saying that you already have this working and moving on to phone technology?

No, well yes the PS3 Eye is a webcam after all.. see below for the drivers for windows.
I meant that if it could be possible to do this with our smartphones then it'd be free, obviously for those who have a phone already.
I just mentioned that I used the PS3 Eye as a webcam to track my face at a high FPS compared to most webcams that only run at 30fps. The PS3 Eye can easily do 60 or 75 fps @ 640x480 or 320x240 @ upto 187fps! While this is most definitely smooth enough for tracking I just had an idea to use a smartphone sensor as a wireless, webcamless means of doing the same thing

Quote from cargame.nl :edit;
Actually I think you do... This PS3 Eye solution sounds nice, did I miss something on the forum or where can I read more info about how to set something up myself?

The PS3 Eye works exactly the same as a webcam, after you install the required drivers (here). Then you just setup FTNI as normal like you would a webcam, but this time its more than 30fps which can be a big sluggish a fast smooth headtracking.
Quote from DavidTiger :Yeah FaceTrackNoIr uses a webcam to track your face position etc.. or by using the PointTracker api you can use LED/Infrared to do this..

However.. What I meant in my post was:
FaceTrackNoIr (lets shorten it to FTNI lol :shrug accepts inputs over UDP, which is actually supposed to be used for FTNI to FTNI communication so you can run the tracking on a separate computer and just send the data to the computer you want to use it on.. Saves on CPU when gaming by doing the webcam tracking elsewhere..
Now if you could emulate those packets from another 3rd party app then you could technically use the phone sensor data and send it over UDP to FTNIr and there you'll have tracking by phone movements?
I'm probably thinking about it all wrong this way, but who knows it just may work

Hmmm now I understand your idea, that really seems possible, but complicated :P
It does work, I have done it. Send UDP packets from the phone to pc on port 5550.
Packets contain 48 bytes i.e. 6 x 64bit floats (doubles) in little endian byte order. No other data in the packet, no header or delimiters etc.

Order of the fields is:
X, Y, Z, Yaw, Pitch, Roll
when i first open this i was thinking "yeah this forum has some nice guys and this thread is already done". you guys tried but nah, the idea from Whiskey to use a led as a track sensor with the Playstation camera is amazing, it works, i did this on my college and it works just fine at 75fps. You should try it, i have one laying in my house, if you're from SP i can borrow you mine or even sell you for cheap.
U Can use Trinus Vr and (depending on if your phone has gyroscope or not ) either use phone to track your mouse movements and just apply settings in LFS to move ur head with mouse axis , or just use it on Freetrack setttings with a phone that has gyro , works well for me with htc one m9

Cheers

Using phone as motion detector (Idea)
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG